• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
18 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Son of woman who died in Brighton care home E Coli outbreak wins apology

by Jo Wadsworth
Friday 25 Jan, 2019 at 3:03PM
A A
0
Brighton care home declared safe after dealing with outbreak of e-coli

Maycroft Manor

Maycroft Manor

A man whose elderly mother died as a result of an E Coli outbreak at a Brighton nursing home has had his complaint about how her illness was dealt with upheld.

Maycroft Manor in Carden Avenue, Patcham, was one of a number of homes run by Hallmark Care Homes where residents and staff were infected with E Coli in June 2016. The nationwide outbreaks were eventually blamed on unwashed salad leaves.

At the time, Public Health England said two residents and one staff member were infected. An ombudsman report into the son’s complaint published yesterday reveals that his mother, who was the first person in the home to be affected, later died in hospital.

As well as the three who tested positive for E Coli, a further nine had loose bowels, five bloody diarrhoea.

The son, referred to in the report as Mr B, complained that care home staff failed to follow the advice of a GP on 20 June who told them to call back if his mother’s loose bowels continued, and to take a stool sample.

The ombudsman agreed that staff had not called the GP back when her diarrhoea continued, which delayed her admission to hospital by several hours.

However, the hospital initially made a diagnosis of diverticulitis, only concluding she was infected with E Coli several days later.

According to care home records, the mother did not produce any more stools after the GP’s advice until the following afternoon, when a paramedic who was attending a different patient at Maycroft told them to admit her.

Six days later, the home finally informed Public Health England (PHE) that 10 residents and two staff members had diarrhoea.

PHE called the hospital, which told them two patients, including Mr B’s mother, had tested positive for E Coli. The home was then advised to close the home to new admissions and transfers.

It reopened fully after a CQC inspection on 26 July gave it a full bill of health. Hallmark Homes has since made 20 changes to how its care homes operate as a result of lessons learnt.

Mr B made two complaints to the care home in 2016, and in response Hallmark agreed to waive the four week notice period and provide another four weeks credit, refunding him a total of £8,760.

The following year, the PHE published a report which said suboptimal infection prevention and control within Maycroft was a concern and a there had been a delay in reporting the outbreak due to a change in management of the home, lack of communication and lack of awareness of of what constituted an outbreak.

Mr B complained once more, but the care home had not seen this PHE report (which was different to a publicly available one) and told him he had exhausted their complaints procedure.

In their report, the ombudsman said: “I have found fault in that the care provider failed to follow the advice of the GP on 20 June 2016, delayed reporting the outbreak, had inadequate infection control procedures in place and failed to deal with Mr B’s August 2017 complaint.

“I cannot speculate about whether but for fault the outcome for Mr B’s mother would have been different. Nor can I speculate about what led Mr B’s mother to contract E coli as that is not the Ombudsman’s role.

“I therefore consider Mr B’s injustice is limited to his frustration, uncertainty and the time and trouble he has had to go to pursuing his complaint.

“The Care Provider has already provided a significant financial remedy. However, that relates to different matters to those I am considering.

“As remedy for this complaint the Care Provider has agreed to apologise to Mr B for the fault I have identified and pay him £500.

“I am satisfied no further remedy is necessary for the inadequate infection control procedures as those have been addressed following the involvement of Public Health England.”

A spokesperson from Hallmark Care Homes said: “Our deepest sympathies and apologies go to the resident’s family for the very sad events that took place in June 2016.

“We were devastated by the regional outbreak attributed to salad leaves. We have worked closely with all relevant stakeholders and authorities, including Public Health England and Brighton and Hove’s City Council environmental health team to fully understand what happened.

“We took immediate action and reviewed our infection prevention and control policies and we now have comprehensive measures in place to protect residents and team members.

“We take concerns raised by family members very seriously and have engaged fully with the resident’s family during this process, including extensive written communications, however we are very sorry that an error meant one of their later letters did not receive a reply.

“We are committed to providing excellent relationship-centred care for all residents, which is reflected by the home having a 95% approval rating from families on the independent comparison website, carehome.co.uk.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Son of woman who died in Brighton care home E Coli outbreak wins apology

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

Ward councillors weigh in on row over communal bins

Brighton man wins £78k EuroMillions prize

Greens pick community campaigner to stand in latest Queen’s Park by-election

Another Labour councillor quits party to sit as Independent

Free family art space opens in North Laine

Farewell and RIP, Pirate Charles! Tributes paid to Brighton legend

Conservation charity urges companies to use native wildflowers in displays

Grieving parents concerned as maternity services told to improve again

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex finish bottom in One Day Cup group after defeat by Middlesex

by Ben Kosky - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
11 August 2026
0

Middlesex 354-8 (50 overs) Sussex Sharks 262 (43.5 overs) Middlesex (4 points) beat Sussex Sharks (0 points) by 92 runs...

Load More
January 2019
M T W T F S S
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28293031  
« Dec   Feb »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
  • Derailed train passenger tells of ‘most frightening experience of my life’ 14 August 2026
  • Line to stay closed as investigators look into why train derailed 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News