The driver of the bus that crashed into the back of another bus in Brighton yesterday has suffered significant injuries, his family said.
And crash investigators are looking at the possibility that the driver lost consciousness immediately before the crash.
Three other people who were hurt in the crash in North Street remained in hospital this morning (Tuesday 7 July).
Brighton and Hove Buses managing director Martin Harris said this morning: “We have received updated reports on our driver’s condition from his family this morning.
“He has suffered significant injuries.
“We will be remaining in contact with them during the day and during the coming days.
“We are following news of the other passengers that were injured in the accident yesterday and our thoughts are with them all.
“I would like to thank everyone for the many messages of support we have received for our driver and for our staff at the scene. This has been really appreciated by us all.
“Equally the appreciation we all have for the outstanding work of the emergency services yesterday and the wonderful help of the neighbouring businesses in North Street is clear.
“Further investigations with VOSA and the police, including a thorough examination of the buses involved, are under way again this morning.
“As previously stated, we will be considering all possible causes during our investigations, including the vehicles and the health of the driver prior to the accident.
“We won’t be able to draw firm conclusions as yet but, in view of speculation and rumour around issues associated with the driver’s health, I can confirm that this aspect of yesterday’s events has been thoroughly examined and will be reviewed with our colleagues in the investigation.
“The facts indicate that appropriate actions were taken by my staff.
“As the investigation reaches a conclusion, I will make a further statement.”