• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
21 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Accessible transport group adds its voice to Southern rail judicial review

by Frank le Duc
Monday 6 Mar, 2017 at 3:59AM
A A
0
Passenger survey paints shocking picture of experiences of train commuters

Commuters protest about the dire train service during the long-running industrial dispute

An accessible transport group has added its voice to the legal case being brought by commuters over the Department for Transport (DfT) handling of the Southern rail dispute.

Transport for All believes that it has evidence of the adverse effects of the long-running dispute on disabled and older passengers.

The campaign group has written to the court asking to be allowed to intervene in the judicial review being brought by the Association of British Commuters (ABC).

The group said: “Transport for All (TfA), with assistance from Fry Law, wrote to the Royal Courts of Justice to ask to intervene in Association of British Commuters (ABC) judicial review case on the Department for Transport’s handling of the Southern Rail crisis.

“Last month the ABC applied for a judicial review of the Secretary of State’s approach to the Southern Rail crisis. The case was crowdfunded with total donations reaching over £26,000.

“The case is being brought to address the lawfulness of the DfT’s approach to enforcing the Southern Rail management contract and the failure of Southern Rail to provide adequate access to disabled passengers.

“TfA will be asking to providing evidence on Southern rail’s failure to provide adequate assistance and the impact this has had on the disabled and older passengers.

“Accessible public transport is a life line to inclusion for many disabled people who disproportionally rely on it to go about their everyday lives.

Commuters protest about the dire train service during the long-running industrial dispute
Commuters protest about the dire train service during the long-running industrial dispute

“The Southern rail crisis caused disruption and misery to disabled and older people, leaving many unable to travel to work and increasingly isolated.

“Our accessible transport helpline receives dozens of calls from disabled and older people who find themselves unable to access the rail network because they simply can’t rely on assistance from staff.”

The group quoted wheelchair user Chris Stapleton as saying: “On roughly two thirds of my journeys, when I arrive at Victoria there is no one there to assist me with a ramp, even though the staff at my home station have phoned ahead to let Southern Rail staff at Victoria know. So I end up stuck on the train.

“The effect of Southern’s unreliable assistance is that every train journey becomes horribly stressful and every time I arrive at my destination I have a tight knot of anxiety in my stomach – will there be someone with a ramp to assist me?

“Will I be locked into the train again or have to get random strangers to go and hunt for staff or be forced to shout or press the emergency alarm?”

Transport for All said: “This case would be the first case test to the Secretary of State’s duty to uphold disability equality in the franchising process and could cause a seismic shift in the DfT’s approach to protecting the rights of disabled and older people.

“Transport for All hope that our experience in the wide range of obstacles disabled and older people can face when accessing the transport network and the impact of Southern rail’s failures on our ability to travel will assist the court when they consider the case.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Two Brighton and Hove homeless charities given government funding boost

Accessible transport group adds its voice to Southern rail judicial review

Voters to quiz by-election candidates at hustings

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Firefighters put out blaze on boat at Marina

Labour picks candidate for Queen’s Park by-election

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Load More
March 2017
M T W T F S S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031  
« Feb   Apr »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News