• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
20 February, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home News

Brighton primary school head leaves after ‘serious accusations’

by Frank le Duc
Tuesday 25 Sep, 2018 at 6:44PM
A A
0
Brighton primary school head leaves after ‘serious accusations’

Suzanne Morgan

The head teacher of a Brighton primary school has left her post after serious accusations were made about the way that the school was being run.

Suzanne Morgan has left Saltdean Primary School, having been “signed off work due to ill health early in the summer term”.

Suzanne Morgan

She earned praise from a former Schools Minister four years ago for the progress being made by pupils from the age of 7 to 11.

David Laws, who was a minister in the coalition government at the time, said that the school was ranked among the top 250 primaries in the country for progress from key stage 1 to key stage 2 – the junior school years.

And the schools watchdog Ofsted rated Saltdean Primary, in Chiltington Way, as good when it was last inspected four years ago.

For now, Natalie Burley is acting head teacher, with Natalie Miller and Katy Reeve as her acting deputy heads.

News of the head’s departure was confirmed when the chair of governors Joe Paxton wrote to parents today (Tuesday 25 September).

He said: “As you are aware, Mrs Morgan was signed off work due to ill health early in the summer term and has been absent from school since then.

“We can now confirm that Mrs Morgan has now left the school’s employment.

“We also need to inform you that serious accusations were made during the last academic year concerning aspects of the school’s operation.

“The governing body has considered the evidence that has been presented to it and has taken appropriate action to ensure the continuing success of the school.

“We would like to reassure our school community that the accusations that have been made are not around child safeguarding issues and that no member of the school community has been put at risk of harm.

“For legal reasons the school is unable to comment further at this stage.

Natalie Burley

“However, we will make a full disclosure about the situation as soon as we are able to do so.

“We would like to apologise for the uncertainty that our level of communication on this matter may have caused.

“However, processes and procedures have, and continue to, dictate what we are able to say.

“All questions should be directed to the chair of governors via the school inquiries email.

“Mrs Burley has done a fantastic job acting as acting head teacher in Mrs Morgan’s absence.

“I am delighted to be able to tell you that Mrs Burley has agreed to continue in her role as acting head teacher.

“We would also like to thank Ms Miller and Mrs Reeve who have agreed to take up the acting deputy head position.

“This will allow for the high standards of the school to be maintained until permanent arrangements can be made.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Council plans to house more homeless families in council flats

Café can become gym after plans approved

School building to become temporary charity hub

New mural encourages tourists into the North Laine

Four surgeries set to move into new medical centre

Brighton primary school head leaves after ‘serious accusations’

Trial set for Brighton man charged with trying to rape child

Man arrested for perverting justice in Cityclean investigation

Drinks licence granted for site just south of St Peter’s Church

Hove man given ‘slavery and trafficking risk order’

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Aussie pub-punkers Mini Skirt announce Brighton gig

Aussie pub-punkers Mini Skirt announce Brighton gig

20 February 2026
It’s time to get all Bleary Eyed

It’s time to get all Bleary Eyed

20 February 2026
Brighton Festival at 60

Brighton Festival at 60

19 February 2026
Caroline offer ‘Total Euphoria’ at Chalk

Caroline offer ‘Total Euphoria’ at Chalk

19 February 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Manager of Brighton and Hove Albion’s women team dismissed after allegations

Brighton and Hove Albion dumped out of FA Cup by Liverpool

by PA sport staff
14 February 2026
5

Liverpool 3 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Curtis Jones’s first goal in over a year paved the way for Liverpool...

Brighton and Hove Albion boss trusts in teens in FA Cup tie at Anfield

Brighton and Hove Albion boss trusts in teens in FA Cup tie at Anfield

by Frank le Duc
14 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion boss Fabian Hürzeler has handed another start to two teenagers as the Seagulls face Liverpool at...

Residents upset by removal of match day guest parking permits

Manchester City fan banned over assault after Brighton and Hove Albion match

by Frank le Duc
14 February 2026
0

A Manchester City fan has been banned from going to matches for three years for attacking a cyclist after a...

Own goal agony for Brighton and Hove Albion at Aston Villa

Own goal agony for Brighton and Hove Albion at Aston Villa

by PA sport staff
11 February 2026
0

Aston Villa 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Jack Hinshelwood scored a late own goal which handed Aston Villa a...

Load More
September 2018
M T W T F S S
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
« Aug   Oct »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Teenage BMW driver banned – again 19 February 2026
  • Gross misconduct found after police officer deceived vetting 19 February 2026
  • Fatal crash witnesses sought by police 18 February 2026
  • Killer awaits sentence in prison 17 February 2026
  • Elections in May could have knock on effect on vulnerable residents, says council 17 February 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News