• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
17 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Brighton i360 boss to leave next week

by Frank le Duc
Wednesday 3 Oct, 2018 at 5:22PM
A A
6
i360 passengers stuck for two and a half hours as pod breaks down

Brighton i360 boss Steve Bax is to leave the business the day before a key council meeting about the seafront attraction’s financial future.

Steve Bax

Mr Bax, 47, joined the i360 in July last year. His last day in the office – Wednesday 10 October – falls a day before the firm’s finances are scrutinised by a Brighton and Hove City Council committee.

He will be replaced in the immediate future by former London Eye boss David Sharpe. Mr Sharpe has held senior management positions at Merlin Entertainments, the company that owns the Sea Life Centre in Brighton.

Julia Barfield, who chairs the Brighton i360, said: “It is with regret that the board of Brighton i360 Ltd has accepted the resignation of Steve Bax, our executive director, who has decided to leave the company to explore other opportunities.

“His last day in the office will be Wednesday 10 October and he will be on garden leave until the end of February 2019.

“Since joining us in July 2017, Steve has helped the company support many local charities and has worked hard to forge strong links with the local community.

“He has also helped us to develop a diverse portfolio of products and events.

“To ensure a smooth transition of leadership, we are delighted to announce that David Sharpe, former managing director of the London Eye, has agreed to join us, initially on a part-time basis, until a successor is appointed.

“David has decades of experience leading business and operations at London’s top attractions and we consider ourselves extremely fortunate to have secured his services.

“We would like to take this opportunity to thank Steve for his leadership of the i360 team and wish him all the best for the future.”

David Sharpe – Picture by James Hatts

The i360’s finances are due to be discussed by councillors on Thursday next week (11 October) although a decision on whether to push through any significant changes is unlikely to be made before a crunch council meeting on Thursday 6 December.

In June, the council’s Policy, Resources and Growth Committee agreed to give the i360 until the end of the year to make a repayment of £570,000.

But the council insisted on specialist advisers being appointed to explore the options for a financial restructuring as well as a marketing specialist to try to increase takings.

 

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 6

  1. Valerie says:
    8 years ago

    Change of CEO YET AGAIN! Poor Optics ahead of PRG next week. If BHCC opted to sell the debt would anyone buy it? Any bets?

    Reply
  2. T Smith says:
    8 years ago

    Steve Bax seemed like a decent guy, very likeable. Shame if he couldn’t make it work. Good luck for the future.

    Reply
  3. Sb says:
    8 years ago

    Thanks T.Smith for your kind words. I love the attraction and the people that live it each day to give wonderful experiences to our visitors. A great bunch of people, committed and passionate.

    Reply
  4. Fishwife, 49 says:
    8 years ago

    Doing a runner the day before the big meeting: what an utter coward.

    Reply
  5. Kirstie Horne says:
    8 years ago

    Steve Bax is a decent guy, seems to me that this role is a poisoned chalice. Best of luck Steve in whatever your next role is.

    Reply
    • Peter Challis says:
      8 years ago

      Then why does he have to leave the job on October 10, the day before the council meeting and then be on “gardening leave” for 5 months. If he was totally “decent” why didn’t he stay for the meeting to justify the situation?

      Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

Brighton i360 boss to leave next week

Brighton man wins £78k EuroMillions prize

Another Labour councillor quits party to sit as Independent

Farewell and RIP, Pirate Charles! Tributes paid to Brighton legend

Greens pick community campaigner to stand in latest Queen’s Park by-election

Ward councillors weigh in on row over communal bins

Ghibli comes to Brighton

Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn

Three sentenced over Brighton firearms offences

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex finish bottom in One Day Cup group after defeat by Middlesex

by Ben Kosky - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
11 August 2026
0

Middlesex 354-8 (50 overs) Sussex Sharks 262 (43.5 overs) Middlesex (4 points) beat Sussex Sharks (0 points) by 92 runs...

Load More
October 2018
M T W T F S S
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031  
« Sep   Nov »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
  • Derailed train passenger tells of ‘most frightening experience of my life’ 14 August 2026
  • Line to stay closed as investigators look into why train derailed 14 August 2026
  • Police declare major incident as two people badly hurt when train derails 13 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News