• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
19 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Coombe Road area to be consulted on parking after becoming latest unofficial park and ride

by Jo Wadsworth
Wednesday 27 Jun, 2018 at 11:08AM
A A
1
Coombe Road area to be consulted on parking after becoming latest unofficial park and ride


People living in the Coombe Road area of Brighton are going to be asked whether they want a controlled parking zone (CPZ).

The developer behind the huge building project on the Preston Barracks site in Lewes Road will fund the consultation, including the use of consultants from outside the council.

The consultation is using outside help because Brighton and Hove City Council has only a small team for this sort if work.

But a deal with the developer, known as a section 106 agreement, means the work can now be fast-tracked to find out whether people living in the area want a controlled parking zone.

One resident, Jayne Hemming, led a deputation to the council’s Environment, Transport and Sustainability Committee at Hove Town Hall yesterday (Tuesday 26 June).

She said that cars suddenly filled the streets in her area on the first day when the Hanover and Elm Grove controlled parking zone came into force.

People in the Coombe Road area expected some displacement but they never expected the change to hit them overnight, she said, adding: “What we did not foresee was the impact of the controlled parking zone in Hanover.

“I dismissed the impact but it was immediate and acute.

“Overnight our streets were crowded with cars. Our roads are now dangerous for all residents.”

Labour councillor Daniel Yates, who represents Moulscoomb and Bevendean and was recently elected leader of the council, spoke in support of the deputation.

He said that it was fortunate people in the area had had the foresight to ask for money for a parking zone consultation from the Preston Barracks developer.

He said: “It is unfortunate that Hanover occurred and overnight cased drastic change for people living in the Coombe Road area.

“There’s been massive displacement of vehicles. We don’t know if it’s people who used to park in Hanover or those not paying for permits.”

Conservative councillor Lee Wares asked if experts brought in for this extra zone could be used to assess the wider needs.

Labour councillor Gill Mitchell, who chairs the committee, said that the section 106 money could only be used to deal with the area affected by the development.

In this case, it would mean looking at bordering areas too, she said.

But the hopes of people living in the Surrenden area were thwarted. They have also been asking for a fast-tracked consultation after being affected by displacement from neighbouring schemes.

Despite making a financial case, they have been turned down because the council’s capacity – it has a small team of experts working in parking zones – means that all other schemes are dealt with according to a previously agreed timetable.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 1

  1. Leo says:
    8 years ago

    No shortage of staff when it comes to collecting permit fees!

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Huge response after four get in trouble in sea by Shoreham

Couple and teen daughter die after getting into trouble in the sea

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Coombe Road area to be consulted on parking after becoming latest unofficial park and ride

Brighton Wheel could be back by next summer

Free family art space opens in North Laine

Brighton campaigner on trial over Hamas ‘support’ posts

Ward councillors weigh in on row over communal bins

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Load More
June 2018
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
252627282930  
« May   Jul »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News