• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
22 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Business

Controversial Hove café owner granted drinks licence for new restaurant

by Frank le Duc
Wednesday 1 May, 2019 at 5:30PM
A A
0
Controversial Hove café owner granted drinks licence for new restaurant

A controversial café owner in Hove has been given an alcohol licence for his new outlet.

Persia, in Church Road, Hove, was granted a licence despite a raft of complaints and concerns from neighbours.

At a Brighton and Hove City Council licensing panel hearing, Central Hove councillor Andrew Wealls described owner Ebad Abdolkhani as an “inappropriate person” to hold a licence.

Mr Abdolkhani was previously barred from having any involvement with his family’s neighbouring business Barcode.

In its response, the licensing panel – made up of three councillors – said that it had sympathy with neighbours’ concerns and had taken them into consideration.

The response said: “It is clear that in the past in relation to Barcode there was disregard for the relevant legislation and in particular the licensing objective of the prevention of public nuisance.

“However, the panel must look at this new application on its own merits and in the context of its likely impact upon the licensing objectives.”

Mr Abdolkhani’s solicitor John Milton had urged the panel to treat the application independently, describing the accusations about Mr Abdolkhani as a “witch hunt”.

His client had held a personal licence for more than a year, the panel was told, and this was a factor in its decision.

Sussex Police agreed a series of conditions including a requirement for  customers to be seated and for there to be substantial food available at all times.

The premises does not have planning permission to operate as a restaurant after it was refused in July 2018. An appeal was rejected in April.

The plans were turned down because the premises were previously used as a shop and changing to a restaurant would go against council policy due to the impact on the shopping street.

Planned changes to the access to the maisonette above, including removal of the recessed doorways, were also turned down.

Planning inspector Stephen Papworth upheld the council’s decision and said that harm would be caused to the character and appearance of the area which is a conservation area.

Councillor Wealls had raised the issue with the council planning department’s enforcement team.

Mr Abdolkhani was contacted for comment.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Brighton

New bus route to start next month

School plans 10ft fence around playing field

Father pays tribute to daughters who drowned off Brighton beach

Smoke control area to cover almost all of Brighton and Hove

Controversial Hove café owner granted drinks licence for new restaurant

Odeon developer asks permission for 12-month ad shroud

Councillors vote to close oldest school in Brighton

New mayor takes over in Brighton and Hove

Tenant faces arson charge after fire damages council flat

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
The Great Escape Festival & beyond (Part 6: 25 reviews)

The Great Escape Festival & beyond (Part 6: 25 reviews)

22 May 2026
The Great Escape Festival & beyond (Part 5: 25 reviews)

The Great Escape Festival & beyond (Part 5: 25 reviews)

22 May 2026
SORA pop up to bring a layer of class to Malmaison

SORA arrives at Malmaison Brighton Marina

22 May 2026
Phone-free restaurant gets permanent home

Phone-free restaurant gets permanent home

22 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain gods smile as Sussex draw with Somerset at Taunton

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
18 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 253 (71.1 overs) and 113-7 (57.4 overs) Somerset (15 points) drew with Sussex (10...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

by Mark Tiro
17 May 2026
0

Leeds United 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Dominic Calvert-Lewin struck a stoppage-time winner as Leeds dealt Brighton’s hopes of...

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

by Frank le Duc
17 May 2026
0

As Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United, Seagulls head coach Fabian Hürzeler has made one change to the side...

Load More
May 2019
M T W T F S S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031  
« Apr   Jun »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Detective arrested on suspicion of drink driving 21 May 2026
  • First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Sussex 20 May 2026
  • Man jailed for burglary, theft and fraud 20 May 2026
  • Three months of work to start at railway station 20 May 2026
  • Sussex Police detective inspector denies child sex offences and perverting justice 19 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News