• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
22 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Brighton and Hove Conservatives want firms to pay for digging up roads

by Frank le Duc
Wednesday 12 Oct, 2011 at 3:41PM
A A
1

Brighton and Hove Greens are being urged to charge utility companies fees for digging up the roads.

The opposition Conservatives on Brighton and Hove City Council say that the measure is necessary “to tackle the blight of never-ending roadworks on the city’s streets”.

Councillor Andrew Wealls has put down a motion to be discussed at the council meeting next Thursday (20 October).

He said: “Clearly roadworks are necessary in order to provide and maintain the essential services and transport networks on which the residents of Brighton and Hove depend.

“However, this does not give the operators carte blanche to dig up the road and pavement wherever and whenever they want.

“We would like the Green administration to take advantage of the measures currently on offer from the government to improve the situation for residents, visitors and businesses alike.”

Cost

He favours the council charging permit or lane rental fees to utility companies carrying out works.

And he pointed out that traffic congestion caused by roadworks carries a considerable cost to residents, businesses and visitors.

Nationally, the Tories put the cost of the disruption to the economy caused by roadworks at £4 billion a year.

He said that where charging for permits had been introduced in parts of London it had led to a much more co-ordinated approach to roadworks and significantly reduced disruption.

The government is also consulting on giving councils more power to use lane rental schemes to incentivise utility companies and councils to complete roadworks more quickly and at less disruptive times.

It would also encourage co-operation between utilities and is designed to end the practice of the same stretch of road being dug up by different operators in quick succession.

Councillor Geoffrey Theobald, leader of the Conservative group, said: “I’m sure residents know how deeply frustrating it can be when you have to sit in a seemingly permanent traffic jam, unable to get to work or drop the children off at school, because the utilities are digging up the road.

“We are calling on the Green administration to look at how they can be incentivised to carry out works at times when they will cause much less disruption to local people going about their everyday business.

“I hope that this will be welcomed by everyone in the city.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 1

  1. Valerie Paynter says:
    15 years ago

    Well, well, well! I’m not used to seeing the Conservatives come up with really useful, practical & constructive ideas. In this case, borrowed from London. Nevertheless, it is brilliant and I hope the Greens acknowledge and support Andrew Weall’s Notice of Motion.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Labour picks candidate for Queen’s Park by-election

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Two Brighton and Hove homeless charities given government funding boost

Brighton and Hove Conservatives want firms to pay for digging up roads

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

High drama as Sussex and Warwickshire end day two finely poised

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
21 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 84-3 (23 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3 overs) Sussex (3 points) lead Warwickshire (3 points) by...

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Load More
October 2011
M T W T F S S
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31  
« Sep   Nov »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News