• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
24 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

Violence sparks Brighton pub squat raid

by Jo Wadsworth
Monday 1 Feb, 2016 at 11:08AM
A A
2
Violence sparks Brighton pub squat raid

A string of violent attacks at a Brighton pub squat led to a raid and the arrest of five people for stealing electricity yesterday morning.

Lectern squat
More than 30 people were found in the Lectern Pub in Pelham Terrace, Lewes Road, when officers forced entry at 10.38am after being called to reports of a fight in which someone was said to have been seriously injured.

 

 

Five of the occupants were arrested on suspicion of abstracting electricity, including one man who was found hiding in the building following a police search. Those arrested, four men aged 25,21,27 and 42, and one women aged 21, are currently in custody for interview and further enquiries.

Two people received hospital treatment for injuries believed to have been caused whilst they were in the squat. The injuries are not reported to be serious. Several other people had sustained injuries but refused any medical treatment. No police officers were injured.

Officers are carrying out enquiries to try and determine how the injuries and damage were caused.

The pub, owned by Jersey-registered New Leaf Investments, has been closed for a year, and a notice informing squatters of an eviction hearing was posted on the door on January 20.

The outcome of the hearing, which was held on Wednesday, is not known as it was held in chambers at Brighton County Court.

However, it is clear the squatters had not left, as officers had been called to reports of three separate incidents of violence overnight on Saturday (30 January) at the address.

On each occasion despite officers arriving and offering assistance no-one from the squat would provide any account of what had allegedly occurred or even identify themselves as the people who called.

Chief Inspector Katy Woolford said; “Although this incident did require a significant police response it was important to deal robustly with those inside, and to secure the premises quickly as people had been hurt and there is clear evidence of criminality. This was achieved in less than an hour.

“The building was in a state of squalor. The internal fabric of the building had been smashed, graffiti was sprayed on most walls and fixtures inside were destroyed.

“We have made arrangements for the building to be secured to stop re-entry and to prevent any further disruption to the local community.

“We would like to thank local people for their patience during this incident.”

At the height of the incident there were briefly some 20 police officers at the scene, but the situation was quickly brought under control and most officers were able to be redeployed elsewhere.

Several power tools that it is suspected may have been stolen from vans in and around Brighton were found during the police search. Anyone who believes that the tools belong to them is asked to contact the police via 101@sussex.pnn.police.uk or call 101, quoting serial 471 of 31/01.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 2

  1. Arthur Pendragon says:
    10 years ago

    They bring shame on the majority of decent socially minded squatting tradition in the UK. Homes not Landbanking!

    Reply
    • Jim Villors says:
      10 years ago

      “Decent socially minded squatting tradition”? Keep out of what is not your property!

      Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Pub tile developer asks court to make council pay his costs

Former Brighton teacher awaits sentence for ‘sexting’ boy of 13

Palm house turned into butterfly garden

Violence sparks Brighton pub squat raid

Phone-free restaurant finds permanent home

New bus route to start next month

Opposition overlooked and left in the dark, says councillor

New mayor takes over in Brighton and Hove

Hospital marks £860m project’s helipad and cancer milestones

Missing boy found safe

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Max Cooper announces two 3D/AV shows

Max Cooper announces two 3D/AV shows

24 May 2026
Here’s a night out not to be missed!

Here’s a night out not to be missed!

24 May 2026
Irvine Welsh, Men In Love, Charleston Festival, 23rd May 2026

Irvine Welsh charms the Charleston Festival

24 May 2026
Oh To Believe in Another World: Shostakovich Symphony No.10

Oh To Believe In Another World

23 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion reach Europe despite losing to Man Utd

Brighton and Hove Albion reach Europe despite losing to Man Utd

by Ed Elliot - PA
24 May 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Manchester United 3 The Seagulls have qualified for European football for only the second time...

All to play for as Brighton and Hove Albion host Manchester United

All to play for as Brighton and Hove Albion host Manchester United

by Frank le Duc
24 May 2026
0

Fabian Hürzeler has made three changes from last week as Brighton and Hove Albion host Manchester United in the final...

Welbeck double sinks Liverpool at Brighton and Hove Albion

Welbeck deserves a World Cup place, says Brighton and Hove Albion boss

by PA sport staff
23 May 2026
0

Danny Welbeck deserves a place in the England World Cup squad, according to Brighton and Hove Albion head coach Fabian...

Sussex Sharks open T20 Blast with a win

Sussex off to a winning start in the Blast

by Martin Smith - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
22 May 2026
0

Essex 191-5 (20 overs) Sussex Sharks 192-4 (16 overs) Sussex Sharks win by 6 wickets John Simpson hurried Sussex Sharks...

Load More
February 2016
M T W T F S S
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
29  
« Jan   Mar »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Woman dies as car and motorbikes crash 24 May 2026
  • Former assistant head awaits sentence for ‘sexting’ boy of 13 23 May 2026
  • Biggest hospital in Sussex marks two key milestones 22 May 2026
  • Detective arrested on suspicion of drink driving 21 May 2026
  • First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Sussex 20 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News