• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
20 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Abusive parents prompt withdrawal of Brighton church school’s lollipop man

by Frank le Duc
Sunday 5 Jul, 2015 at 6:43PM
A A
2
Abusive parents prompt withdrawal of Brighton church school’s lollipop man

Abusive parents have been blamed for the withdrawal of a lollipop man from a church primary school in Brighton.

They became abusive most recently when their number plates were noted down because their cars were parked on the “School Keep Clear” markings outside St Martin’s Church of England Primary School.

This obstructed views for the lollipop man, making it unsafe for him and for children and those accompanying them, according to a letter from Brighton and Hove City Council.

The incidents come after one mother asked an elderly resident of a neighbouring sheltered housing block, Old Viaduct Court, if she wanted a fight in a row over parking.

St Martin's School letter address block and title
The letter from the council to St Martin’s CofE Primary School head Joanne Smith about bad parking and abusive drivers

Some parents park without permission in the Old Viaduct Court car park, opposite the school, in Hartington Road, and have been abusive and threatening when challenged by staff or residents.

St Martin’s head teacher Joanne Smith has previously written to parents about their behaviour.

After the latest incident, the school newsletter to parents said: “We are disappointed to advise that our school crossing patrol officer has been withdrawn for the immediate future.

“We have attached a copy of the letter received last week from the LA (local authority or council) but sadly this latest incident of abuse has given them the justification to remove the service as of now.

“The road safety manager was on site this morning and again noted the following vehicles parked without due regard to the safety of children and other road users.”

The letter listed seven number plates.

The newsletter said: “The loss of this valuable service is sadly the result of the actions of the few.”

St Martin's School welcome signThe letter to Mrs Smith came from Emily Tester, in the council’s Road Safety Team, on Tuesday 16 June.

The letter said: “Following a number of recent inspections to St Martin’s Primary School to observe the operation of the existing school crossing patrol (SCP), it has been noted that very few pupils and parents/guardians used the SCP facility to cross Hartington Road.

“In addition, several parents were regularly observed to park on the School Keep Clear road markings, some for up to 20 minutes.

“I am therefore writing to advise you that, as a result, retention of the School Crossing Patrol site in Hartington Road is under consideration for relocation.

“As you will be aware, the factors supporting the provision of a SCP include sufficient demand by pedestrians on foot for a surface crossing point.

“Other sites in the city meet this requirement and we are therefore compelled to review provision frequently.

Old Viaduct Court in Hartington Road, Brighton, withthe School Keep Clear and zigzag markings opposite
Old Viaduct Court in Hartington Road, Brighton, with the School Keep Clear markings, zigzags and double yellow lines opposite

“In addition, one of the key factors that require being satisfied is the health and safety of the officer appointed to provide the service.

“The inspections at Hartington Road indicate that insufficient demand exists for a SCP facility.

“Furthermore, there is evidence of a clear disregard by parents of the road safety objectives of School Keep Clear markings and the impact that violation of these has on the safe operation of the SCP.

“When approached by officers recording usage, some parents were abusive and as a result the vehicle licence numbers below were recorded.

“I am sure you will agree that removal and relocation of the SCP facility will cause significant concern to some parents who regard the service as beneficial.

“The school has a key role to play in ensuring that the road safety and operational benefits to parents are clear and I am therefore asking you to write to parents reinforcing these points.

“The SCP is present to assist crossing movement and if parents do not require this service we will relocate it.

“In addition, School Keep Clear markings serve to create a safe visibility splay for the patrol officer to determine a safe and convenient time to cross child pedestrians.

“Any obstruction of this splay by parked vehicles constitutes a hazardous work environment which means that the patrol should not operate.

“The road safety manager has recently authorised improved traffic signs and flashing warning lamps for the site and this is a good opportunity to make parents aware of their need to improve parking behaviour.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 2

  1. David Frost says:
    11 years ago

    It boggles the mind that parents around the world display similar behaviour. This despite the fact that it is their own and the safety of their children that is at stake. In South Africa similar problems are evident. This despite enforcement and education around the matter.

    Reply
  2. feline1 says:
    11 years ago

    Are the council nuts? Why don’t they enforce the parking lines? They waste our council tax painting the damn things but then don’t bother to enforce them. Just like their stupid 20mph signs.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Couple and teen daughter die after getting into trouble in the sea

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Girl fights for her life after three family members die in sea incident

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Abusive parents prompt withdrawal of Brighton church school’s lollipop man

Father who died off Shoreham beach was Palestinian refugee

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Load More
July 2015
M T W T F S S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031  
« Jun   Aug »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News