• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
19 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Brighton film producer banned from being a director over £5m scam

by Frank le Duc
Friday 16 Feb, 2018 at 9:35PM
A A
0
Brighton production company shut down over missing £3m

A Brighton film producer has been banned from being a company director after investors were conned out more than £5 million.

They were told that the money would fund a film called Henry 5 (sic) with an A-list cast.

But Michael Cowan, who turns 53 today, failed to account for much of the money and never made the film.

Cowan – full name Michael Lionello Boscardi di Pallavicini di Zoppini Cowan – set up a company called Warlord Productions which has been shut down by court order.

The company was registered to an office in Regent Hill, Brighton, while Cowan lived at a property in The Promenade, in Peacehaven.

The Insolvency Service – a government agency – said that Cowan had been banned by a court from being a company director for 13 years.

It said: “The disqualification order was made against Mr Cowan following an investigation by the Insolvency Service which also commenced the winding up of Warlord Productions Ltd in the public interest.

“Mr Cowan was the sole director of Warlord Productions Ltd, a company which raised money from members of the public who believed they were investing in a feature film, claiming it would have an A-list cast. The film was never made.

“The official receiver’s investigation uncovered that the company set out to raise £2.5 million for the film Henry 5.

“Despite raising over £5 million from private investors, little if any of the money was used for film production.

“Instead, over £3.4 million went in sales commissions and, of the remaining £1.6 million, £1.15 million was paid to two of Mr Cowan’s other companies and £200,000 towards the purchase of a house without any security being taken.

“To make matters worse, for almost half of its investors by value, the company did not keep records of who the investors were or how much they had invested.

“Consequently, if the film had been made and had generated profits, records weren’t held that would have allowed returns to be made.

“When it became clear that the film would not be made, the company was not in any position to repay monies raised.”

Anthony Hannon, official receiver in the Public Interest Unit, said: “Little if any of the large sums raised from the public were used for the stated purposes and there has been detriment both to the investing members of the public and to the reputation of investment in the UK film industry.

“The Insolvency Service will look closely at any evidence of misconduct and take appropriate action where directors have used investor monies for other purposes.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Facelift planned for shop which has been empty for five years

Man charged with raping woman on Brighton beach

Two men appear in court charged with murder in Brighton

Developer plans 12-storey block of co-living flats

Care provider chosen to run council’s £6m new supported living scheme

Brighton film producer banned from being a director over £5m scam

Brighton woman charged after pro-Palestine protest in London

Former Brighton MP gives Burnham a boost

Pavement gullies for electric cars to be trialled

Drowned women now identified, police believe

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Top 5 music performances during this year’s Official and Unofficial ‘Escapes’

Top 5 music performances during this year’s Official and Unofficial ‘Escapes’

18 May 2026
A Bank Holiday Weekend of Art, Music and Food  with Nabihah Iqbal: Imagined, Eternal

A Bank Holiday Weekend of Art, Music and Food with Nabihah Iqbal: Imagined, Eternal

18 May 2026
The Great Escape marks its 20th anniversary with triumphant celebration of new music

The Great Escape marks its 20th anniversary with triumphant celebration of new music

18 May 2026
Whisky Tango Foxtrot, Lantern Theatre, Brighton 22-23rd May 2026

Whisky Tango Foxtrot!

18 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain gods smile as Sussex draw with Somerset at Taunton

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
18 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 253 (71.1 overs) and 113-7 (57.4 overs) Somerset (15 points) drew with Sussex (10...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

by Mark Tiro
17 May 2026
0

Leeds United 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Dominic Calvert-Lewin struck a stoppage-time winner as Leeds dealt Brighton’s hopes of...

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

by Frank le Duc
17 May 2026
0

As Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United, Seagulls head coach Fabian Hürzeler has made one change to the side...

Load More
February 2018
M T W T F S S
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728  
« Jan   Mar »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Man charged with murder 17 May 2026
  • Woman found dead and man held on suspicion of murder 15 May 2026
  • Smurf line drug dealer jailed 13 May 2026
  • Patti Smith: A legend returns to Brighton Dome 13 May 2026
  • Driver arrested after woman dies in crash today 12 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News