• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
21 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Subtitled Star Wars screening abandoned after hearing people complain

by Jo Wadsworth
Tuesday 19 Dec, 2017 at 12:38PM
A A
9
Subtitled Star Wars screening abandoned after hearing people complain

An advertised subtitled screening of Star Wars at the Brighton Odeon was abandoned after hearing people in the audience complained.

Louise Drake took her twin daughters Esmee and Eliza, 16, to the cinema on Sunday as a special treat, as the girls are deaf and it’s difficult to find subtitled screenings.

But to their dismay, the film started without subtitles. When they alerted staff, the film was stopped, and an usher explained it would restart with the subtitles, to loud complaints from some hearing members of the audience.

Then a few minutes later, staff announced that the non-subtitled version would instead be shown. Louise and her daughters plus another deaf man and his brother were offered refunds.

After the incident was publicised on the Limping Chicken blog yesterday, the cinema chain blamed a technical fault.

But many other deaf cinema goers said they had often gone to advertised subtitled showings at Odeon cinemas where non-subtitled versions were instead shown – and Eliza and Esmee themselves said this was not the first time this had happened to them.

Louise, who works as a signing support worker at Hamilton Lodge school for deaf children, said the whole experience had been humiliating, particularly the heckling by the rest of the audience when the film was stopped.

She said: “It’s so difficult, I have got two deaf teenagers who can’t follow and film without subtitles, and one of them is desperate to see Star Wars. Subtitled films are so few and far between.

“I’m not interested in compensation or free tickets. All I want is the cinema to do what they say they’re going to do.

“The people in the cinema that night were vile. A big crowd of hearing people have had a moan about not wanting to sit there with subtitle words on the screen.

“The girls stood and said to the rest of the audience you will get used to them in a while. It was humiliating.

“My daughters probably get one screening a month if they’re lucky. Hearing people can go to see hundreds of screenings a month without subtitles.

“If this was a technical fault, then they must have a lot of technical faults. From the comments on the Limping Chicken story it seems this happens a lot, and it depends on how strongly the deaf people complain as to whether they do put the subtitles on. It has happened to my daughter at other cinemas too.”

In the end Louise, Esmee and Eliza, who live in Westdene, went to see the film at Cineworld last night – after checking several times that the subtitles would be on.

A spokeswoman for Odeon said: “Unfortunately a technical fault prevented us showing Star Wars: The Last Jedi with subtitles on Sunday 17 December. Our team sincerely apologised to the guests affected, offering full refunds and passes to return on a date of their choice.

“We’ve now fixed the fault, and look forward to welcoming guests back through our doors soon.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 9

  1. Valerie Paynter says:
    9 years ago

    The Odeon should pay compensation for travel and wasted time. And a complaint should go to trading standards.

    Reply
  2. Colin Stubbings says:
    9 years ago

    The Odeon should have offered free tickets for another showing as well as as the refunds. The hearing members of the public should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves.

    Reply
    • Melanie Campbell says:
      9 years ago

      I agree with you! They have come out and paid for a movie they can’t enjoy. They should be compensated for their spoiled outing and have free tickets for a movie they CAN enjoy.

      Reply
    • Fishwife, 49 says:
      9 years ago

      Isn’t that what the spokeswoman meant when she said they’d been offered “full refunds AND passes to return on a date of their choice” (my emphasis)? Or have I misunderstood?

      Reply
  3. Paul Northam says:
    9 years ago

    Technical fault, what a load of rubbish. Those girls were simply fobbed off because the cinema staff bowed to the majority. If they didn’t want to show a captioned film, then don’t advertise it as such

    Reply
  4. John says:
    9 years ago

    Forgetting to turn on the subtitles has happened in the past. I don’t believe the machine broke if it has happened before, it is most probably an excuse to save embarrassment.

    Reply
  5. Margaret says:
    9 years ago

    Disability discrimination Act?

    Reply
  6. Laurie Mann says:
    9 years ago

    This makes no sense. Captions don’t interfere with anything and they’re helpful to the hearing impardf.

    Reply
  7. steve says:
    9 years ago

    This is totally wrong. ALL films in ALL cinemas should be subtitled ALL the time – this is the meaning of “reasonable adjustments”. it is a lot easier for ABCs to get used to a few lines on the bottom of the screen than for deaf people to not be able to go to the cinema when they want. I missed Blade Runner and Valerian this year because they were not subtitled.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Two Brighton and Hove homeless charities given government funding boost

Subtitled Star Wars screening abandoned after hearing people complain

Voters to quiz by-election candidates at hustings

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Firefighters put out blaze on boat at Marina

Father who died off Shoreham beach was Palestinian refugee

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Load More
December 2017
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
« Nov   Jan »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News