• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
20 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Train drivers plan more strikes next month

One-day walkouts and overtime ban to disrupt railways

by Alan Jones - PA Industrial Correspondent
Monday 20 Nov, 2023 at 9:29AM
A A
5
Brighton services suspended after train hits someone near Fishersgate

Train drivers are to stage a series of one-day strikes and a nine-day ban on overtime next month in a long-running dispute over pay.

The ASLEF union said that the latest walkouts would “ratchet up the pressure” on train companies and the government to give train drivers their first pay rise in more than four years.

Union members will walk out at different train operating companies (TOCs) on different dates with Thameslink drivers scheduled to strike on Sunday 3 December.

Drivers at Southern, the Gatwick Express and Southeastern are expected to walk out on Wednesday 6 December.

GWR drivers are due to go on strike a day later on Thursday 7 December.

All ASLEF members are due to keep to an overtime ban from Friday 1 December to Saturday 9 December.

The union said that it had previously called all its members out on strike on the same day but, by spreading the action, the ramifications for the rail industry would be “greater”.

ASLEF general secretary Mick Whelan said: “We are determined to win this dispute and get a significant pay rise for train drivers who have not had an increase since 2019 while the cost of living, in that time, has soared.

“The Transport Secretary, who has gone missing in action during this dispute, says we should put the offer to our members.

“What the minister apparently fails to understand is that, since the Rail Delivery Group’s (RDG) risible offer in April, we have received overwhelming mandates, on enormous turnouts, for more industrial action.

“Our members have spoken and we know what they think. Every time they vote – and they have voted overwhelmingly – for strike action in pursuit of a proper pay rise, it is a clear rejection of the offer that was made in April.

“The RDG’s offer – a land grab for all our terms and conditions – was made in the full knowledge that it couldn’t – and wouldn’t – be accepted.”

ASLEF said that it had successfully struck pay deals with 14 companies in the past 12 months, including freight firms, open-access operators, Eurostar and passenger companies in Scotland and Wales where transport issues are devolved.

“We have been unable to do a deal with the 16 train operating companies (TOCs) in England controlled by the government. This is a dispute in England made at Westminster by the Tory government.

“We gave the TOCs a way out of this dispute which they chose not to accept because the government interfered.

“We suggested a significant across-the-board increase for all drivers, at all the companies involved, to deal with the ‘cost of living crisis’.

“Other matters, we said, could then be dealt with company by company because terms and conditions are different at each company.

“Uncoupling the carriages, as it were, would have given the TOCs and the government a way out, and given us an opportunity to deal, at company council level, with any changes and productivity they want.

A Southern train at Brighton Station

“Some TOCs have Sundays in the working week. Some don’t. One size does not – cannot and will not – fit all.

“We will continue to take industrial action until the train companies – and/or the government – sits down and negotiates with us in good faith.”

ASLEF has held 14 one-day strikes during the 18-month dispute, causing huge disruption to services across the country.

Strikes have also been held since June last year by members of the Rail, Maritime and Transport (RMT) union, who are now voting on a deal aimed at resolving their dispute.

The Rail Delivery Group said: “This wholly unnecessary strike action called by the ASLEF leadership will sadly disrupt customers and businesses ahead of the vital festive period while further damaging the railway at a time when it is still getting an extra is £175 million a month in taxpayer cash.

“The fair and affordable offer made by industry, which would take average driver base salaries for a four-day week from £60,000 to nearly £65,000, remains on the table.

“We urge the ASLEF leadership to put it to its members, give Christmas back to our passengers and end this damaging industrial dispute.”

The Department for Transport said: “It is disappointing that ASLEF are targeting the public and hospitality businesses at the beginning of the festive period when there is a fair and reasonable pay offer for train drivers on the table that would take their salary up to an average of £65,000 for a 35-hour, four-day week.

“Taxpayers contributed £1,000 per household to protect train drivers’ jobs during the pandemic. Instead of going on strike, ASLEF should be following in the footsteps of the other rail unions and giving their members a vote on this fair pay deal.”

The Prime Minister’s official spokesman said: “This is yet another wholly unnecessary act which will only serve to harm the railways and risks further driving passengers away from their services.

“We’ve seen the RMT on train workers say they’ll put their offer to a ballot. ASLEF are becoming more isolated in their approach.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 5

  1. Charles+U+Farley says:
    2 years ago

    Wow! A railway strike on the run up to the holidays? Who could have predicted that?

    Reply
  2. #thejewbear says:
    2 years ago

    Roll on Ai railway and the casting of the RMT and others into the midden of history.

    Reply
  3. Pauline Thomas says:
    2 years ago

    Have no more patience

    Reply
  4. Richard Sturgess says:
    2 years ago

    Get back to work lads for life

    Reply
  5. Max says:
    2 years ago

    No more public sympathy when xmas plans disrupted. Get back to running a service we can rely on PLEASE.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Facelift planned for shop which has been empty for five years

Smoke control area to cover almost all of Brighton and Hove

Roadworks crew left tar and rubble piled up against old flint wall

1,500 homes without water

Man charged with raping woman on Brighton beach

Where should new homes be built in Brighton and Hove?

Train drivers plan more strikes next month

Developer plans 12-storey block of co-living flats

Café given go ahead to sell beer and margaritas with takeaway meals

Smoky saunas get up neighbours’ noses

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
PREVIEW: The Covetousness  – Brighton Fringe

REVIEW: Jinkun Chinese Arts’ The Covetousness and Chunxiang’s Schoolroom Prank

19 May 2026
Ballet Central hits Brighton

Ballet Central hits Brighton

19 May 2026
Olly Alexander, Goodbye To Berlin, Charleston Festival, Monday 25th May 2026

Olly Alexander Explore Christopher Isherwood

19 May 2026
Irvine Welsh Men In Love, Charleston Festival, May 23rd

Irvine Welsh updates Trainspotting

19 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain gods smile as Sussex draw with Somerset at Taunton

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
18 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 253 (71.1 overs) and 113-7 (57.4 overs) Somerset (15 points) drew with Sussex (10...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

by Mark Tiro
17 May 2026
0

Leeds United 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Dominic Calvert-Lewin struck a stoppage-time winner as Leeds dealt Brighton’s hopes of...

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

by Frank le Duc
17 May 2026
0

As Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United, Seagulls head coach Fabian Hürzeler has made one change to the side...

Load More
November 2023
M T W T F S S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930  
« Oct   Dec »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Sussex Police detective inspector denies child sex offences and perverting justice 19 May 2026
  • Child rapist jailed for 13 years 19 May 2026
  • Prolific shoplifter jailed after she stole goods worth £2k 18 May 2026
  • Man charged with murder 17 May 2026
  • Woman found dead and man held on suspicion of murder 15 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News