• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
23 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Proposed Brighton restaurant awaits licensing decision

by Frank le Duc
Friday 12 Apr, 2019 at 5:16PM
A A
0
Plans for posh new North Laine restaurant raise fears of rowdy behaviour

Plans to hold wine and beer tasting events at a planned city centre restaurant have been shelved after concerns from neighbours.

Chris Drummond, director of LTC, the owner of 15 Vine Street, and founder of Good Things Brewing Co, told a Brighton and Hove City Council licensing panel that he would not hold such events because of the strong objections.

Originally, conditions proposed by Sussex Police included a limit of 12 beer and wine tasting events a year.

There were 10 objections to his company’s bid to sell alcohol at the proposed restaurant, eight of them from people living inthe street.

It is in an area that the council has designated a “cumulative impact zone” where the number of licensed premises is deemed to be at saturation point.

New licences are granted in the cumulative impact zone only in exceptional circumstances because of high levels of alcohol-related crime and anti-social behaviour.

North Laine Residents’ Association licensing co-ordinators Roy Skam and Sandy Crowhurst spoke about cumulative impact at the licensing panel hearing at Hove Town Hall.

Mr Skam said that adding another licensed restaurant to the area would bring more people, adding to the cumulative impact.

There are 75 licensed businesses within about 600 square metres of the North Laine. The number has trebled since 2005.

Mrs Crowhurst said that 30 new licences had been granted in the North Laine area since 2011, with increasing levels of noise from people coming and going as well as from deliveries.

She described the North Laine as becoming an “entertainment quarter” full of restaurants, bars and pubs despite the large number of homes in the area.

And she said: “We believe the area is saturated and we would not like to accept any more.

“The applicant says their premises would bring local communities together.  We are perplexed by this.

“The NLCA has been in operation since 1976, more than 40 years. There is a strong community here.”

Vine Street resident Clifford Jaques, who has lived in the area for 30 years, said that there used to be just the pubs which had been trading for 100 years or more.

The Basketmakers and the Eagle are at the north end of the street and the Fountain Head and Bison Beer are to the south.

He was concerned about the possibility of people urinating in the street because the premises had only one toilet.

And he was worried about noise and disruption for families living in the street.

Mr Jaques said: “We were particularly concerned about their opening until midnight because opposite there are houses and one parent with an autistic child whose sleep patterns are very severely disrupted by noise. Having this every weekend is asking too much.”

Mr Drummond agreed to accept a condition to keep the doors closed after 8pm.

Aaron Dalton

Councillor Lizzie Deane was concerned that a great deal of focus was placed on the acclaimed chef Aaron Dalton, who is linked with the restaurant.

When she asked if he was an employee or partner, Mr Drummond said that once everything was in place and the venue opened he would be offered shares in the business.

She said: “it would be good for other areas maybe but not here in this street in a former garage.

“I would wish you well somewhere else.”

Councillor Deane said that most of the time North Laine residents leave the objections to Mrs Crowhurst and Mr Skam but this time the neighbours made sure their voices were heard.

Conditions proposed by Sussex Police include ensuring alcohol is served only to people sitting at tables with the exception of special beer and wine tasting events.

Mr Drummond said that he had changed plans for the business from a cafe bar to restaurant after concerns from neighbours.

He accepted a proposed restriction, preventing “off-sales”, saying: “We can see they are of great concern.

“We have listened to the concerns of our residents and have changed the licence we want.”

He accepted that people who were drinking should be seated not standing and said that at the bar customers could watch the chef cooking.

The licensing panel retired to make its decision which will be sent out within five working days.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Jury convicts man of raping 14-year-old girl

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Proposed Brighton restaurant awaits licensing decision

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Constance Marten given permission to appeal against her sentence

Girl, 6, dies in hospital after being pulled from the sea with sister and parents

Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion rout Aston Villa in opening game

Brighton and Hove Albion rout Aston Villa in opening game

by Edward Elliot - PA
23 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 4 Aston Villa 0 Jack Hinshelwood struck twice in two first-half minutes as a rampant Brighton...

Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

by Frank le Duc
23 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion are preparing to host Aston Villa in their opening fixture of the Premier League season this...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex beaten by Warwickshire in three-day thriller

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
22 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 207 (61.5 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3) and 206-9 (53.1 overs) Warwickshire (19 points) beat Sussex...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

High drama as Sussex and Warwickshire end day two finely poised

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
21 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 84-3 (23 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3 overs) Sussex (3 points) lead Warwickshire (3 points) by...

Load More
April 2019
M T W T F S S
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
2930  
« Mar   May »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Drug line controller jailed for seven years 23 August 2026
  • Motorcyclist injured in crash with car 22 August 2026
  • Fourth member of family pulled from water in Shoreham dies 21 August 2026
  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Online child abuser given 13-year sentence 19 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News