• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
21 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Arts and Culture

Festival seeks new Brighton venue – away from helicopter landing site

by Frank le Duc
Friday 15 Nov, 2019 at 7:46PM
A A
0
Brighton music festival cancels opening day

The organisers of a dance music festival want to come back to Brighton but have asked for a new location away from a helicopter landing site.

Land Beyond took place in East Brighton Park last summer but the first day of the weekender was a write-off after high winds damaged the main tent.

As a result the organisers were forced to scrap the line-up for Saturday 8 June.

While the event went ahead on Sunday 9 June, it attracted complaints after a live camel was included among the attractions.

A report to members of Brighton and Hove City Council said that the organisers had asked for permission to use Wild Park in Moulsecoomb next summer.

They hope to attract a crowd of up to 5,000 people each day on Saturday 6 June and Sunday 7 June from noon to 10.30pm.

The report said: “First held in East Brighton Park in 2019, the show wishes to change location due to issues arising from the helicopter landing area in this park.”

East Brighton Park is currently where air ambulances land when bringing patients to the Royal Sussex County Hospital, in Brighton, although a helipad is due to open at the Eastern Road site.

The report to councillors described the Land Beyond festival as “a dance music festival for 5,000 people contained mostly within a structure”.

It also said that the Kemptown Carnival was pencilled in for Saturday 6 June from 10am to 7pm, with a 15,000 crowd expected.

The same report – to the council’s Tourism, Equalities, Communities and Culture Committee – flagged up a new event proposed for Black Rock, by Brighton Marina.

The proposed event is an exhibition about The Jam – a chart-topping band who played their final gig at the Brighton Centre on Saturday 11 December 1982.

The organisers want to put up a temporary building to house the exhibition which is called About the Young Idea.

If they are given landlord’s permission by the council’s Tourism, Equalities, Communities and Culture Committee next week, they will apply for planning permission.

They hope to hold the exhibition from Wednesday 5 August to Monday 31 August.

It opened at Somerset House, in London, in June 2015 and was seen by 70,000 visitors over three months.

It then moved to the Cunard Building, in Liverpool, where 30,000 people went to see it over three months from July 2016.

The promoter, AGMP, said: “At its heart this exhibition will feature a vast collection of memorabilia, fashion, vinyl and imagery from one of the most iconic UK bands of all time – The Jam.

“Previously exhibited in London’s Somerset House and Liverpool’s Cunard Building, we now wish to bring it to Brighton.

“Working alongside Paul Weller’s sister Nicky and The Jam superfan Den Davis, AGMP will add entire new dimensions to the exhibition to make it the biggest yet with a forecast 50,000 visitors.

“Brighton is the spiritual home of The Mod. Where better to host such an event!”

The Jam exhibition, the Land Beyond music festival and the Kemptown Carnival are among dozens of events planned for parks and open spaces next year.

Almost 50 events in total are expected to receive landlord’s consent from the council next Thursday (21 November).

Others include the Brighton Marathon, Hove Carnival and Paddle Round the Pier as well as Pride, the Race for Life and Burning the Clocks.

The decision is due to be taken by the council’s Tourism, Equalities, Communities and Culture Committee at Hove Town Hall on Thursday. The meeting is scheduled to start at 4pm and should be open to the public.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Two Brighton and Hove homeless charities given government funding boost

Festival seeks new Brighton venue – away from helicopter landing site

Labour picks candidate for Queen’s Park by-election

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Firefighters put out blaze on boat at Marina

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Load More
November 2019
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
252627282930  
« Oct   Dec »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News