• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
20 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

Hove care home requires improvement says official report

by Frank le Duc
Friday 1 Jul, 2016 at 2:29PM
A A
0
Hove care home requires improvement says official report

Lindridge Care Home in Hove

A Hove care home “requires improvement”, according to the Care Quality Commission (CQC) in an official inspection report.

Lindridge care home, in Laburnum Avenue, Hove, was rated as good when it came to being caring, responsive and well-led.

But inspectors looked at whether it was safe and effective and found that it “requires improvement” and gave it the same verdict overall.

The home used to be called The Downs and was rescued from closure by Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust when the former owner Southern Cross collapsed in 2011.

The CQC said: “Lindridge is a large residential care home providing care and support for up to 75 people.

“Since the last inspection in May 2014 the home has been through a period of considerable growth and change with an increase in the number of people that can be accommodated from 25 previously to 75.

“This has involved the redesign, extension and refurbishment of the building to accommodate a number of short-term beds for people leaving hospital, as well as a specialist dementia unit and a unit for people with behaviour that can challenge.”

Lindridge Care Home Laburnam Avenue Hove

The report also said: “Not all medication practices ensured that medicines were managed safely.

“Medicines that required refrigeration were not always stored within the required temperature range and there was a recording omission … for one person.

“Pain assessment charts held for each person stated the pain-relieving medicines they had been prescribed. Some entries on these did not state a minimal interval between doses, or a maximum daily dose. These instructions are needed to ensure the safe administration of medicines.

“We checked whether staff were working within the principles of the MCA (Mental Capacity Act) and whether conditions or authorisations to deprive a person of their liberty were being met.

“None of the staff members that we spoke with could tell us about the implications of DoLS (deprivation of liberty safeguards) for the people they were supporting. We identified this as an area of practice that needs to improve.

“Staff were able to demonstrate a good understanding of the MCA including the nature and types of consents, people’s right to take risks and the necessity to act in people’s best interests when required. However, they were not consistent in their approach to undertaking ‘best interest’ decisions.

“People were not always consistently supported and monitored where nutritional risks had been identified.

Medical director Tim Ojo
Medical director Tim Ojo

“One person had been assessed by a speech and language therapist (SALT) due to difficulties with swallowing. However, staff were not aware of the identified risks for this person or the SALT guidance regarding positioning, monitoring and advice stating that the person should be supervised when eating.

“This meant that identified risks associated with eating and drinking were not being appropriately managed.

“Throughout the inspection we observed that staff were spending time with people, providing care but also just chatting and keeping people company.

“Staff rotas showed that staffing levels were maintained and we saw evidence that recruitment to vacant posts was in progress.

“People told us that they felt well cared for, that staff were kind and their views were valued, saying: ‘They do treat me with respect and maintain my dignity. They shut the door and pull the curtains before attending to me.’

“Throughout the inspection we saw positive interactions between staff and people with many examples of staff demonstrating that they knew people well and treated them with kindness and compassion.”

The report also quoted one person as saying: “I think it is excellent here, the best care I have had in my life.”

The report added: “Staff told us they were well supported and that opportunities for training and development were good.

“There was a clear management structure and staff told us that the registered manager was approachable and accessible.

“Morale was good and staff told us that they enjoyed their work.

“People told us that they would feel comfortable in raising any issues or complaints with staff or with the registered manager.

“There was a system in place for managing complaints and that the registered manager was proactive in seeking feedback from people and their relatives.

“There were effective monitoring systems in place to check the quality of the service and the registered manager used this information to drive improvements in the service.

“Staff had developed good links within the local community and with health and social care services.”

The report said that the registered manager was Nicola Stevenson and that Sussex Partnership medical director Tim Ojo was the responsible individual.

A Sussex Partnership spokesperson said: “The CQC provides an independent expert assessment of how we are doing, informed by people who use our services. We welcome their feedback and use it to help continue improving.

“Following the inspection by the CQC we have a clear plan in place to address the areas highlighted as requiring improvement, which includes additional training for agency staff to help them safely store and record the medication given to patients.

“We are confident that we can make the changes needed to ensure our services are safe and effective for the people staying with us.

“Since taking over the running of Lindridge we have made significant changes so we were really pleased that the CQC recognised that our services are caring, responsive and well-led and that our staff feel supported.

“It was also important to hear positive experiences from the people being supported at Lindridge as their welfare and wellbeing is at the heart of everything we do.”

To read the report, click here.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Couple and teen daughter die after getting into trouble in the sea

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Girl fights for her life after three family members die in sea incident

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Father who died off Shoreham beach was Palestinian refugee

Hove care home requires improvement says official report

Brighton Wheel could be back by next summer

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Load More
July 2016
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
« Jun   Aug »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News