• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
18 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

Brighton and Hove health chiefs to attend A&E summit

by Frank le Duc
Monday 6 Jul, 2015 at 5:19PM
A A
0

Health chiefs in Brighton and Hove are to attend a summit as waiting times in accident and emergency (A&E) remain above target.

Key players at the Royal Sussex County Hospital are due to meet representatives from NHS England, the Care Quality Commission (CQC) and the Trust Development Authority on Wednesday (8 July).

The “Risk Summit” will discuss what is being done in A&E and other departments at the Royal Sussex as well as what is needed from organisations outside the hospital.

The CQC carried out a two-day unannounced inspection of A&E and other wards on the acute floor at the Royal Sussex a fortnight ago. The watchdog is expected to publish a report at the end of this month.

Matthew Kershaw
Matthew Kershaw

Matthew Kershaw, chief executive of Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals, the trust that runs the Royal Sussex, presented a report at a board meeting this morning (Monday 6 July).

Mr Kershaw said: “The challenges we face on the acute floor and in urgent care are complex, wide-ranging and not unique to us and, unfortunately, there are no quick and easy ways of overcoming them.

“However, we can and need to do more to address them.

“We will use the formal feedback from the CQC and the work of the Emergency Care Intensive Support Team (ECIST), who we also invited in to review our service earlier this month, to build on the work we have already started.”

A report to the board by Rick Strang, the interim director of operations (emergency care), said: “A risk summit has been convened on 8 July where progress on urgent care across the health and social care system will be a key focus of the discussion.

“The trust continues to see unscheduled care as our biggest concern and priority and we will work with colleagues before, during and after the risk summit on this.”

He also said: “While there are areas of good practice and care for patients across the emergency care pathway, the trust still has to improve to secure the levels of performance that patients can expect.

“In particular, while the overall plan for change has been articulated and covers the key areas, there is a view that there remains a lack of pace and some issues of clinical ownership around the requirements for change across the emergency care pathway from the front door of the Emergency Department, through the wards, theatres and specialist units and on into the discharge-facilitating practices at the back door.”

The board was told that performance had improved at the Princess Royal Hospital, in Haywards Heath, which the trust also runs.

But at the Royal Sussex the proportion of A&E patients being seen and treated, admitted or discharged in under four hours remains well below the 95 per cent target for NHS hospitals.

A report to the board said: “A total of 36 patients have experienced waits of over 12-hour breaches from decision to admit since April.”

Royal Sussex County HospitalIt also said: “Formal reporting from the CQC has yet to be received but informal feedback suggests that despite all the work undertaken and planned, the momentum of change in unscheduled care had not been adequately sustained and that there is some disengagement as some staff have commented that they have begun to feel they cannot directly improve the situation to deliver a better service.

“The implications of this and the normalisation of current delivery were central to the CQC informal feedback.

“Therefore, while they acknowledged the work that has been done, they were also clear that the improvements we have made so far have not gone far enough to address some of the issues we face and that we still have a lot more to do to get to where we need to be.

“This is something we had already recognised and the formal feedback when it comes will help us refocus our efforts to make the necessary changes to how we do things.”

At the board meeting the focus was on what could be improved in-house.

But external factors include

  • how much money is being paid to the trust to fund “unscheduled care”
  • whether ambulances bring too many patients to A&E when they ought to be treated elsewhere
  • how easily patients can find medical help when their GP surgery is closed
  • how promptly social services and care homes respond when patients are medically fit to be discharged
Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Brighton and Hove health chiefs to attend A&E summit

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

Ward councillors weigh in on row over communal bins

Brighton man wins £78k EuroMillions prize

Greens pick community campaigner to stand in latest Queen’s Park by-election

Free family art space opens in North Laine

Another Labour councillor quits party to sit as Independent

Conservation charity urges companies to use native wildflowers in displays

Farewell and RIP, Pirate Charles! Tributes paid to Brighton legend

Grieving parents concerned as maternity services told to improve again

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex finish bottom in One Day Cup group after defeat by Middlesex

by Ben Kosky - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
11 August 2026
0

Middlesex 354-8 (50 overs) Sussex Sharks 262 (43.5 overs) Middlesex (4 points) beat Sussex Sharks (0 points) by 92 runs...

Load More
July 2015
M T W T F S S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031  
« Jun   Aug »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
  • Derailed train passenger tells of ‘most frightening experience of my life’ 14 August 2026
  • Line to stay closed as investigators look into why train derailed 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News