• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
23 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Fewer tenants evicted from emergency and temporary homes in Brighton and Hove

by Jo Wadsworth
Wednesday 13 Jun, 2018 at 8:11PM
A A
1
Plans to scrap support service for people in emergency accommodation will expose vulnerable to harm, union says

Windsor Court, where many homeless families are housed by Brighton and Hove City Council. Image from Google Streetview

Windsor Court, where many homeless families are housed by Brighton and Hove City Council. Image from Google Streetview

Fewer tenants are being evicted from emergency and temporary homes in Brighton and Hove even though more people have been housed in this way.

And concerns that tenants were suffering revenge evictions – losing their home for making a complaint – were unjustified, councillors were told.

Almost a thousand placements were made in the year to the end of March, with the figure up from 939 to 996.

But the number of evictions from emergency and temporary properties funded by Brighton and Hove City Council fell to 33 last year from 50 in 2016-17.

While no revenge evictions were recorded, the council’s Housing and New Homes Committee set out some of the reasons that evictions did happen.

These included

  • Threatening behaviour, aggressive, armed police called to the scene.
  • Damages to the property, had a dog, bullied other tenants, abusive to the caretaker and staff at the office and refused to move out.
  • Urinated from the top floor down to the court yard, drunk all the time and very disruptive.
  • Harassment and bullying against another tenant, police called over five times, was arrested.
  • Known drug dealer, always allowed his dog into his room and the building and had parties, disturbing other residents, police called.

Councillor David Gibson, who speaks on housing for the Greens, praised those living in emergency and temporary accommodation for their courage in raising important concerns.

His fellow Green councillor Tom Druitt expressed concern that some residents had felt that they were the victims of revenge evictions but that other reasons were recorded.

A report to councillors said that all 33 evictions in the past year were the result of people breaching their tenancy agreements.

The committee was told that the council now employed two welfare officers for this vulnerable group of residents and that conditions were improving.

Earlier councillors were told that the net cost of short-term temporary accommodation had risen from £516,000 in 2013-14 to £2.77 million in 2017-18.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 1

  1. hovelassies says:
    8 years ago

    £2.77 million in 2017-18 spent without any contracts, quality assurance or protection for neighbouring communities from the fallout of “temporary, emergency” accommodation. Clare Moonan has just managed to secure £500K for rough sleeping yet almost £3 million is spent on TEMPORARY “emergency” accommodation.
    BHCC does not even define temporary – can be months or years at exorbitant nightly rates paid by us, the taxpayer. The troublingly cosy relationships between BHCC and the very special private landlords who sell this substandard accommodation underpins a racket than needs to be exposed for what it is. This model is indefensible on every count and BHCC just turns a blind eye. The excess numbers of deaths of relatively young people in these revolting places should be investigated. The profligate waste of taxpayers’ money, without any contracts, should be investigated. The more you look, the more you find and the worse it smells.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Jury convicts man of raping 14-year-old girl

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Fewer tenants evicted from emergency and temporary homes in Brighton and Hove

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Girl, 6, dies in hospital after being pulled from the sea with sister and parents

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Firefighters urge people to avoid dangerous aerosol trend

Labour picks candidate for Queen’s Park by-election

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex beaten by Warwickshire in three-day thriller

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
22 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 207 (61.5 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3) and 206-9 (53.1 overs) Warwickshire (19 points) beat Sussex...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

High drama as Sussex and Warwickshire end day two finely poised

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
21 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 84-3 (23 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3 overs) Sussex (3 points) lead Warwickshire (3 points) by...

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Load More
June 2018
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
252627282930  
« May   Jul »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Motorcyclist injured in crash with car 22 August 2026
  • Fourth member of family pulled from water in Shoreham dies 21 August 2026
  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Online child abuser given 13-year sentence 19 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News