• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
19 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Council told to increase payout to tenant rep over failings

Ombudsman says officials hindered investigation

by Sarah Booker-Lewis - local democracy reporter
Monday 14 Apr, 2025 at 10:16AM
A A
2
Brighton tenants accuse council of failing to fix draughty and leaking windows

Craven Vale

A council estate resident had their compensation increased by the housing ombudsman after a review of a complaint confirmed council failures.

Craven Vale resident Lee Catt was awarded £850 by the housing ombudsman over a series of failing by Brighton and Hove City Council, plus a further £500 offered by the council last year over cleaning issues in his block.

The compensation covers failure to handle anti-social behaviour, failing to make adequate reasonable adjustments for Mr Catt, failing to follow up on cleaning complaints in the block and for the impact of the complaint process.

A senior manager is also required to apologise for the failings either in writing or in person.

The compensation comes after the council and Mr Catt asked for a review of a ruling made in December when the ombudsman awarded £550 compensation.

In its request for a review the council highlighted the £500 compensation already offered in June 2024.

The council also acknowledged Mr Catt was sent misleading information about cleaning in the block and confirmed discussions it had previously denied had taken place.

Mr Catt’s asked for a review as he provided evidence he had reported issues and was treated differently by the council.

In her ruling, the adjudicator, Katherine Brown, said that although all complaint responses were requested for the investigation, the council did not provide them and “hindered” the ombudsman’s ability to consider all evidence.

Ms Brown increased the cleaning element of compensation as the council did not respond quickly enough after a neighbour left faeces in the communal hallway on Friday 20 September 2023, sending a team out in mid-October.

She also increased compensation for the handling of anti-social behaviour and failing to make adequate adjustments for Mr Catt and required the council pay its original offer of £500.

Ms Browns’ report said: “Given there is evidence of record-keeping failures on the landlord’s (council) part, I recommend the landlord conduct a review of its record-keeping processes to ensure they are sufficient.

“Overall, although I believe the determination made at the previous stage is correct and should stand, I also find it appropriate to increase the compensation awarded to the resident and add a further recommendation to ensure the landlord’s record-keeping is adequate.”

Mr Catt as previously commented that his “cards were marked” by the council because he complained about drug dealers and anti-social behaviour on the Craven Vale housing estate.

He has helped rally his community together over the past three years after drug dealers were housed on the estate, and one nightmare neighbour threatened and shot at residents before eventually being evicted.

Partly as a result of his and a neighbour’s efforts, a nightmare neighbour, Alex Holmgren, now 29, formerly of Craven Road, was jailed for 30 months just before Christmas 2023. His home was made the subject of a closure order.

Mr Catt said: “The reason I continue to make justified complaints to the regulators regarding Brighton and Hove City Council, and some its officers conduct, is to give hope to the wider public that when they identify wrongdoing they should persist in their complaints with the correct regulators.

“This way the community will hold those accountable for allowing this type of behaviour to exist within the council even when they’ve been given the evidence directly.

“If they find more residents doing this they will not be able to hide behind their reputations and positions as independent organisations will hold them accountable and reveal their true colours to the wider public.”

Mr Catt, sent the council a “subject access request” – requiring the council to disclose its internal communications about him – after noticing that he was treated differently and services were being withdrawn after his complaints.

The subject access request showed that council officials wanted to “push back” on complaints and regular communication with him even though he was a victim of anti-social behaviour.

His neighbour also made a subject access request which contained the same information as Mr Catt’s. The Information Commissioner’s Office found a breach of data rights.

In the past year, Mr Catt and his neighbour have escalated their complaints. These have been the subject of multiple data breaches, with the council mixing their information and including information from other neighbours’ complaints

Craven Vale Community Association (CVCA) secretary Alan Cooke wrote to council leader Bella Sankey and chief executive Jess Gibbons on Monday (17 March) to complain how the treatment received by Mr Catt and his neighbour impacting on the wider community.

Mr Cooke wrote that two of the residents – highly respected in the community, having helped their neighbours tackle anti-social behaviour and having worked hard to improve the area – were now being treated as “persona non grata”.

Labour councillor Gill Williams, the cabinet member for housing and new homes, said: “We acknowledge the Housing Ombudsman’s decision to uphold the complaint by Mr Catt and can confirm we have acted on all the orders made.

“As a council committed to learning, we have taken on board the ombudsman’s report and will continue to improve our services for all residents in Brighton and Hove.

“We will also continue to work with, and listen to, the Craven Vale community to address their concerns.

“I am very keen to make sure all residents feel safe in their neighbourhood.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 2

  1. Preston Parker says:
    1 year ago

    Well done to this resident for pursing things and taking it to the ombudsman. The council’s complaints process is very difficult to navigate so unfortunately so many valid complaints don’t get to the ombudsman to even be investigated in the first place and shut down before that stage. The council are supposed to record issues that are ‘expressions of dissatisfaction’ as formal complaints, but things often get logged as service issues, when it’s clear things have gone far beyond that point and they meet the ombudsman’s code of practice on the definition of a complaint.

    In this case, it’s quite shocking that the ombudsman says the council “hindered” the ombudsman’s investigation – statements like that are really quite alarming and suggest the council is trying to hide from its failings and prevent them being properly looked into independently. Tenants need to be alert to this, and ensure that the council record their complaints properly, and go to the ombudsman if they have concerns the council is not adhering to its own complaints procedure.

    Reply
  2. David Dawson says:
    1 year ago

    The council don’t care they advise you to make complaints and never do anything about it. Our estate is dirty and full of druggies, they can right off millions from the i360 but allocate a cleaner for two hours a day

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Facelift planned for shop which has been empty for five years

Man charged with raping woman on Brighton beach

Developer plans 12-storey block of co-living flats

Council told to increase payout to tenant rep over failings

Two men appear in court charged with murder in Brighton

Brighton woman charged after pro-Palestine protest in London

Care provider chosen to run council’s £6m new supported living scheme

Roadworks crew left tar and rubble piled up against old flint wall

Where should new homes be built in Brighton and Hove?

Controversial plaque commemorating slave owner removed

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Top 5 music performances during this year’s Official and Unofficial ‘Escapes’

Top 5 music performances during this year’s Official and Unofficial ‘Escapes’

18 May 2026
A Bank Holiday Weekend of Art, Music and Food  with Nabihah Iqbal: Imagined, Eternal

A Bank Holiday Weekend of Art, Music and Food with Nabihah Iqbal: Imagined, Eternal

18 May 2026
The Great Escape marks its 20th anniversary with triumphant celebration of new music

The Great Escape marks its 20th anniversary with triumphant celebration of new music

18 May 2026
Whisky Tango Foxtrot, Lantern Theatre, Brighton 22-23rd May 2026

Whisky Tango Foxtrot!

18 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain gods smile as Sussex draw with Somerset at Taunton

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
18 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 253 (71.1 overs) and 113-7 (57.4 overs) Somerset (15 points) drew with Sussex (10...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

by Mark Tiro
17 May 2026
0

Leeds United 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Dominic Calvert-Lewin struck a stoppage-time winner as Leeds dealt Brighton’s hopes of...

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

by Frank le Duc
17 May 2026
0

As Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United, Seagulls head coach Fabian Hürzeler has made one change to the side...

Load More
April 2025
M T W T F S S
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
282930  
« Mar   May »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Child rapist jailed for 13 years 19 May 2026
  • Prolific shoplifter jailed after she stole goods worth £2k 18 May 2026
  • Man charged with murder 17 May 2026
  • Woman found dead and man held on suspicion of murder 15 May 2026
  • Smurf line drug dealer jailed 13 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News