• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
18 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

120 tonnes of Pride rubbish cleared from Brighton’s streets

by Jo Wadsworth
Monday 3 Aug, 2015 at 4:47PM
A A
2
120 tonnes of Pride rubbish cleared from Brighton’s streets

The city’s street cleaners and refuse collectors worked around the clock to pick up 12 dustcart loads of rubbish from Brighton’s streets during Pride weekend.

St James Clean UpA team of street cleaners followed the procession and other CityClean staff worked in shifts until 2am to collect 120 tonnes of rubbish from the streets and litter bins, some of which had been installed along the procession route.

The clean-up finished with jet washing of streets and pavements.

Councillor Gill Mitchell, chair of the city council’s environment committee, said: “Our street cleaners do a tremendous job to keep the city clean during the busiest weekend of the year.

“We would urge everyone to support them by disposing of their litter responsibly – putting it in one of the litter or recycling bins; or by taking any rubbish home with them.”

The annual Pride festival is the biggest stand-alone event that takes placed in the city and is estimated to inject around £13.5 million into the local economy.

Brighton and Hove City Council also thanked event organisers Pride CIC, as well as the emergency services and the army of volunteers who helped make the 25th year of the event such a success – despite the last minute parade reroute after the seafront bomb scare.

Coun Mitchell, said: “It was a fantastic 25th Pride, probably the best ever and I’d like to thank the event organisers Pride CIC, Sussex Police, partners and volunteers who acted quickly and calmly to reschedule the parade.

“The fact that Pride has survived and grown in such a positive way, harnessing the goodwill of so many people, is testament to the efforts of those involved who work so hard to make this event a success year on year.”

St John Ambulance provided more than 100 volunteers to give medical care throughout the weekend, the 16th year they have worked with Pride in Brighton & Hove.

As well as the council’s own events and seafront teams, staff throughout the organisation provided support for the event, from children’s services which set up outreach support for young people, to transport which managed the road network.

The council’s tourism arm VisitBrighton welcomed a number of LGBT travel journalists from around the world to the city over the Pride weekend, including Brazil, USA and Germany.

Acting chief executive Geoff Raw said: “This is a great example of a community led event that brings enjoyment and economic benefits as well as showcasing Brighton and Hove as a city of fairness and equality.

“We’re proud to play a part in enabling the enthusiasm, creativity and desire to work together that makes Pride in Brighton & Hove such a success.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 2

  1. Gillian Dean says:
    11 years ago

    What a pity that following the incredibly efficient and professional setting up of the Pride Camp at Waterhall the travellers took advantage of the temporary access points and have set up a huge encampment to the detriment of Council Tax payers who enjoy this amenity. Sadly, the whole area is now out of bounds.

    Reply
  2. E P Campbell says:
    8 years ago

    Not a single prosecution for litter in that 120 tons of discarded waste on our streets. Had they been illegally parked motorists, the council would have raked in £££millions.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

120 tonnes of Pride rubbish cleared from Brighton’s streets

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

Ward councillors weigh in on row over communal bins

Free family art space opens in North Laine

Brighton man wins £78k EuroMillions prize

Another Labour councillor quits party to sit as Independent

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Greens pick community campaigner to stand in latest Queen’s Park by-election

Huge response after four get in trouble in sea by Shoreham

Conservation charity urges companies to use native wildflowers in displays

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex finish bottom in One Day Cup group after defeat by Middlesex

by Ben Kosky - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
11 August 2026
0

Middlesex 354-8 (50 overs) Sussex Sharks 262 (43.5 overs) Middlesex (4 points) beat Sussex Sharks (0 points) by 92 runs...

Load More
August 2015
M T W T F S S
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31  
« Jul   Sep »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
  • Derailed train passenger tells of ‘most frightening experience of my life’ 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News