• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
17 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

Brighton hospital bosses outline steps to tackle shortage of beds and criticisms of performance

by Frank le Duc
Friday 15 Jan, 2016 at 12:09PM
A A
0

Bosses at Brighton and Hove’s main hospital said that steps were being taken to tackle a shortfall of beds and improve care for patients.

Inspectors from the Care Quality Commission (CQC) will revisit the hospital in April to see how the measures are working.

Senior doctors and board members from Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals NHS Trust (BSUH) said that new wards were being opened to meet the shortfall of 94 beds.

They said that the shortfall had affected the ability of medical staff to see patients promptly in the Accident and Emergency (A&E) Department at the Royal Sussex County Hospital.

Amanda Fadero
Amanda Fadero

The new capacity included the opening of the Newhaven Community Ward. The 20-bed ward is on the site of the old Newhaven Downs Hospital.

It is being run by Sussex Community NHS Trust (SCT) for patients who have been discharged by BSUH from the Royal Sussex County Hospital or the Princess Royal Hospital (PRH).

BSUH has also opened Plumpton Ward in Haywards Heath, with 20 beds which are helping to relieve pressure on the Emergency Department.

Chief nurse Sherree Fagge said that she was looking forward to welcoming 50 inspectors for the CQC visit – and said the more the better.

They will, she said, be able to get out into the hospital and its wards and see some world class doctors, nurses and care.

And they will speak to staff and patients about the care being provided.

The week-long inspection is scheduled to start on Monday 4 April and end on Friday 8 April.

Sherree Fagge
Sherree Fagge

Acting trust chief executive Amanda Fadero that the trust was determined to improved “the unscheduled care pathways” for the benefit of patients. But, she added: “This is not a quick fix. This has to be about sustainable long-term change.”

She said that the changes were clinically led and aimed at improving quality and safety.

Sherree Fagge and Amanda Fadero were joined by BSUH chief operating officer Mark Smith, A&E consultant Martin Duff and Sarah Doffman, a clinical director at the trust.

They were sharing the challenges and the steps they were taking with members of Brighton and Hove City Council.

The council’s Overview and Scrutiny Committee called the special meeting because of concerns arising from two CQC inspections in the past two years.

The CQC said in August 2014 that the trust “requires improvement” and in October last year that there were too few staff and a lack of facilities.

The trust said that the eight-year £485 million modernisation would help but it was already rigorously looking at ways to improve processes and procedures in the meantime.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

Brighton hospital bosses outline steps to tackle shortage of beds and criticisms of performance

Brighton man wins £78k EuroMillions prize

Farewell and RIP, Pirate Charles! Tributes paid to Brighton legend

Another Labour councillor quits party to sit as Independent

Greens pick community campaigner to stand in latest Queen’s Park by-election

Ghibli comes to Brighton

Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn

Three sentenced over Brighton firearms offences

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury Flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ celebrates 30th anniversary as punk rock turns 50 – Day Two Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ celebrates 30th anniversary as punk rock turns 50 – Day Two Report

14 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex finish bottom in One Day Cup group after defeat by Middlesex

by Ben Kosky - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
11 August 2026
0

Middlesex 354-8 (50 overs) Sussex Sharks 262 (43.5 overs) Middlesex (4 points) beat Sussex Sharks (0 points) by 92 runs...

Load More
January 2016
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
« Dec   Feb »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
  • Derailed train passenger tells of ‘most frightening experience of my life’ 14 August 2026
  • Line to stay closed as investigators look into why train derailed 14 August 2026
  • Police declare major incident as two people badly hurt when train derails 13 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News