• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
22 February, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Latest rough sleeper count suggests fewer on streets of Brighton and Hove

by Frank le Duc
Friday 16 Aug, 2019 at 7:38PM
A A
4
More money for Brighton’s rough sleepers

The number of rough sleepers on the streets of Brighton and Hove has halved, according to the latest figures.

An unofficial count in May found 43 people sleeping on the streets, compared with 91 in May last year.

The figure compares with 66 in March which was up on the 54 people found to be sleeping rough in March last year.

Brighton and Hove City Council said: “Every two months a street count is carried out in the city to capture a ‘single night snapshot’ of the number of people who are sleeping rough in the local area.

“The street count is always carried out at night to make sure those being included are sleeping out.

“The counts are used to increase understanding of the situation in the city and to help direct support where it’s most needed.

“The regular counts are separate to the official annual count that is required by the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government each autumn.”

Homelessness campaigner Jim Deans was sceptical about the figures.

Mr Deans runs Sussex Homeless Support, which has two buses operating as night shelters.

He said: “We have had over 25 different faces through the buses in the last month, with a permanent 14 right now. Eight have been women – and we have three women currently.

“The council’s suggestion that more than half all rough sleepers in Brighton have spent a night on our buses is madness.”

The official rough sleeper count generated controversy last year after a change in the method resulted in a lower than expected number.

The official 2018 count found 64 people sleeping rough, compared with an estimate of 178 the year before.

Last year outreach workers and volunteers physically counted the number of people bedded down in the city after midnight on Wednesday 21 November.

The year before an estimate was compiled using information from a number of organisations with efforts made to ensure that any double counting was eliminated.

A rough sleeper, according the government’s definition, is someone sleeping, bedded down or about to bed down in the open air.

This can include someone on the street, in a tent, doorway, park, bus shelter or encampment.

It also includes someone in a building or other place not designed for habitation such as a stairwell, shed, car park or makeshift shelter known as a “bash”.

The official definition does not include someone sleeping in a vehicle.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 4

  1. Andy Mil says:
    7 years ago

    Nonsense, I have lived in Brighton for 9 years mow and it’s the worst that I’ve seen it. Homeless people and rough sleepers everywhere!!

    Reply
    • SD says:
      7 years ago

      Absolutely spot on, Andy. I wonder what the benefit is for the numbers to be so under reported? This is not a true reflection of the homeless crisis in Brighton and Hove.

      Reply
  2. Pam Jiggins says:
    7 years ago

    No one should have to sleep on the streets, Brighton is a very strong counci and for this to be happening in this day and age it doesn’t make sense, more police,on the streets would help and if they got missions,and other organisations involved it must be possible,its the only way .

    Reply
  3. Jon Horley says:
    7 years ago

    I have a cunning plan – why doesn’t the city, so keen to always appear to be right-on, convert the massive empty seafront erection, King’s House, into a life-recovering long or short stay hostel, complete with full staff accommodation, dining facilities, barber, and community facility? Plus a number of flats for rent at – gasp! – REALLY affordable, all-in prices? If l ever win enough on any lottery, that good luck will go towards ensuring no-one sleeps rough in B&H unless that’s their preference. Meanwhile, properties all over the city lie empty. . .

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Council plans to house more homeless families in council flats

Parents angry over failings that led to school closure plan

Toilet tax plan to hit those in greatest need, say critics

Council plans to close day centre for people with learning disabilities

School building to become temporary charity hub

Latest rough sleeper count suggests fewer on streets of Brighton and Hove

Ex-PM sends claims about former prince to Sussex Police

Hospital marks milestone in £62m A&E modernisation

Brighton PC barred from policing for dishonesty

Trial set for Brighton man charged with trying to rape child

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Bloodworm set to bring their Goth Post-Punk sound back to Brighton

Bloodworm set to bring their Goth Post-Punk sound back to Brighton

22 February 2026
Aussie pub-punkers Mini Skirt announce Brighton gig

Aussie pub-punkers Mini Skirt announce Brighton gig

20 February 2026
It’s time to get all Bleary Eyed

It’s time to get all Bleary Eyed

20 February 2026
Brighton Festival at 60

Brighton Festival at 60

19 February 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion mark Milner’s record with win at Brentford

Brighton and Hove Albion mark Milner’s record with win at Brentford

by George Sessions - PA
21 February 2026
0

Brentford 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 2 Brighton and Hove Albion marked James Milner’s record-breaking 654th Premier League appearance with...

Brighton and Hove Albion to start with four changes at Brentford

Brighton and Hove Albion to start with four changes at Brentford

by Frank le Duc
21 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion are to start with four changes at Brentford to the side that lost to Liverpool in...

Hürzeler says Brighton and Hove Albion may need to ‘win ugly’

Brighton and Hove Albion boss urges everyone to stay positive

by PA sport staff
21 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion boss Fabian Hürzeler has urged everyone involved with the club to stay positive despite the side’s...

Manager of Brighton and Hove Albion’s women team dismissed after allegations

Brighton and Hove Albion dumped out of FA Cup by Liverpool

by PA sport staff
14 February 2026
5

Liverpool 3 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Curtis Jones’s first goal in over a year paved the way for Liverpool...

Load More
August 2019
M T W T F S S
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728293031  
« Jul   Sep »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Driver arrested after man dies in crash late last night 21 February 2026
  • Ex-PM sends memo about former prince to Sussex Police 20 February 2026
  • Teenage BMW driver banned – again 19 February 2026
  • Gross misconduct found after police officer deceived vetting 19 February 2026
  • Fatal crash witnesses sought by police 18 February 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News