Social workers assess almost 1,000 ‘at risk’ adults in Brighton and Hove

Almost 1,000 checks were carried out by social workers after concerns were raised about vulnerable adults in Brighton and Hove last year.

The checks – to work out whether vulnerable adults were at risk of, for example, sexual abuse, violence or financial exploitation – are a new requirement after the law changed three years ago.

Already, Brighton and Hove City Council social workers have being given briefings after the death of a vulnerable adult.

A report said that the person “was homeless (and) at times not engaging with support agencies, and with a personality disorder”.

The report said that “advanced level safeguarding training” was also to be provided for senior and experienced social workers. The details of the training course were still being finalised.

But “core training” for social workers known as “lead inquiry officers” who carry out checks – or assessments – of vulnerable adults had been completed by 75 per cent of the relevant staff.

And 65 per cent of the relevant staff had been given “Prevent” training to help them identify adults at risk of being “radicalised” or exploited by “extremists”.

A report to the council’s Audit and Standards Committee said that the training was being given to all assessment service staff, senior social workers and a raft of managers.

With 97 staff having received the training so far, a further 53 are expected to undergo Prevent training by April next year.

The concerns and the steps being taken to deal with them are set out in a report on strategic risks.

It is due to be discussed by the Audit and Standards Committee at Hove Town Hall tomorrow (Tuesday 18 September).

The meeting starts at 4pm and is open to the public.

Councillors are also expected to hear about the risks around housing and support for people with significant and complex needs. 

Leave a Reply

*