• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
20 February, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

Babes in the Wood father sobs as he denies abusing and murdering his own daughter

by Frank le Duc
Tuesday 20 Nov, 2018 at 10:18PM
A A
0
Man arrested over ‘Babes in the Wood’ murder of two Brighton girls

Nicola Fellows and Karen Hadaway

The father of a murdered nine-year-old girl sobbed as he denied killing her and told a jury how he identified her body at the mortuary in Brighton.

Barrie Fellows, 69, shed tears as he denied murdering his daughter Nicola and her friend Karen Hadaway, also nine years old, known as the Babes in the Wood.

Mr Fellows said: “Identifying your daughter’s body … that must be every parent’s worst nightmare.”

He said: “It’s difficult enough talking about it even now. I walked in there and there was a sheet over my little girl up to the neck. You’re not allowed to touch.”

He said that he had 50p for her and asked if he could give his daughter her pocket money for that week before putting the 50p piece into her hand.

At the Central Criminal Court – better known as the Old Bailey – Mr Fellows was also asked whether he was party to Nicola being filmed in a pornographic video.

“No!” he said. And he said “No” again when asked if he had watched a homemade pornographic film featuring his own daughter.

Under cross-examination, Mr Fellows was asked by barrister Joel Bennathan: “Were you anything to do with her death?”

Close to tears, Mr Fellows was more forceful in his response as he again said “No!”

Mr Bennathan is defending former roofer Russell Bishop, 52, who lived in Stephens Road, Hollingdean, and who is standing trial charged with murdering the two girls.

He was tried in 1987 and acquitted by a jury at Lewes Crown Court but, after advances in DNA science brought fresh evidence to light, the verdict was quashed so that unusually he could be tried again.

His barrister told the jury that police and prosecutors had spent 32 years pursuing the wrong man for the murders – in Wild Park, Brighton, in October 1986.

He asked Mr Fellows, formerly of Newick Road, Moulsecoomb, about his alibi, claiming that there was a missing hour.

The retired labourer had left work at a house in Woodruff Avenue, Hove, at 5pm but was said not to have turned up at home until 7.30pm.

Mr Fellows, who was in the witness box for 90 minutes this afternoon, said: “You are trying to mislead me, sir. It’s not happening. I believe them times were correct.”

Murder victims Nicola Fellows and Karen Hadaway

He denied having gone to Wild Park before going home on Thursday 9 October – the evening of the girls’ death – when their lifeless bodies were left in a hidden “den”.

But he accepted that that he had said to Karen Hadaway’s mother, Michelle Johnson, that her daughter “had been in the wrong place at the wrong time”.

Mr Fellows said: “So had Nicky. They both shouldn’t have been in Wild Park.

“I didn’t like my children going out after dark anyway. They were banned from the park after dark. It isn’t safe – as has been proven.”

He had, he said, told his daughter that the “bogeyman” lived in the park to try to put her off going there after dark.

Brian Altman, prosecuting, said: “What is being suggested, so that nobody is left in any doubt, is you are being accused of having killed Nicola.

“You are being accused of having killed Karen. This is what is being suggested to you – that you sexually assaulted your own daughter and Karen in that den, having punched Nicola in the face. Do you understand that?”

Mr Fellows denied the claims and left court in tears while Mrs Johnson looked on from the back of the court, also in tears.

The bodies of Nicola Fellows and Karen Hadaway were found in a clearing or den in Wild Park in Moulsecoomb

Earlier Mr Fellows was asked about his temper and episodes of violence towards his daughter and his ex-wife’s plain-speaking grandmother.

Asked if he was someone with a bad temper, he said: “I am – or was.”

He had hit his daughter around the head, he admitted, giving her “what was commonly called a thick ear.”

And he threatened to cut her fingers off when she was accused of stealing – a threat that he would never have carried out, he said.

And when he broke his then-wife’s grandmother’s nose, it was an accident, he said, adding: “I don’t deliberately punch older ladies on the nose.”

The police were called but didn’t bring charges, Mr Fellows said.

His lodger at the time, Dougie Judd, had signed on in the morning of Thursday 9 October at “the Labour Exchange” and then spent the day working with Mr Fellows, the jury was told.

Russell Bishop

But Mr Judd told the jury that claims about him being filmed having sex with Nicola was a lie.

Mr Bennathan said: “Did you get mixed up with Barrie Fellows in a bad way? Did you get mixed up with Barrie Fellows and paedophilia? Did you ever have an improper relationship with Nicola?”

Mr Judd said no, adding that when he first heard the claims, he thought that it was a wind up.

Both Mr Judd and Mr Fellows were interviewed by police in 2009 but no charges were brought.

Mr Altman said: “The allegation is that you were in a video with Nicola either completely naked or semi naked, having sex with Nicola. Is there any truth in it?”

Mr Judd said: “There is no truth in it whatsoever – total lies.”

Bishop denies two counts of murder.

The trial continues.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Council plans to house more homeless families in council flats

Café can become gym after plans approved

Four surgeries set to move into new medical centre

School building to become temporary charity hub

Babes in the Wood father sobs as he denies abusing and murdering his own daughter

Man arrested for perverting justice in Cityclean investigation

Trial set for Brighton man charged with trying to rape child

New mural encourages tourists into the North Laine

Hove man given ‘slavery and trafficking risk order’

Hedges to go at King Alfred as demolition prep-work continues

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Brighton Festival at 60

Brighton Festival at 60

19 February 2026
Caroline offer ‘Total Euphoria’ at Chalk

Caroline offer ‘Total Euphoria’ at Chalk

19 February 2026
Full programme announced for the 60th edition of Brighton Festival

Full programme announced for the 60th edition of Brighton Festival

19 February 2026
Please Do Not Touch Preview

Please Do Not Touch Preview

19 February 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Manager of Brighton and Hove Albion’s women team dismissed after allegations

Brighton and Hove Albion dumped out of FA Cup by Liverpool

by PA sport staff
14 February 2026
5

Liverpool 3 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Curtis Jones’s first goal in over a year paved the way for Liverpool...

Brighton and Hove Albion boss trusts in teens in FA Cup tie at Anfield

Brighton and Hove Albion boss trusts in teens in FA Cup tie at Anfield

by Frank le Duc
14 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion boss Fabian Hürzeler has handed another start to two teenagers as the Seagulls face Liverpool at...

Residents upset by removal of match day guest parking permits

Manchester City fan banned over assault after Brighton and Hove Albion match

by Frank le Duc
14 February 2026
0

A Manchester City fan has been banned from going to matches for three years for attacking a cyclist after a...

Own goal agony for Brighton and Hove Albion at Aston Villa

Own goal agony for Brighton and Hove Albion at Aston Villa

by PA sport staff
11 February 2026
0

Aston Villa 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Jack Hinshelwood scored a late own goal which handed Aston Villa a...

Load More
November 2018
M T W T F S S
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
2627282930  
« Oct   Dec »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Teenage BMW driver banned – again 19 February 2026
  • Gross misconduct found after police officer deceived vetting 19 February 2026
  • Fatal crash witnesses sought by police 18 February 2026
  • Killer awaits sentence in prison 17 February 2026
  • Elections in May could have knock on effect on vulnerable residents, says council 17 February 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News