• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
23 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Funding deal agreed for hundreds of homes in Brighton

by Frank le Duc
Wednesday 9 Aug, 2017 at 10:43AM
A A
7
Stake in Brighton property scheme sold for £4m

Circus Street artist's impression

A funding deal has been agreed to pay for the building of hundreds of homes in the centre of Brighton.

The deal, along with a crucial land swap, means that work on the £130 million scheme in Circus Street can switch from demolition to construction.

Initial piling work will be followed by the start of homes being built in the late summer or early autumn.

The scheme to build 142 flats and 450 student bedrooms on the site of the old fruit and veg market has been more than 10 years in the making.

The site will also include 30,000 sq ft of new office space plus workshops offering start-up space for creative businesses – and room to grow.

The scheme includes a public square, with restaurants and shops targeted at independent traders.

The developer hopes that this will create “an exciting new retail and leisure destination for the city”.

And the arts organisation South East Dance will have its headquarters in Circus Street which will also house studio space.

The developer U+I – formerly known as Cathedral – is able to move forward after agreeing a funding deal with GCP Student Living PLC and Gravis Capital Management Limited.

GCP Student Living is Britain’s first real estate investment trust focused on student residences.

The revival of Circus Street – described as a public-private partnership between U+I and Brighton and Hove City Council – has also been supported by the Greater Brighton Economic Board.

Brighton University has sold its old art college building as part of the scheme while buying the old council car park, on a neighbouring plot, potentially for future student use.

The Circus Street scheme, designed by architects Shedkm, with TP Bennett, is expected to create more than 400 jobs and inject £200 million into the local economy over the next ten years.

The council said: “British firm Henry Construction has been appointed as contractor, standing out for their emphasis on offering local jobs and apprenticeships for young people on the construction.

“Henry has previously worked on the Boiler House at the Old Vinyl Factory in Hayes, another of U+I’s regeneration projects and has also worked on important London regeneration projects including King’s Cross and North Acton.”

U+I deputy chief executive Richard Upton said: “This is a major milestone for our Circus Street regeneration project and for Brighton at large.

“This truly mixed-use project will transform a long-overlooked site, creating a vibrant new place and bringing substantial cultural and socio-economic benefits to this creative and energetic city.

“We are thrilled to be under way with construction, moving closer to fulfilling our ambition to deliver for Brighton a meaningful regeneration project that will revitalise the local area.”

Circus Street demolition by Paul Bennett

Council leader Warren Morgan said: “It is great to see progress continuing on this important scheme in the heart of the city.

“Many people stand to benefit from the new homes, jobs and business spaces, alongside new community and cultural facilities.”

Gravis Capital Management director Tom Ward said: “We are pleased to have the opportunity to partner with U+I for the delivery of this exciting development which will deliver high quality new homes, purpose-built student accommodation and commercial premises in the heart of Brighton.

“We look forward to working with U+I to ensure the long-term success of this project and to exploring further opportunities to work together in future.”

With piling currently under way, most of the buildings on the site are expected to be completed in 2019.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 7

  1. Fishwife, 49 says:
    9 years ago

    “Land swap” – corporate bollockspeak for building slums for proles far, far away from the main site.

    Reply
    • Frank le Duc says:
      9 years ago

      Sorry if I didn’t make it clear but the two plots of land are almost next to each other.

      Reply
      • Fishwife, 49 says:
        9 years ago

        Thanks for clarifying: I stand corrected.
        Ahem
        “Land swap” – *almost invariably* corporate bollockspeak for building slums for proles far, far away from the main site.

        Reply
  2. Simon King says:
    9 years ago

    More student let’s!
    They’re turning Brighton into a student ghetto!

    Reply
  3. Jack London says:
    9 years ago

    so with a housing crisis of unprecedented proportions never before seen – thousands of people on the council house waiting list – thousands of people leaving because of the lack of affordable housing – this council approves a scheme for 450 student rooms – absolutely scandalous – who are the idiots running this place?

    Reply
  4. Glynis Simpsom says:
    9 years ago

    Hundreds of homes for students but where are the homes for the sons aand daughters of Brighton residents?

    Reply
  5. Jon Ward says:
    9 years ago

    Another Student getto! Five years time it will look like another slum area

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Jury convicts man of raping 14-year-old girl

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Funding deal agreed for hundreds of homes in Brighton

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Girl, 6, dies in hospital after being pulled from the sea with sister and parents

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Labour picks candidate for Queen’s Park by-election

Firefighters urge people to avoid dangerous aerosol trend

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex beaten by Warwickshire in three-day thriller

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
22 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 207 (61.5 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3) and 206-9 (53.1 overs) Warwickshire (19 points) beat Sussex...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

High drama as Sussex and Warwickshire end day two finely poised

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
21 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 84-3 (23 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3 overs) Sussex (3 points) lead Warwickshire (3 points) by...

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Load More
August 2017
M T W T F S S
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28293031  
« Jul   Sep »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Motorcyclist injured in crash with car 22 August 2026
  • Fourth member of family pulled from water in Shoreham dies 21 August 2026
  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Online child abuser given 13-year sentence 19 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News