Fire crews tackle blazing oven in Hanover

Posted On 12 Mar 2012 at 9:01 pm

Firefighters were called to a property in the Hanover area of Brighton after an oven caught fire yesterday afternoon (Sunday 11 March).

Two crews used carbon dioxide to deal with the blaze at the property in Holland Street shortly after 5.20pm.

They brought in a positive pressure ventilation fan to clear smoke from the building after the fire was put out.

East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service said that a home safety visit was carried out after the incident.

The fire service said: “More than half of accidental fires at home are started by cooking.

“Many kitchen fires happen when people are not paying attention or they leave things unattended.”

Fire prevention tips in the kitchen included, it said, turning saucepans so that the handles did not stick out over the edge of the hob or over another ring.

It also urged people to double check that the cooker was switched off when cooking was finished and to make sure that tea towels were not left hanging over the cooker.

Oven gloves should not be put on top of a hot cooker. And ovens, hobs and grills should be kept clean to prevent a build-up of fats and food which could start a fire.

Leave a Reply

*

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.