• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
16 February, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

Serial offender jailed after stealing from Brighton shop

by Frank le Duc
Friday 11 Jan, 2019 at 11:33PM
A A
0
Serial offender jailed after stealing from Brighton shop

Stephen Slark

A serial offender has been jailed for four years after stealing from a Brighton shop and threatening security guards.

Stephen Slark, 41, also burgled a DIY shop, Lewes Crown Court was told.

Sussex Police said: “A prolific offender has been jailed following his 43rd conviction in Sussex.

“At 5.03am on 30 September 2018, police were called to B&Q in Brighton Road, Shoreham, after an intruder alarm was activated.

“Officers attended and discovered a glass panel at the front of the premises had been smashed, and a number of boxed power tools – fitted with security tags – were discarded close by.

“A man was spotted inside the building, who then ran along one of the aisles towards a fire exit.

“Further units arrived and a containment was put on the building, before the suspect emerged from the rear, where he was detained and arrested. He was identified as Stephen Wayne Slark, 41, a scrap metal dealer, of Butts Road, Southwick.

“When challenged, Slark claimed to have nothing to do with the burglary, insisting he had stopped there to go to the toilet. He was searched and a knuckleduster was found in his pocket.

“Slark made no comment in interview. However, CCTV from the store showed only one person present at the time of the burglary and fresh blood retrieved by crime scene investigators from the point of entry was proven by DNA analysis to belong to him.

“Slark had driven to the store, despite being disqualified from driving for four years in April 2018. On searching the vehicle, officers discovered more than £5,000 worth of power tools inside.

“He was charged the same day with aggravated burglary and driving while disqualified, and was remanded in custody. The following day he was released by the courts with a monitoring tag to prevent reoffending.

“However, less than two months later, on 24 November, Slark was further arrested after stealing hundreds of pounds worth of goods from Superdry in Brighton and threatening security guards, and while in custody he broke his monitoring tag.

Stephen Slark

“Police again remanded him in custody this time he remained on remand. On 20 December he pleaded guilty to aggravated burglary and driving while disqualified in relation to the B&Q incident, theft in relation to the Superdry incident and an assault from July.

“A burglary is ‘aggravated’ if the person carrying out the burglary is in possession of a firearm or imitation firearm, explosives, or a weapon of offence in the commission of the offence.

“At Lewes Crown Court on Friday 4 January, Slark was sentenced to three years’ imprisonment.

”However, his conviction triggered suspended sentences for further convictions in 2017 and 2018, which added another year to his sentence (four years’ imprisonment total).”

Detective Constable Noel Simmonds said: “The courts have repeatedly given Stephen Slark the opportunity to reform, and time after time he has thrown that compassion back in their face.

“It is concerning that he was carrying an offensive weapon with him whilst burgling B&Q and the sentence imposed shows that the courts shared the same concern.

I can only hope that the sentence handed down by the Recorder, Paul Bowen, gives Her Majesty’s Prison Service enough time to address the causes of his offending, but at the very least the public will be protected from him for the next couple of years.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Car showroom to become supermarket

Parents ‘not told’ about last minute changes to schools admissions

Former Labour mayor quits party to sit as an Independent

Serial offender jailed after stealing from Brighton shop

Potholes a priority, council says

At least 55 babies who died at Sussex NHS trust ‘may have survived’

Man whose XL Bullies savaged family dog avoids jail ‘by a whisker’

Council bin boss sentenced over A27 police chase and crash

Chicken shop refused late night licence extension after breaches

Brighton to get first high-street weight loss jab service

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Brighton’s grassroots ‘Homegrown Festival’ is back!

Brighton’s grassroots ‘Homegrown Festival’ is back!

15 February 2026
An aural onslaught from GBH and friends

An aural onslaught from GBH and friends

14 February 2026
Stella Rose & Bande Á Part in action in Brighton

Stella Rose & Bande Á Part in action in Brighton

13 February 2026
Enter The House Of Life

Everyone Is Welcome At The House Of Life

13 February 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Manager of Brighton and Hove Albion’s women team dismissed after allegations

Brighton and Hove Albion dumped out of FA Cup by Liverpool

by PA sport staff
14 February 2026
0

Liverpool 3 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Curtis Jones’s first goal in over a year paved the way for Liverpool...

Brighton and Hove Albion boss trusts in teens in FA Cup tie at Anfield

Brighton and Hove Albion boss trusts in teens in FA Cup tie at Anfield

by Frank le Duc
14 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion boss Fabian Hürzeler has handed another start to two teenagers as the Seagulls face Liverpool at...

Residents upset by removal of match day guest parking permits

Manchester City fan banned over assault after Brighton and Hove Albion match

by Frank le Duc
14 February 2026
0

A Manchester City fan has been banned from going to matches for three years for attacking a cyclist after a...

Own goal agony for Brighton and Hove Albion at Aston Villa

Own goal agony for Brighton and Hove Albion at Aston Villa

by PA sport staff
11 February 2026
0

Aston Villa 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Jack Hinshelwood scored a late own goal which handed Aston Villa a...

Load More
January 2019
M T W T F S S
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28293031  
« Dec   Feb »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Primary school teacher charged with sexually assaulting two children 14 February 2026
  • Police staff member spared prison for having child porn 14 February 2026
  • Council workers attacked while trying to clear flooded roads 13 February 2026
  • Driver, 73, arrested as pedestrian dies in crash 11 February 2026
  • Jury clears Sussex PC of controlling and coercive behaviour 9 February 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News