• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
22 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Councillors criticise pointless objections to amended basement plan

by Sarah Booker-Lewis - local democracy reporter
Thursday 4 Sep, 2025 at 10:59PM
A A
0
Councillors criticise pointless objections to amended basement plan

Councillors expressed their annoyance after neighbours objected to relatively minor changes to a planning application that had already been approved.

Plans to sub-divide the plot at 7 Saxon Close, Rottingdean, to build an additional three-bedroom house next to the existing detached home were approved by Brighton and Hove City Council’s Planning Committee in September 2023.

The property owner, My Sales Limited, applied to amend the approved application – to excavate a patio at the front of the new house.

The company also sought permission to enlarge the patio at the back – at basement level – and the proposals went before the Planning Committee yesterday (Wednesday 3 September) after five neighbours objected.

The objections focused on the original approved design, raising concerns about increased traffic, overdevelopment, loss of views and privacy.

Labour councillor Julie Cattell said that the application was approved in principle and the changes made the outdoors more accessible.

Councillor Cattell said: “I can’t see any reason why we should be recommending refusal for this.

“I see that most of the representations are a second bite at the cherry for people who weren’t happy with the first application so I’m happy to support the recommendation.”

Fellow Labour councillor Joy Robinson shared her frustration that the application come before councillors as the objectors opposed the first application.

Councillor Robinson said: “It’s kind of a shame that we have to keep bringing these applications to committee. We’re wasting all our time and money on something that we can’t consider.

“It’s come to committee because of those objections which are not relevant to this application.”

Brighton and Hove Independent councillor Mark Earthey voted against the application when it went before the committee two years ago, raising concerns about density.

But Councillor Earthey, who represents Rottingdean and West Saltdean, said: “There’s no material change on this application which we’ve already agreed. I agree, it’s a shame it’s got this far.”

Conservative councillor Carol Theobald asked for clarification on neighbours’ opposition to changes to the street’s “turning head” and a heat pump.

She was assured the current application made no changes to the street and the heat pump was a “permitted development”.

Councillor Theobald said: “I don’t think I voted for this when the application came up but, now it has full planning permission, these amendments do not look too bad to me. It’ll probably be an advantage.

“It looks like minor changes so I’ll be voting for this.”

When the original application went before the committee in 2023, neighbours raised concerns about housing density and the impact on the nearby Saxon burial ground.

Brighton and Hove Independent councillor Bridget Fishleigh, who also represents Rottingdean and West Saltdean, also spoke against the plans. She called them an overdevelopment that would adversely affect the community.

The original application was passed by six votes to two. The amendments were passed unanimously.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Brighton

New bus route to start next month

School plans 10ft fence around playing field

Father pays tribute to daughters who drowned off Brighton beach

Smoke control area to cover almost all of Brighton and Hove

Tenant faces arson charge after fire damages council flat

Odeon developer asks permission for 12-month ad shroud

Councillors criticise pointless objections to amended basement plan

Councillors vote to close oldest school in Brighton

New mayor takes over in Brighton and Hove

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
The Great Escape Festival & beyond (Part 3: 20 reviews)

The Great Escape Festival & beyond (Part 3: 20 reviews)

22 May 2026
Penelope Isles announce concert dates including 2 Brighton gigs

Penelope Isles announce concert dates including 2 Brighton gigs

22 May 2026
Sound Of Wunderlich, Brighton Fringe, 21st May 2026

The Mayhem of The Sound Of Wunderlich

22 May 2026
Emma Rice brings Malory Towers to Brighton Festival with music, mischief and midnight feasts

Midnight feasts, mischief and mayhem: Emma Rice’s Malory Towers delights at Brighton Festival

21 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain gods smile as Sussex draw with Somerset at Taunton

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
18 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 253 (71.1 overs) and 113-7 (57.4 overs) Somerset (15 points) drew with Sussex (10...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

by Mark Tiro
17 May 2026
0

Leeds United 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Dominic Calvert-Lewin struck a stoppage-time winner as Leeds dealt Brighton’s hopes of...

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

by Frank le Duc
17 May 2026
0

As Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United, Seagulls head coach Fabian Hürzeler has made one change to the side...

Load More
September 2025
M T W T F S S
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
2930  
« Aug   Oct »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Detective arrested on suspicion of drink driving 21 May 2026
  • First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Sussex 20 May 2026
  • Man jailed for burglary, theft and fraud 20 May 2026
  • Three months of work to start at railway station 20 May 2026
  • Sussex Police detective inspector denies child sex offences and perverting justice 19 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News