• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
18 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

£11m scheme to rebuild Brighton seafront shelter hall given planning approval

by Frank le Duc
Thursday 15 Sep, 2016 at 10:06AM
A A
0
£11m scheme to rebuild Brighton seafront shelter hall given planning approval

An artist's impression of the proposed replacement Shelter Hall on Brighton seafront

An £11 million scheme to demolish and rebuild the Victorian shelter hall on Brighton seafront has been approved by councillors.

The application – by Brighton and Hove City Council – was approved by the council’s Planning Committee at the first meeting held in the newly refurbished council chamber at Hove Town Hall.

As part of the plans a new kiosk will also be built on the upper promenade opposite the bottom of West Street – a junction used by 36,000 cars, vans and lorries a day, 30,000 pedestrians and 2,500 cyclists.

The old kiosk is likely to be moved to the seafront near the bottom of East Street.

A report to members yesterday (Wednesday 14 September) said: “Planning permission is sought to demolish the existing Shelter Hall building and external public steps from the upper to the lower promenade.

“The current building partially holds up the A259 seafront road and is structurally unsound.

“It is proposed to erect a new two-storey building at the lower promenade level incorporating partial mezzanine floor.”

The building is expected to house a shop, restaurant and seafront public toilets.

The report said that the replacement building would have more than twice the floor area of the 19th century original and would project further south towards the sea.

It said: “It would have a similar geometric design incorporating some traditional elements although it would be a contemporary design.

“A single-storey rotunda building for use as a café/restaurant is proposed on the upper promenade level to replace the previous listed hot food take away kiosk that was recently removed for re-erection elsewhere on the seafront.

“The new building would be significantly larger than the previous kiosk and would be located on a raised podium … reached by a set of open steps and ramps.

“New external public steps are proposed from the upper to lower promenade of a different orientation to the promenade than previously and they would have traditional railings to match the existing listed railings along the seafront.

“As landowner, the council is the applicant for this scheme. As it involves a partial highways structure, this scheme is primarily funded (with £9 million) by the Department for Transport from the government’s Highways Maintenance Challenge Fund.”

The council is putting in £1.7 million from the Local Transport Plan.

An artist's impression of the proposed replacement Shelter Hall on Brighton seafront
An artist’s impression of the proposed replacement Shelter Hall on Brighton seafront

The report added: “Works to provide a new flood defence wall, seafront walkway and external

lighting have recently been completed by the Highways Team separate to this application under ‘permitted development rights’.”

Planning Committee members were shown pictures of the interior which is currently supported by props at a cost of more than £100,000 a year.

They were told that the scheme would double the commercial space, bringing in vital revenue for the council which could contribute to future upkeep of the seafront.

The junction of West Street and the A259 King’s Road above would also be remodelled to improve safety and the environment.

Work started on the first phase of the project in October last year. The next phase will mean closing the pedestrian tunnel under the seafront from Monday (19 September) until next spring. The aim is to reopen it before Easter.

The plans were broadly welcomed, with some reservations. It was pointed out that the council – as landowner, applicant and developer – had behaved in ways that it would not tolerate from others.

The structurally unsound Shelter Hall on Brighton seafront is to be rebuilt after the previous tenant, Riptide Gym, was forced to move out because of the condition of the building
The structurally unsound Shelter Hall on Brighton seafront is to be rebuilt after the previous tenant, the Riptide Gym, was forced to move out because of the condition of the building

The Conservation Advisory Group said that it welcomed the proposal in principle but recommended that the Planning Committee refused the plans because “the information provided is either inadequate or inconsistent”.

Conservation Advisory Group representative Jim Gowans was diplomatic in his criticism of the council for not sharing its plans, particularly the detail, early enough and fully enough with the public.

He added: “Perhaps the applicant could ensure the railings are painted at least every century and do not fall into a state of disrepair.”

Councillor Clare Moonan said: “We’ve got a very sympathetic development here.”

Councillor Carol Theobald said: “The city is very lucky to have £11 million funding for this. I’m very impressed with the design. I think it’s a great improvement for the seafront. It’s wonderful.”

Councillor Lynda Hyde said: “It’s extremely poor that the Conservation Advisory Group was not consulted in an appropriate manner – the plans are not perfect but they’re very good, particularly as the applicant is the council.”

Councillor Lloyd Russell-Moyle said: “It is a really rather magnificent plan. It will be an asset and I will be voting for it.”

Councillor Julie Cattell, who chairs the Planning Committee, said that the new building would be putting back something that hasn’t been used for its original purpose for many years.

The Shelter Hall would once again offer shelter from the weather – wind, rain or hot sun – for a cup of tea.

She added: “This is a vital project to keep the seafront road operating. At the same time it will greatly improve the environment around the bottom of West Street and generate revenue which could help maintain the fabric of the seafront into the future.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Former Brighton MP gives Burnham a boost

Pavement gullies for electric cars to be trialled

£11m scheme to rebuild Brighton seafront shelter hall given planning approval

Drowned women now identified, police believe

Labour picks candidate for Goldsmid by-election

Care provider chosen to run council’s £6m new supported living scheme

New Greggs update: A27 traffic chaos to end within 24 hours, says MP

Woman admits pulling fellow mum’s braids out and smashing glasses during school run attack

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

i360 UFO delusions lead to bus stop attacks

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
SORA pop up to bring a layer of class to Malmaison

SORA pop up to bring a layer of class to Malmaison

18 May 2026
Biscuit Barrel, Brighton Fringe, Komedia Studio, 10th & 17th May 2026

A Biscuit Barrel Full Of Energy

18 May 2026
credit - Claire Gaby

Tonight – Bert and Nasi

17 May 2026

MEAT – preview

17 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

by Mark Tiro
17 May 2026
0

Leeds United 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Dominic Calvert-Lewin struck a stoppage-time winner as Leeds dealt Brighton’s hopes of...

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

by Frank le Duc
17 May 2026
0

As Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United, Seagulls head coach Fabian Hürzeler has made one change to the side...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex chase impressive first innings total at Somerset

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
16 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 22-1 (5.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (4 points) by 504 runs Centuries...

Load More
September 2016
M T W T F S S
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
2627282930  
« Aug   Oct »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Man charged with murder 17 May 2026
  • Woman found dead and man held on suspicion of murder 15 May 2026
  • Smurf line drug dealer jailed 13 May 2026
  • Patti Smith: A legend returns to Brighton Dome 13 May 2026
  • Driver arrested after woman dies in crash today 12 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News