• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
24 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Hove school defends academy consultation as councillor urges rethink

by Frank le Duc
Monday 27 Feb, 2023 at 6:02PM
A A
3
Hove school to shrink in size from next year

West Blatchington Primary School

Governors of a Hove school, with plans to turn it into an academy, have defended their consultation after criticisms made by a councillor.

The criticisms followed a meeting last week between councillors and governors from West Blatchington Primary School, with the consultation due to end tomorrow (Tuesday 28 February).

The school is expected to become part of the Pioneer Academy Multi-Academy Trust which runs 15 schools including Moulsecoomb Primary School, in Brighton.

After the meeting last week, the deputy leader of Brighton and Hove City Council, Hannah Allbrooke, wrote to the governors urging them to think again.

The letter that was sent by Councillor Allbrooke, who chairs the council’s Children, Young People and Skills Committee, has been seen by Brighton and Hove News.

It said: “We are disappointed that you are pursuing this course of action and we urge you to reconsider.

“In our meeting, we discussed our concerns regarding your consultation, and we asked you to consider extending the consultation.

“We believe that the consultation has been rushed and are concerned that part of the consultation fell over half term, meaning parents and the community were further restricted in their ability to take part.

“We also remain concerned that you have held no public meeting to discuss the plans … We once again urge you to extend the consultation and hold a public meeting regarding your plans.

“We also feel that little consideration has been given to other options.

“In our meeting, you sought to blame the local authority for this, citing that the local authority’s opposition to academisation was the reason you had not had a full and constructive discussion with us ahead of pursuing academisation.

“We do not feel this is a good reason not to engage with us, the local authority.

“Officers have made multiple attempts to discuss federation and other options with you. We understand that the governors have not engaged with these offers from our expert officer team.

“In our meeting you highlighted the minimal exploration you had made regarding federation.

“We believe the steps you have taken to consider this are lacking in depth and are not a sign that the due diligence you are required to undertake has been completed.

“This all combined therefore leads us to the conclusion that governors have acted to rush through a major decision on academisation with as little scrutiny as possible.”

In addition, Mark Turner, from the GMB, said: “From the GMB’s point of view, it’s a sham consultation. They have been considering this for over a year.”

The governors said: “Our consultation is entirely in line with the legislation in the Academies Act 2010.

“This requires a school to consult ‘such persons as they think appropriate’ on whether the school should be converted into an academy.

“The statutory requirement does not prescribe who should be consulted nor the length of the consultation required.

West Blatchington Primary School

“In their letter, the council are critical of the length of our consultation. We would note that recent consultations carried out by the council (community safety strategy and admissions arrangements) had a duration of five weeks (and) both of these ran over a two-week holiday period.

“It is therefore a little puzzling as to why the council are so critical of the length of our consultation. Our consultation periods are broadly comparable.

“Our consultation is due to close this week and has seen us engage with a wide range of stakeholders including parents, staff, unions and the local authority, offering face to face meetings and answering all questions relating to the consultation and the wider conversion process.

“The requirements for consultation have therefore been met.

“After consideration of all consultation responses, we will be publishing a report detailing the responses and our conclusions.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 3

  1. Nathan Adler says:
    3 years ago

    A Green councilor moaning about lack of consultation? This is the same Green Party that has yet to show residents the revised’ LTN plan for Hanover and have no intention of doing so until a week before the meeting of ETS! Thus blunting any opposition. The main criticism I have of this administration is that they DO NOT listen. They have no right to criticise that governing body.

    Reply
    • Frank Mills says:
      3 years ago

      I agree! I don’t trust a word these councillors say! They are just after personal gain and power.

      Let the school do want it wants to do! They know best!

      Reply
    • Benjamin says:
      3 years ago

      A tu quoque makes for an extremely weak argument, Nathan.

      Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Pub tile developer asks court to make council pay his costs

Former Brighton teacher awaits sentence for ‘sexting’ boy of 13

Palm house turned into butterfly garden

Hove school defends academy consultation as councillor urges rethink

Phone-free restaurant finds permanent home

New bus route to start next month

Opposition overlooked and left in the dark, says councillor

New mayor takes over in Brighton and Hove

Hospital marks £860m project’s helipad and cancer milestones

Missing boy found safe

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Max Cooper announces two 3D/AV shows

Max Cooper announces two 3D/AV shows

24 May 2026
Here’s a night out not to be missed!

Here’s a night out not to be missed!

24 May 2026
Irvine Welsh, Men In Love, Charleston Festival, 23rd May 2026

Irvine Welsh charms the Charleston Festival

24 May 2026
Oh To Believe in Another World: Shostakovich Symphony No.10

Oh To Believe In Another World

23 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion reach Europe despite losing to Man Utd

Brighton and Hove Albion reach Europe despite losing to Man Utd

by Ed Elliot - PA
24 May 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Manchester United 3 The Seagulls have qualified for European football for only the second time...

All to play for as Brighton and Hove Albion host Manchester United

All to play for as Brighton and Hove Albion host Manchester United

by Frank le Duc
24 May 2026
0

Fabian Hürzeler has made three changes from last week as Brighton and Hove Albion host Manchester United in the final...

Welbeck double sinks Liverpool at Brighton and Hove Albion

Welbeck deserves a World Cup place, says Brighton and Hove Albion boss

by PA sport staff
23 May 2026
0

Danny Welbeck deserves a place in the England World Cup squad, according to Brighton and Hove Albion head coach Fabian...

Sussex Sharks open T20 Blast with a win

Sussex off to a winning start in the Blast

by Martin Smith - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
22 May 2026
0

Essex 191-5 (20 overs) Sussex Sharks 192-4 (16 overs) Sussex Sharks win by 6 wickets John Simpson hurried Sussex Sharks...

Load More
February 2023
M T W T F S S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728  
« Jan   Mar »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Woman dies as car and motorbikes crash 24 May 2026
  • Former assistant head awaits sentence for ‘sexting’ boy of 13 23 May 2026
  • Biggest hospital in Sussex marks two key milestones 22 May 2026
  • Detective arrested on suspicion of drink driving 21 May 2026
  • First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Sussex 20 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News