• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
21 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Mike Holland and foreman guilty of manslaughter

by Jo Wadsworth
Thursday 8 Jun, 2017 at 3:50PM
A A
7
Mike Holland and foreman guilty of manslaughter

Mike Holland

Two men have been convicted of the manslaughter of a carpenter, who fell to his death on a building site in Brighton.


David Clark sustained serious head injuries when he fell through a first floor void while working on Stanmer Park Stables in September 2014 and died later in hospital.

Michael Holland, the owner and sole director of Cherrywood Investments Ltd., and Grant Oakes, the site foreman, were both found guilty of manslaughter due to gross negligence following a trial at Lewes Crown Court. The two individuals, along with the company, were also convicted of health and safety offences.

The building site where the fall happened

The court heard that work on the site had previously been stopped following an inspection by the Health and Safety Executive in September 2013, after they found extremely poor standards in relation to working at height. They noted numerous openings in the first floor, through which anyone working there could fall several metres. They also found inadequate health and safety training had been undertaken.

Following this, Mr. Oakes attended training, including some specifically related to ensuring the safety of those working at height. However, despite this and additional advice from the Health and Safety Executive, standards subsequently deteriorated at the site, leading to Mr. Clark’s fall.

Scaffolding at the site

Gail Purdy from the CPS said: “This has been a complex case to bring to court. In addition to the manslaughter charges, careful consideration had to be given to additional charges under health and safety legislation. To do this, we had to prove there had been a total failure by the individuals and the company to undertake their responsibilities for the safety of their employees on site.

“From the evidence gathered, it became clear both men visited the site regularly and would have seen the conditions, which included work being carried out with voids that someone could fall through, but they did nothing to prevent this happening.

“Mr. Holland completely failed to grasp his personal responsibilities and even went as far as to blame the victim for his own death, despite having previously been advised by the Health and Safety Executive of the measures that needed to be taken on site.”

Holland,69, was convicted of gross negligence manslaughter and consenting or conniving in the failure of the company to discharge its duties under the Health and Safety at Work Act

Oakes, 46, was convicted of gross negligence manslaughter and failing to discharge a duty under the Health and Safety at Work Act.

Cherrywood Investments Ltd. were convicted of failure to discharge a duty under the Health and Safety at Work Act.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 7

  1. Christopher Hawtree says:
    9 years ago

    When will Sentence be passed?

    Reply
    • G Cosham says:
      9 years ago

      I HEAR ITS SEPTEMBER rumour control says 3-5yrs and 1.5 mill fine

      Reply
  2. D.Metcalfe says:
    9 years ago

    Disgrace how Mr Holland blamed the victim (Mr Clark) for he’s own death, you are Director of this firm, and are 100 % liable for the safety of your workers. You owe massive apologies to Mr Clark’s family, and should be fined heavily and the money awarded directly to the victim’s family, also you will have to wait for what ever sentence is handed down to you both, and hoping that you are not going to get away with a slap on the wrist.

    Reply
    • me says:
      9 years ago

      as a tradesman myself and as awfull as it sounds it takes 2 too tango. it is also up to the worker to use commonsense an not put themselves at risk also. once i saw a floor covered in water with power leads running through it an everyone was working, walking an cutting materials in the massive puddle. i freaked an chose not to bring my delivery in through that, baffled at people not caring an walking through. it is also up to the person definitely. sorry to say.

      Reply
  3. Red says:
    9 years ago

    Yep everyone on a site is responsible but H&S law is there to protect the stupid from themselves and that responsibility rests with the management of the site. They have the authority to stop the work.

    Reply
  4. bemused says:
    9 years ago

    Mr Holland is a major shareholder in Facelift Access hire, A company that rents equipment for working safely at height, Facelift always like to name and shame people and companies that flout health and safety laws on their Twitter page but i guess this one will get overlooked, He should be ashamed that a man lost his life so his company could earn more money. It does take two to tango but after repeated warnings Mr Holland still chose not to do anything to safeguard workers on his site, He should be held responsible for Mr Clarks death.

    Reply
  5. Redeemer says:
    9 years ago

    It was Holland’s responsibility to have someone on site to continually monitor and risk assess hazards as they evolve. The fact that the HSE issued a prohibition order, that the foreman went on a course and failed it, the fact that Holland left Oakes in charge on the site afterwards is his failure of duty to all of the workers on site. Workers will take risky short cuts if left to themselves as in this tragic instance.
    In adversity, someone is always worse off than yourself and maybe Holland should think a bit about Dave Clark when or if he is sent to prison.
    RIP Dave Clark

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Two Brighton and Hove homeless charities given government funding boost

Mike Holland and foreman guilty of manslaughter

Labour picks candidate for Queen’s Park by-election

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Firefighters put out blaze on boat at Marina

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Load More
June 2017
M T W T F S S
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
2627282930  
« May   Jul »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News