• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
19 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

Brighton baby’s death could not have been predicted, according to official review

by Frank le Duc
Friday 18 Nov, 2022 at 2:30PM
A A
2
Brighton baby’s death could not have been predicted, according to official review

Asiah Kudi

A review of the death of an 18-month-old baby in supported housing in Brighton has found that “none of the professionals involved could have predicted the appalling nature of what happened”.

Asiah Kudi

Asiah Kudi was found dead at Flat 3, Gochers Court, in Islingword Road, Brighton, on Wednesday 11 December 2019 when her mother, Verphy Kudi returned after six days away.

Verphy Kudi had travelled to London on Thursday 5 December to spend her 18th birthday with her boyfriend. She went to a gig the next night and then to Coventry for a party.

When the teenager returned home to her YMCA Downslink supported housing on the afternoon of Wednesday 11 December, her starving daughter had died.

More than two hours after Verphy Kudi arrived home, she called 999. An ambulance took Asiah to the Royal Alexandra Children’s Hospital, in Brighton. She was pronounced dead on arrival.

In August last year, Verphy Kudi, who became pregnant with Asiah at 15, was jailed for nine years for her manslaughter at Lewes Crown Court.

A month later, a coroner’s court was told that 20-month-old Asiah had endured “unimaginable suffering” before she died.

This week, a “local child safeguarding practice review” was published by the Brighton and Hove Safeguarding Children Partnership which is run by Brighton and Hove City Council, NHS Sussex and Sussex Police. To read the report in full, click here.

The partnership’s independent chair and scrutineer Chris Robson, said: “Before the true circumstances were discovered during the criminal investigation, practitioners and family members believed Asiah’s mother to be a capable and loving parent.

“The review ultimately found that none of the professionals involved could have predicted the appalling nature of what happened.”

The council’s executive director of families, children and learning, Deb Austin, said: “A young life has been lost in awful circumstances.

“When a child or young person dies who are known to children’s services, people immediately want to know what led up to it, what happened and what else could be done to prevent something similar happening again in future.

“And this is exactly why we welcome the recommendations and findings of the independent child safeguarding practice review carried out by the Brighton and Hove Safeguarding Children’s Partnership.

Verphy Kudi with Asiah on the tot’s first birthday in March 2019

“The review found that none of the professionals involved could have predicted that Asiah’s mother would leave her 20-month-old daughter ill and alone at home for six days.

“The review also highlights the high level of support and services that were being as provided to Asiah and her mother and identifies there was much good practice by practitioners.”

The report said: “Whilst there was much good practice by practitioners, this report identifies ways this could be improved, albeit these are unlikely to have altered most of the decisions made.”

The review contained 17 recommendations and Mr Robson said: “The purpose of the review is to learn lessons and make improvements to safeguarding for all children in the future – and we accept the report’s recommendations in full.

“Plans are being developed to take action on all the recommendations. Among the actions already taken are

  • A system of daily checks was brought in immediately at the accommodation where Asiah and her mother were placed.
  • The child of any young parent who has a social worker now has their own separate social worker focusing on their needs.
  • Every young parent placed in supported accommodation has their case regularly reviewed.
  • Children’s social care services have reviewed how risks to young parents and their children are assessed. As a result, protocols and guidance have changed.”

…

Ms Austin added: “Following the death of Asiah, we have strengthened our multi-agency assessments before making changes to a child’s plan and updated guidance on a child’s child having a social worker.

“We are also continuing to improve the process for housing and supported accommodation for children with children.

“Following the report, we will continue working with the children’s safeguarding partnership on all the findings and recommendations. We will all ensure that this learning is embedded in our practices to support people in similar circumstances.

Verphy Kudi

“Social workers in Brighton and Hove do an incredible job and support a great deal of children and young people to have safe lives with potential and opportunity.

“The death of a child is a tragedy and is what every single person working with children and families strives to prevent from happening.

“Our thoughts today are on Asiah and her family and with all those affected by this tragic death.”

The council said: “The inquest into Asiah’s death will take place next year and we will be fully participating in that process. It wouldn’t be appropriate to comment further until that process is complete.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 2

  1. Yibble says:
    4 years ago

    Swept under the carpet 😢

    Reply
  2. PUNTER123 says:
    4 years ago

    good to see the full report on Child Delta = sorry story = what kind of “supportive housing” was it? HMO several flats … child was in there from thursday December 5th to Wednesday 11 December 2019 (not staffed sat/sun 7/8 dec) =
    a practitioner at the supported accommodation knocked on Mother’s door to deliver post on monday. There was no answer; she looked through the letter box and observed the flat appeared cold and empty but did not see the child or mother . Staff checked CCTV but there was no indication Mother had returned nor response to telephone calls. Daily visits by the mobile night team had not heard any noises from the flat.
    ===
    not clear if the flat had any near-by next-door holistic neighbours…
    ===
    sad story

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Huge response after four get in trouble in sea by Shoreham

Couple and teen daughter die after getting into trouble in the sea

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Brighton baby’s death could not have been predicted, according to official review

Brighton Wheel could be back by next summer

Free family art space opens in North Laine

Brighton campaigner on trial over Hamas ‘support’ posts

Ward councillors weigh in on row over communal bins

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Load More
November 2022
M T W T F S S
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
282930  
« Oct   Dec »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News