• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
20 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

It’s a £3m write-off as officials advise councillors against suing over parking cash debt

by Frank le Duc
Friday 4 Jan, 2019 at 5:23PM
A A
1
Parking cash company crashed owing £3.2m to Brighton and Hove City Council

Councillors are being warned that there may be no chance of legal action against a company that owes Brighton and Hove City Council more than £3 million.

Coin Co International (CCI) went into administration in November 2014, just three months after the council ended its cash collection contract because of poor performance and slow payments.

The company was paid almost £300,000 a year to collect more than £11 million cash from council parking meters and £8 million cash from council offices and schools. It also handled £21 million in cheques.

A report to the council’s Audit and Standards Committee said that taking legal action would be high risk.

When the committee met last July, Conservative councillor Tony Janio said that the council should go after the company even if it was just for deterrent value.

The administrators started legal proceedings for breach of duty against the directors of the company and achieved a settlement of £550,000.

This action, according to council officials, may prevent the council from being able to bring a claim for wrongful trading.

The report also cautions against taking legal action against Coin Co’s bank and the administrators.

It said: “Bringing claims against the former administrators and/or the company’s banker is evaluated as very high risk.

“The ability to bring claims is very uncertain and would need external legal advice.

“In addition, both are large, well-resourced organisations who would therefore be able to mount strong legal defences.

“The legal costs to challenge either would be very substantial and therefore present a very high financial risk to the authority.”

According to the report, administrators believe that Coin Co may have been trading insolvently from 2011, just a year after it started handling the council’s cash.

Administrators found that the company was losing money for years because of a flawed business model and pricing structure.

Moving cash from a wide range of clients across several bank accounts meant that the company could support its cash flow for a while.

Coin Co went into administration in November 2014, owing its creditors more then £10 million. It went into liquidation on Friday 30 November last year.

Problems with delayed payments started in 2012, with the council asking for improvements.

They deteriorated again in 2014 when the council ended its contract in the August and demanded the £3.243 million it was owed.

The report said: “It is now clear that during 2014 other smaller creditors had also given notice, presumably due to similar performance concerns, and this ultimately resulted in the company’s insolvency.

“During the period of performance concerns there were constant communications between officers and the company’s directors, including site visits.”

In June last year, the four directors, former Metropolitan Police officer John Baker, 71, and his wife Doreen Baker, 72, of Hassocks, their son Sean Baker, 48, of Burgess Hill, and daughter Joanne Baker, 46, of Belton Road, Brighton, were banned from running any business for eight years each.

Officers advise the committee against pursuing the directors for the cash as they have already paid substantial legal costs in their disqualification case, the £500,000 settlement and have outstanding fees and costs to pay.

The council is not a secured creditor but the bank Santander is – and it is still owed £333,000 after administrators recovered stock and cash worth just over £2 million.

The council has since reduced the number of parking machines that accept coins and has switched increasingly to payment by card, phone or app.

The Audit and Standards Committee is due meet on Tuesday (8 January). The meeting, which starts at 4pm, is held in public.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 1

  1. sd says:
    8 years ago

    Congratulations to the scammers. Disgraceful.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Couple and teen daughter die after getting into trouble in the sea

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Girl fights for her life after three family members die in sea incident

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

It’s a £3m write-off as officials advise councillors against suing over parking cash debt

Father who died off Shoreham beach was Palestinian refugee

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Load More
January 2019
M T W T F S S
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28293031  
« Dec   Feb »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News