Brighton flat fire blamed on cigarette

Posted On 17 Dec 2014 at 6:31 pm

Fire damaged a flat in Brighton late last night (Tuesday 16 December).

East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service said: “Cigarettes are thought to have caused a fire in Brighton, prompting renewed warnings about smoking at home.

“A man was rescued from a third floor flat by East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service, who responded to a call received shortly before midnight.

“Crews from Preston Circus and Roedean attended the scene in St George’s Terrace.

“An investigation into the cause has concluded it was accidental with cigarettes as the most likely cause.

“The effects of incidents like this can be devastating upon individuals and families so we are asking the people of Brighton and Hove and East Sussex to be more aware of the increased risk of a fire within their home when smoking.

“Never smoke in bed. Take care when you’re tired. It’s very easy to fall asleep while your cigarette is still burning and set furniture alight.

“Never smoke when under the influence of drugs or alcohol. If your lit cigarette starts a fire you could be less able to escape.

“Put it out, right out! Make sure your cigarette is fully extinguished.

“Fit a smoke alarm and test it weekly. A working smoke alarm can buy you valuable time to get out, stay out and call 999.

“Never leave lit cigarettes, cigars or pipes unattended. They can easily overbalance as they burn down.

“Use a proper, heavy ashtray that can’t tip over easily and is made of a material that won’t burn.”

The fire service said that it offered free home safety visits for more vulnerable members of the community and had more information at http://www.esfrs.org/communitySafety.

Leave a Reply

*

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.