• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
22 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Brighton and Hove nursery staff given extra time to speak up for their jobs

by Frank le Duc
Monday 15 Aug, 2016 at 10:06PM
A A
0
Brighton and Hove nursery staff given extra time to speak up for their jobs

Nursery staff in Brighton and Hove are being given extra time to come up with ideas to stave off a shake up that will cut jobs, hours and pay.

Staff at four nurseries run by Brighton and Hove City Council have until this Friday (19 August) to submit their proposals.

Officials are consulting with employees in the four nurseries about changes to the staffing structure to achieve budget savings.

The council said: “The aim of the changes is also to establish a structure with clear roles for staff and greater consistency across the nurseries.

“It is recognised that the consultation is proposing significant changes. One to one meetings have been held with all staff so the impact can be fully considered.

“The final outcome of the consultation may be different and may vary according to the needs of each nursery.

“The deadline for comments has been extended to 19 August.

nursery generic

“The council has to make savings in all areas to find £45.5 million by 2019-20. Families, Children and Learning has to find £3.1 million in 2019-20.”

When councillors set the annual budget they agreed to end the budget subsidy of £461,000 by 2020.

The council said: “The intention is to keep the nurseries open as they provide high quality childcare in some of the most deprived areas of the city.

“The administration decided not to consider different operating models and to keep the nurseries in-house at this juncture.

“More places will be needed from September 2017 when free childcare for three and four-year-olds with working parents is extended to 30 hours.

“The restructure is estimated to save £140,000 once protected pay has finished.”

The nurseries under review are

  • Bright Start – in the Old Slipper Baths in the North Laine
  • Roundabout – at the Roundabout Children’s Centre in Whitehawk
  • Cherry Tree – at the Hollingdean Children’s Centre
  • Acorn – at the North Portslade Children’s Centre

The Jump Start Nursery at the Moulsecoomb Children’s Centre is not included, the council said, because it was “restructured” last year.

Staff were told that there would be no compulsory redundancies. But with pay cuts of up to £5,000 a year looming, bosses hope at least half a dozen staff will apply for voluntary severance.

The biggest impact is expected to on staff at Bright Start and Acorn where there are currently more experienced and longer-serving staff.

The council added: “All one to one meetings have been completed and staff have been asked about the working hours they would prefer to work and their personal circumstances.

“Staff have raised issues about the changes in grade, reductions in hours and different shift patterns.  These comments are being considered.

“It should be noted that alternative proposals are likely to be more expensive and reduce savings.”

Final decisions will be made after the new extended consultation period ends on Friday.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Labour picks candidate for Queen’s Park by-election

Jury convicts man of raping 14-year-old girl

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Brighton and Hove nursery staff given extra time to speak up for their jobs

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Two Brighton and Hove homeless charities given government funding boost

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

High drama as Sussex and Warwickshire end day two finely poised

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
21 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 84-3 (23 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3 overs) Sussex (3 points) lead Warwickshire (3 points) by...

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Load More
August 2016
M T W T F S S
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031  
« Jul   Sep »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fourth member of family pulled from water in Shoreham dies 21 August 2026
  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Online child abuser given 13-year sentence 19 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News