A crackdown on caravans and trailers left out on the street is starting this week, the Brighton and Hove City Council said today (Thursday 28 July).
The council said: “A crackdown on trailers and caravans stored permanently on Brighton and Hove’s roads starts this week.
“The policy aims to improve the appearance of streets and free up parking spaces.
“Council officers will be on the lookout for any so-called non-motorised vehicles or NMVs. These include caravans and any other trailer-mounted or wheeled structure, ranging from boats to burger vans.
“In June the council voted to take action using provisions in the Highways Act 1980. This enables removal of NMVs, regardless whether anyone claims ownership.
“Previously, the council would only act on vehicles or NMVS which had been abandoned and no owner found.
“Lived-in vehicles are tackled by the council’s travellers team.
“In a survey earlier this year, 82 per cent of respondents said they supported action.
“In the first instance a notice will be attached to the trailer requesting its removal. If it remains a month later, a second notice will warn of its removal in 28 days.
“A charge will be made for the return of a trailer. Unclaimed NMVs will be sold or scrapped.
“Costs will be recouped by selling or scrapping NMVs or charging for their return.”
Councillor Gill Mitchell, who chairs the council’s Environment, Transport and Sustainability Committee, said: “Trailers and caravans stored on the streets make the area look chaotic and unloved. They are often in a poor state and attract antisocial behaviour.
“It’s not fair that people have to pay to park their car, yet trailers are being stored indefinitely free of charge, taking up valuable space.
“People have supported action and will be pleased this is happening.”
LIKE WHAT WE DO? HELP US TO DO MORE OF IT BY DONATING HERE.