Fire starts in bedroom at Hove nursing home

Posted On 23 Jan 2014 at 8:26 am

A fire started in the bedroom of a Hove nursing home in the early hours of this morning (Thursday 23 January).

East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service said that the blaze was reported just after 4.40am.

It started in a bin in a resident’s room at the Asher Nursing Home in Wilbury Gardens, near Hove Rec, and was believed to have been caused by cigarette ash setting paper alight.

The home, owned by the small Hove care home chain Parkview Homes, caters for up to 17 adults who have mental health support needs and require nursing or personal care.

A senior Parkview manager said: “It was a small bin fire. The staff were on to it very quickly and dealt with it. We have hourly checks and the bins are emptied regularly.

“One of the staff smelt smoke and put it out very quickly with a fire extinguisher.”

She said that all staff were expected to be vigilant and that this was part of their role but would also be commended for their action.

The residents did not even need to be evacuated.

The official regulator, the Care Quality Commission, recently said: “We have received information that has led us to carry out an inspection of Asher Nursing Home.

“We will publish a report when our check is complete.”

Leave a Reply

*

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.