Fireman gives valentines warning to Brighton and Hove couples

Posted On 09 Feb 2011 at 2:20 pm

Romantic couples in Brighton and Hove are being warned not to get carried away in the heat of the moment by firefighters.

With Valentine’s Day approaching, East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service said: “Tea-lights and alcohol can be a recipe for disaster if they’re not used in the correct way.

“And leaning in for a kiss over a candlelit dinner could result in setting fire to hair or clothes.”

Stephen Wright, a community safety officer with the fire service, said: “It’s very easy to become distracted while cooking, especially after having enjoyed a few glasses of champagne.

“Concentrate on the job in hand and relax with a glass of bubbly once the meal has been prepared.

“It may also seem very romantic scattering dried rose petals among tea-lights around a bath but this can make for a highly flammable combination.

“Many people think that, because tea-lights come in a flat metal holder, it’s safe to place them directly on to any surface without a candle-holder or a heat-resistant saucer.

“However, if placed on plastic, they can potentially start a fire by melting the surface of the bath or TV.”

Leave a Reply

*

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.