• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
17 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Palace Pier bosses blame poor train service for fall in profits

by Frank le Duc
Thursday 10 Jan, 2019 at 8:14AM
A A
3
International travel trade spends two days and a million pounds in Brighton

The owner of the Palace Pier has blamed the poor train service from London to Brighton for a drop in profits in the current financial year.

The Brighton Pier Group, which owns leisure attractions around the country, said that it expected an 18 per cent shortfall in forecast profits in the 12 months to the end of June.

This could equal up to half a million pounds, given that the company made a pre-tax profit of £2.3 million last year on revenues of £31.7 million. This was up from £1.9 million profit a year earlier on revenues of £31.3 million.

The value of the company dropped by almost half, with the share price plummeting to 35p when the stock market opened. The shares closed yesterday at 63p, the lowest for a year. A year ago each share was worth more than £1.

The company, run by entrepreneur Luke Johnson, shared the news in a formal announcement to the London Stock Exchange this morning (Thursday 10 January).

It said: “As previously reported, the trading performance of the company’s pier division during the period has been negatively impacted by disappointing weather over the August bank holiday weekend that continued into the following month.

“Additionally, weekend railway services to and from Brighton have been disrupted by a major programme of engineering works, resulting in recurrent line closures (with replacement bus services) on the main line from London between the stations at Three Bridges and Brighton.

“This has significantly impacted the number of visitors into Brighton and on to the pier. As such, earnings from the pier have also been lower than expected for the period.

“The company has been informed that these line closures will continue into the second half of the current financial year, including a complete closure over the nine days of February half term and further closures in March, April and May (the start of the pier’s peak trading period).

“However, once the railway upgrades have been completed, the company expects that the improved railway service with fewer interruptions will benefit businesses across Brighton and the trading performance of the pier.”

Mr Johnson has made headlines recently but after the discovery of a financial black hole at one of his other companies, Patisserie Valerie, which has branches in Brighton and Hove.

Brighton Pier Group chief executive Anne Ackord said: “While I am disappointed at the rail network disruptions currently affecting the pier, once they are complete, this will be of great benefit to future visitors travelling to the city and consequently to our Brighton businesses.

“Despite these challenges the company’s pier, bars and golf businesses remain well invested, strongly cash generative and well positioned for future growth.”

The Brighton Pier Group issued its profit warning in a trading update for the six months to the end of December.

It also said: “The board now anticipates that, as a result of the reasons outlined above, profit before tax for the current financial year will be in the region of 18 per cent lower than current consensus expectations.”

 

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 3

  1. Rupert says:
    8 years ago

    The problem is most people in Brighton and Hove are rich and successful but don’t fancy the pier as day out. The people that visit from the not as nice areas outside are poorer and don’t have the money. I would knock all the tat down and build some trendy flats on the pier – would be great and would mean less chavs from burgess hill, portslade, Croydon etc

    Reply
  2. Sally ‘Energy and Unity’ Jackson says:
    8 years ago

    Stop Brexit. Welcome tourists. Share wealth equally. Benefits for all. Love nature. More mindfulness. less work. More vibes. Then all will be fine. X

    Reply
  3. Glenice says:
    8 years ago

    Don’t always blame the train’s it’s the roads as well you can be in a traffic jam on the A23 for hours and the Lewes road. And the parking in Brighton is so expensive. It not all rich people that live there. We sold our much loved home in Brighton because all around us was being sold for students to live in. Land lord’s did not help in any way garden over grown rats. Brighton was a fantastic place to grow up in the community has gone now

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

Palace Pier bosses blame poor train service for fall in profits

Brighton man wins £78k EuroMillions prize

Farewell and RIP, Pirate Charles! Tributes paid to Brighton legend

Another Labour councillor quits party to sit as Independent

Greens pick community campaigner to stand in latest Queen’s Park by-election

Ghibli comes to Brighton

Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn

Three sentenced over Brighton firearms offences

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury Flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ celebrates 30th anniversary as punk rock turns 50 – Day Two Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ celebrates 30th anniversary as punk rock turns 50 – Day Two Report

14 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex finish bottom in One Day Cup group after defeat by Middlesex

by Ben Kosky - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
11 August 2026
0

Middlesex 354-8 (50 overs) Sussex Sharks 262 (43.5 overs) Middlesex (4 points) beat Sussex Sharks (0 points) by 92 runs...

Load More
January 2019
M T W T F S S
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28293031  
« Dec   Feb »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
  • Derailed train passenger tells of ‘most frightening experience of my life’ 14 August 2026
  • Line to stay closed as investigators look into why train derailed 14 August 2026
  • Police declare major incident as two people badly hurt when train derails 13 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News