• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
20 February, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Former Labour councillor bids to become Brexit Party MP

by Jo Wadsworth
Wednesday 3 Jul, 2019 at 2:51PM
A A
6
Former Labour councillor bids to become Brexit Party MP

A former Hove Labour councillor has been shortlisted by the Brexit Party to become one of their parliamentary candidates.

Tom Bewick was vocal in his support for Brexit while representing Westbourne ward, but quit the party two months ago, partly over the party’s reluctance to endorse leaving the EU. He had already announced he would not be contesting his seat.

On Sunday, Mr Bewick was one of 100 men and women who walked through a Brexit Party rally having been introduced as the party’s future candidates.

None of them have been named by the Brexit Party, and the tweet above posted by one of the 5,000 attendees has since been deleted.

Mr Bewick declined to comment and referred queries to the Brexit Party press office, which said: “Candidates are currently long-listed. At this stage no seats have been allocated.

“We will be releasing the full list of PPC names against the seats they will contest in due course.”

In 2017, he put his name forward to become Labour’s parliamentary candidate for Brighton Kemptown, but was beaten by Lloyd Russell-Moyle, who has been outspoken in calling for a second referendum.

Like the Brexit Party MEPS, he also has strong opinions about national anthems, having tweeted last year: “Watching the big cup final – national anthem playing, God Save the Queen.

“My six-year-old daughter says she doesn’t know it! That’s how anti-patriotic and PC our schools system has become. Shocking really.”

Mr Bewick had formerly been the council’s education spokesman, a role he stepped down from following the reversal of controversial cuts to the youth service.

He was previously the chief executive of Dragons Den tycoon Peter Jones’ academy, the National Enterprise Academy, but quit alleging financial mismanagement.

Mr Jones denied the claims, which an investigation found no evidence of, and said the pair had fallen out over a string of arguments, including the purchase of a leather sofa for Mr Bewick’s office.

Before that, he was an adult skills advisor to Tony Blair’s government.

Although most if not all of his local Labour colleagues were staunchly pro-Remain, including MPs Peter Kyle and Lloyd Russell-Moyle, last week, his local Labour group, the Hove Constituency Labour Party (CLP) passed a motion urging the party to honour the 2016 referendum result.

At the 2016 referendum, 68.6% of people voting in Brighton and Hove opted to remain.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 6

  1. Gordon says:
    7 years ago

    I for one am astonished our schools do not teach six year olds how to sing God Save The Queen. This truly is political correctness gone mad. By the age of four I could sign God Save the Queen, Land of Hope and Glory, I Vow To Thee My Country and about 200 other patriotic tunes. If I got so much as a word wrong I was lashed with a wooden board. And it never did me, or Mr Bewick any harm. In fact, I am sure we both think about the days we were lashed with a wooden board as we recline on our leather sofas to the soothing melodies of God Save the Queen. When oh when will someone save us from this anti-patriotic nightmare?

    Reply
    • John says:
      7 years ago

      Gordon. You sound a bit of an extremist. Why not start evening classes to teach the National Anthem?

      Reply
  2. Christopher Hawtree says:
    7 years ago

    First he wanted to close down Hove’s Carnegie Library (and outraged residents by claiming that his children had run screaming from it), now this!

    When he quit the Council he left residents to infer that he wanted to spend more time with his money.

    I cannot see his getting anywhere in Hove and Brighton on this sudden Brexit return, although he might take botes from Labour in some areas.

    Reply
  3. Chris P says:
    7 years ago

    Why should schools teach the national anthem? Surely if his 6 year old daughter doesn’t know it (and he feels its so important) that is more a case of bad parenting than poor education.

    Reply
    • Duncan says:
      2 years ago

      Why not ? They’re teaching useless stuff like how girls can have a penis. The National Anthem is the least of the country’s problems.

      Reply
  4. Pingback: Who are the 112 Brexit Party MP Candidates? It's Anyone's Guess – Byline Times

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Council plans to house more homeless families in council flats

Café can become gym after plans approved

School building to become temporary charity hub

Four surgeries set to move into new medical centre

New mural encourages tourists into the North Laine

Former Labour councillor bids to become Brexit Party MP

Trial set for Brighton man charged with trying to rape child

Man arrested for perverting justice in Cityclean investigation

Hove man given ‘slavery and trafficking risk order’

Drinks licence granted for site just south of St Peter’s Church

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Aussie pub-punkers Mini Skirt announce Brighton gig

Aussie pub-punkers Mini Skirt announce Brighton gig

20 February 2026
It’s time to get all Bleary Eyed

It’s time to get all Bleary Eyed

20 February 2026
Brighton Festival at 60

Brighton Festival at 60

19 February 2026
Caroline offer ‘Total Euphoria’ at Chalk

Caroline offer ‘Total Euphoria’ at Chalk

19 February 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Manager of Brighton and Hove Albion’s women team dismissed after allegations

Brighton and Hove Albion dumped out of FA Cup by Liverpool

by PA sport staff
14 February 2026
5

Liverpool 3 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Curtis Jones’s first goal in over a year paved the way for Liverpool...

Brighton and Hove Albion boss trusts in teens in FA Cup tie at Anfield

Brighton and Hove Albion boss trusts in teens in FA Cup tie at Anfield

by Frank le Duc
14 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion boss Fabian Hürzeler has handed another start to two teenagers as the Seagulls face Liverpool at...

Residents upset by removal of match day guest parking permits

Manchester City fan banned over assault after Brighton and Hove Albion match

by Frank le Duc
14 February 2026
0

A Manchester City fan has been banned from going to matches for three years for attacking a cyclist after a...

Own goal agony for Brighton and Hove Albion at Aston Villa

Own goal agony for Brighton and Hove Albion at Aston Villa

by PA sport staff
11 February 2026
0

Aston Villa 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Jack Hinshelwood scored a late own goal which handed Aston Villa a...

Load More
July 2019
M T W T F S S
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031  
« Jun   Aug »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Teenage BMW driver banned – again 19 February 2026
  • Gross misconduct found after police officer deceived vetting 19 February 2026
  • Fatal crash witnesses sought by police 18 February 2026
  • Killer awaits sentence in prison 17 February 2026
  • Elections in May could have knock on effect on vulnerable residents, says council 17 February 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News