• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
24 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

Two Brighton ranks to have taxi marshals

by Frank le Duc
Thursday 17 Dec, 2009 at 7:45AM
A A
0

Taxi marshals are to help manage queues as part of a scheme to improve safety when people go for out a night out in Brighton town centre.

The marshals will work on Friday and Saturday nights until April and ensure that only licensed Brighton and Hove cabs use taxi ranks.

They will also stop people queue jumping and discourage anti-social behaviour.

Inspector Paul Betts, of Sussex Police, said: “The use of taxi marshals is a real benefit for many people out at night in Brighton and Hove.

“The scheme will ensure people can obtain licensed taxis safely and orderly in the city centre.

“It will be particularly beneficial over the busy Christmas and new year period and will assist us in preventing crime and disorder and keeping people safe.”

The city’s Crime and Disorder Reduction Partnership was granted £5,000 from the Alcohol Partnership Support Programme for the scheme.

The four marshals, who will wear fluorescent jackets, will be on duty at the taxi ranks in West Street and East Street from midnight to 4am every Friday and Saturday night.

Nada Saha, director of Unite Security, a local employer and provider of licensed door supervisors, said: “The marshals will stop passengers from using a cab if they are obviously not in a fit state to travel and will ask others to dispose of food and drink before getting on board.

“The marshals are there to help ensure the safety of the passengers, the taxi drivers and other members of the public.

“They are supported by the police and their own mobile response unit.”

Brighton and Hove’s Business Crime Reduction Partnership (BCRP) Night Safe manager Nigel Liddell said: “As part of the initiative, the BCRP has supplied for free Night Safe radios to the taxi marshals so they can be in direct contact with police CCTV and officers on patrol in the city centre.

“The radios will also enable them to communicate directly with the Safe Space project in West Street so any particularly vulnerable people in the city centre can then be taken there for assistance.

“Being part of the BCRP Night Safe scheme, the marshals will also have the ability to issue yellow cards to individuals for anti-social behaviour on the taxi ranks and ultimately ban trouble makers from the city centre.

“The marshals will also be given information on people who are excluded from BCRP membership premises and individuals with ASBOs.”

Councillor Dee Simson, a member of Brighton and Hove City Council’s cabinet, said: “This is another good example of how partnership working is helping to keep people safe while they are out enjoying themselves over the Christmas and new year period.

“It fits perfectly with the way we work together to manage the night-time economy, for which we were awarded Beacon status earlier this year, and with our campaign to raise awareness of the dangers of alcohol among young people.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Former Brighton teacher awaits sentence for ‘sexting’ boy of 13

Pub tile developer asks court to make council pay his costs

Palm house turned into butterfly garden

Phone-free restaurant finds permanent home

Two Brighton ranks to have taxi marshals

New bus route to start next month

Opposition overlooked and left in the dark, says councillor

New mayor takes over in Brighton and Hove

Hospital marks £860m project’s helipad and cancer milestones

Father pays tribute to daughters who drowned off Brighton beach

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Oh To Believe in Another World: Shostakovich Symphony No.10

Oh To Believe In Another World

23 May 2026
Robocop vs The Terminator vs Gabriel Featherstone

Robocop vs The Terminator vs Gabriel Featherstone vs direction

23 May 2026
We Are Warriors, Cab Road Tunnel, Brighton Festival

We Are Warriors, Cab Road Tunnel, Brighton Festival

23 May 2026
Whisky Tango Foxtrot, Lantern Theatre, Brighton Fringe, May 22&23rd 2026

Review: Whisky Tango Foxtrot!

23 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Welbeck double sinks Liverpool at Brighton and Hove Albion

Welbeck deserves a World Cup place, says Brighton and Hove Albion boss

by PA sport staff
23 May 2026
0

Danny Welbeck deserves a place in the England World Cup squad, according to Brighton and Hove Albion head coach Fabian...

Sussex Sharks open T20 Blast with a win

Sussex off to a winning start in the Blast

by Martin Smith - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
22 May 2026
0

Essex 191-5 (20 overs) Sussex Sharks 192-4 (16 overs) Sussex Sharks win by 6 wickets John Simpson hurried Sussex Sharks...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain gods smile as Sussex draw with Somerset at Taunton

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
18 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 253 (71.1 overs) and 113-7 (57.4 overs) Somerset (15 points) drew with Sussex (10...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Load More
December 2009
M T W T F S S
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28293031  
« Nov   Jan »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Former assistant head awaits sentence for ‘sexting’ boy of 13 23 May 2026
  • Biggest hospital in Sussex marks two key milestones 22 May 2026
  • Detective arrested on suspicion of drink driving 21 May 2026
  • First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Sussex 20 May 2026
  • Man jailed for burglary, theft and fraud 20 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News