Four more Brighton and Hove stations to get cycle hubs

Posted On 17 Mar 2015 at 7:13 pm

Four more Brighton and Hove railway stations are to have cycle hubs after the announcement of £765,000 funding.

Hove, Portslade, London Road and Moulsecoomb stations will build cycle parking for an extra 390 bikes combined.

The Department for Transport funding will pay for 90 per cent of the capital costs, with the remaining 10 per cent coming from Brighton and Hove City Council and Southern Rail providing staff time and other resources.

Ian Davey, the council’s lead councillor for transport, said: “I am delighted that, working with our partners at Southern Rail, we have secured a further £765,000 for cycle facilities at four more stations across the city, including Portslade, Hove, London Road and Moulsecoomb.

“This builds on our success, through numerous projects, in supporting more people to travel by bike.

“Not least of these is the new cycle hub at Brighton Station which now offers secure parking and will soon provide maintenance services and a café.

“All this is great news for the city in helping us toward a truly integrated approach to transport.”

A new £1.5 million cycle hub at Brighton Station, with provision for 500 bikes, a café and maintenance support, is due to open on Thursday 26 March.

Hove and Portslade stations will each have new cycle hubs, like the Brighton Station one, housing secure cycle parking alongside hire and maintenance services.

The Hove scheme will cost £350,000 and provide spaces for 150 bikes while the Portslade scheme will cost £450,000, converting an unused listed building to provide spaces for 200 bikes

London Road and Moulsecoomb stations will see more modest schemes to provide covered cycle parking for 20 bikes at each, as well as CCTV, lighting and signage, costing a total of £50,000.

  1. Gerald Wiley Reply

    The great Brighton Station Hub that has room for 500 cyclists and has so far only ever seen a maximum of 7 bikes according to workmen at the site – cyclists preferring to use ordinary racks or bike stands in Queen’s Road.

    So I make that a subsidy of about £200k per bike.

    Well at least it will be a farewell gift from Davey before he is ejected from the council in May after the embarrassment of wasting millions of pounds if council tax and government funds on his other anti-motorist campaigns that have been unmitigated disasters.

Leave a Reply

*

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.