• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
19 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Council buys new bin lorries as sabotage investigation starts

by Sarah Booker-Lewis - local democracy reporter
Tuesday 12 Mar, 2024 at 9:54PM
A A
11
Bin lorry drivers vote to accept council offer and suspend strike

Rubbish being cleared in Clarendon Villas in Hove after the strike in 2021

The council has bought four more new bin lorries as an investigation starts into suspected sabotage at the Cityclean rubbish and recycling depot in Hollingdean.

A senior councillor announced the purchase of the lorries, which will be used to empty communal bins, as council leader Bella Sankey spoke out about the sabotage.

Brighton and Hove City Council issued a statement saying: “CCTV cameras at the council’s Hollingdean depot are being analysed after the wires on two lorries were purposely cut to ensure the vehicles couldn’t operate and therefore couldn’t go out on collection rounds.”

Councillor Sankey said: “The cutting of lorry wires is unlawful and scandalous and is extremely dangerous to our staff. It’s also criminal activity which has been reported and is being investigated by Sussex Police.”

She said that a small minority were disrupting the rubbish and recycling service and added: “We will not be held to ransom by these people.”

Labour councillor Tim Rowkins said: “First, I want to acknowledge the significant drop in the reliability of our refuse and recycling collections in recent weeks.

“After a few months of much-improved service to our residents, it’s obviously very disappointing to see it disrupted in this way.”

Councillor Rowkins said that communal bin collections were missed on several occasions over the past few weeks.

He said: “I was personally out with one of the rounds last week, helping to clear the backlog in the city centre.

“Our communal vehicles are some of the oldest in the fleet and I’m pleased to say that we will be taking delivery of four new communal vehicles over the next few weeks.

“As well as being zero-emission EVs (electric vehicles), these new vehicles will bring significant reliability improvements to the service.

“The existing vehicles will be kept on standby for an extended period of time in order to ensure that we have a safety net in case of any teething difficulties with the new ones.

“Lasting improvements to this service remain a central focus of this administration and we will continue to give it the attention that it deserves.”

Councillor Rowkins was speaking at a meeting of the council’s City Environment, South Downs and the Sea Committee at Hove Town Hall this afternoon (Tuesday 12 March).

He chairs the committee which received a report about the items that the government expects councils to collect for recycling by the end of March 2026.

The council already collects a number of the materials such as glass jars and bottles and steel and aluminium tins and cans.

But it will also be expected to collect cartons, pots, tubs and trays, aluminium foil and trays and plastic film packaging. More details about how the change are managed will be given in future reports.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 11

  1. Susie says:
    2 years ago

    These doing the alleged sabotage on rubbish track collection aren’t doing this against the council but against every single citizen of this city. They must face the criminal justice system for damage to public services, if found guilty.

    Reply
  2. Barry Johnson says:
    2 years ago

    Sabotage is a Police matter. Where is the CCTV footage? Arrests please. Previously we were told it took 18 months plus to procure an EV bin lorry from the time of committee approval. How come BHCC can now get hold of EV bin lorries within weeks now? And will they now be able to collect from parks, unmade roads and golf courses?The previous EV bin lorry experiment was a failure and Hollingdean depot still lacks a charging station infrastructure to service them, which will cost many hundreds of thousands to install.

    Reply
  3. Michael barry says:
    2 years ago

    WAITING FOR THE ENDANGERED 50 BUS AT ROEDALE RD THIS MORNING THE DUSTCART BLOCKED THE BUS FOR 20 MINUTES , MAKING IT LATER THAN IT USUALLY IS , INSTEAD OF JUST SITTING THERE HE COULD HAVE MOVED TO LET THE BUS BY THEN I GOT A LOAD OF VERBAL FROM THE BINMAN ON THE GROUND I DON’T WORK MYSELF , BUT IF I DID I WOULD RESENT MY TAXES PAYING THESE MORONS THANK YOU

    Reply
    • Benjamin says:
      2 years ago

      SORRY YOU WERE INCONVIENCED FROM YOUR NONESSENTIAL TRAVEL FOR 20 MINUTES.

      Reply
  4. Chris says:
    2 years ago

    Has anyone contacted the GMB for comment ?

    Reply
  5. Simon says:
    2 years ago

    GMB Mafia at it again?

    Reply
  6. fed-up-with-brighton-politics says:
    2 years ago

    The GMB doesn’t comment though, does it, which speaks volumes for how they operate. All we get are apparent threats from Turner (and presumably he still has cronies at the depot) and semi-threatening parrot-speak from this new person, Lib. But no comments – not even denials – just threats, whether veiled or explicit., and no cogent explanation of what the latest gripe is, even if they know.

    I think I read somewhere that the council was hiring some new drivers. There seems to be little point because, although we are told it is a small minority causing the issues, we still have something like 90% or more of the GMB workforce going along with this latest strike idea, most of whom, according to the council, are doing a good job, so something’s very wrong somewhere. Someone has already said that, as soon as a new employee arrives at the depot, they are approached and ‘inducted’ into the GMB, so the thing self-perpetutates.

    Reply
    • Mr Paul White says:
      2 years ago

      You couldn’t make this rubbish up the council is run by people who have not got a clue they make it up as they go along

      Reply
  7. Dr Brighton says:
    2 years ago

    Nice new trucks for the idiots to vandalise

    Reply
  8. fed-up-with-brighton-politics says:
    2 years ago

    Possible news flash, folks, Ms Sankey doesn’t now have membership of the GMB in her register of interests on the council website and nor does Cllr Rowkins. It would be good to know whether or not Ms Sankey is actually in the GMB or not, because it does have a massive bearing on all this. Perhaps she and Mr Rowkins might like to confirm one way or the other., although I have no reason to suspect the latter ever was a member, but Ms Sankey was and ‘proud of it’.

    Having said all that, I don’t actually care about the political hue of the people dealing with this and I don’t think most of us do. It isn’t about politics, but logistics. Surely, the very vast majority of people in this city have a mutual interest in getting this situation sorted as soon as possible (like very quickly), regardless of whether the council is red, green or purple with yellow spots on.

    Reply
  9. John Coleman says:
    2 years ago

    Politics should not be considered in such a public service such as bin emptying. If the job is not efficiently carried out regularly then we all suffer, e.g., proliferation of gulls and rats taking advantage of muck laying around, scattering it and making matters worse. Just deal with it and leave politics for the voting. Waste clearance needs regular attention to prevent the spread of disease. Council political leadership is irrelevant in this matter.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Huge response after four get in trouble in sea by Shoreham

Couple and teen daughter die after getting into trouble in the sea

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Council buys new bin lorries as sabotage investigation starts

Brighton Wheel could be back by next summer

Free family art space opens in North Laine

Brighton campaigner on trial over Hamas ‘support’ posts

Ward councillors weigh in on row over communal bins

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Load More
March 2024
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
« Feb   Apr »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News