• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
22 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Brighton and Hove doctors extend £1.2m ‘Practice Assist’ phone support contract

by Frank le Duc
Sunday 14 Jul, 2019 at 7:08AM
A A
0
Brighton and Hove health chiefs given ‘inadequate’ grading by NHS

A telephone service to help doctors’ surgeries struggling to cope with their patient workload is being extended.

Health chiefs in Brighton and Hove have agreed to continue using “Practice Assist” for a third year, bringing the contract cost up to £1.2 million.

The telephone appointment system, which helps surgeries to cope with patient demand, was described as a temporary solution.

At the moment six family doctors’ surgeries in Brighton and Hove use the service as they balance patient numbers and general practitioners (GPs).

The Brighton and Hove Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) Primary Care Commissioning Committee was told that there was a shortage of GPs willing to become partners in doctors’ surgeries.

The trend has been towards working as a salaried GP or locum instead.

Since 2017 the CCG has spent £900,000 on Practice Assist, including £450,000 in the past financial year.

This year’s budget is £300,000 after Wish Park Surgery, in Hove, said that it would stop using the service as it now offers its own telephone appointments.

Half the cost of the service, which is provided by Care UK, is paid for by the six surgeries using it, with the rest coming from the CCG.

The renewed contract is for 12 months although it can be ended at two months’ notice if it is no longer needed.

The Primary Care Commissioning Committee was told that the £150,000 saving compared with last year would go towards “primary care resilience” to help surgeries struggling in difficult conditions.

Park Crescent Health Centre and St Peter’s Medical Centre are spending the most on Practice Assist for the next six months.

St Peter’s merged with the North Laine Medical Centre last year, with both now based in Oxford Street, Brighton.

A planning application for a new surgery building was submitted to Brighton and Hove City Council in April.

The proposed new GP surgery building in Oxford Street in Brighton

Currently GPs are working where they can in the existing building, with administrative staff working at Citibase in Ditchling Road.

Healthwatch director Bob Deschene asked whether the support given to St Peter’s and Park Crescent was sustainable.

Jimmy Burke, the CCG’s senior manager for primary care commissioning, said that the merger of two practices at St Peter’s would eventually resolve itself with the combined practice becoming stronger.

He confirmed that there was a risk of over-reliance on Practice Assist at Park Crescent but said that it was “on the radar” of the CCG’s resilience group.

Mr Burke said: “The CCG is much more reassured than in the past. They were very unlucky to lose a succession of partners in the last 18 months.

“They have completely restructured their team and created a new practice vision. They’re doing very innovative work down there.

“There is no denying they could do with some extra partners and they are continuing to look.”

Ardingly Court Surgery

The CCG’s director of primary and community care, Sally Smith, said that workforce shortages meant that practices were using other staff to care for patients such as paramedics, advanced nurse practitioners and clinical pharmacists.

St Peter’s has a budget of £45,700, split with the CCG, to cover the cost of 3,325 phone appointments from Monday 1 April until Monday 30 September this year.

For the same period Park Cresent has budgeted for 2,800 phone appointments at a total cost of £38,500.

Just over 10,000 phone appointments are budgeted for until the end of September, with the rest shared between Saltdean and Rottingdean, Wellsbourne, Ardingly Court and Albion Street surgeries.

Despite the extra help needed to meet demand at Ardingly Court, the CCG pulled the plug on a move for the practice from its outdated surgery late last year, saying that there was no longer enough demand on its doctors.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Brighton

New bus route to start next month

School plans 10ft fence around playing field

Father pays tribute to daughters who drowned off Brighton beach

Smoke control area to cover almost all of Brighton and Hove

Brighton and Hove doctors extend £1.2m ‘Practice Assist’ phone support contract

Odeon developer asks permission for 12-month ad shroud

Councillors vote to close oldest school in Brighton

Tenant faces arson charge after fire damages council flat

New mayor takes over in Brighton and Hove

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
The Great Escape Festival & beyond (Part 5: 25 reviews)

The Great Escape Festival & beyond (Part 5: 25 reviews)

22 May 2026
SORA pop up to bring a layer of class to Malmaison

SORA arrives at Malmaison Brighton Marina

22 May 2026
Phone-free restaurant gets permanent home

Phone-free restaurant gets permanent home

22 May 2026
The Great Escape Festival & beyond (Part 4: 25 reviews)

The Great Escape Festival & beyond (Part 4: 25 reviews)

22 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain gods smile as Sussex draw with Somerset at Taunton

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
18 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 253 (71.1 overs) and 113-7 (57.4 overs) Somerset (15 points) drew with Sussex (10...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

by Mark Tiro
17 May 2026
0

Leeds United 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Dominic Calvert-Lewin struck a stoppage-time winner as Leeds dealt Brighton’s hopes of...

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

by Frank le Duc
17 May 2026
0

As Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United, Seagulls head coach Fabian Hürzeler has made one change to the side...

Load More
July 2019
M T W T F S S
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031  
« Jun   Aug »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Detective arrested on suspicion of drink driving 21 May 2026
  • First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Sussex 20 May 2026
  • Man jailed for burglary, theft and fraud 20 May 2026
  • Three months of work to start at railway station 20 May 2026
  • Sussex Police detective inspector denies child sex offences and perverting justice 19 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News