• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
22 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Business

Building work expected to displace venomous snakes behind Portslade homes

by Frank le Duc
Tuesday 13 Aug, 2019 at 4:11PM
A A
3
Planners urged to back scheme to build 125 homes in Portslade

An aerial view of the site of 125 new homes in Mile Oak, bounded by the A27 Brighton bypass to the north

People living near a major building scheme could have venomous snakes slithering in their gardens if excavated soil is reused on the site.

Adders have already been relocated once as part of plans to build 125 homes between Overdown Rise and Mile Oak Road in Portslade.

Now the developer wants to use excess soil to add a landscape feature which would mean relocating the snakes a second time.

This would save the estimated 7,000 lorry journeys that would be needed to remove the soil from the Mile Oak site.

But only last month a dog was bitten by a snake – believed to have been an adder.

The incident happened in Gorse Close, which is next to the Clarion Housing Group scheme.

North Portslade ward councillor Peter Atkinson said that adders had been moved to the northern end of the site.

Councillor Atkinson said: “They have been travelling back to their original nesting sites which, of course, are no longer there.”

While adders are venomous and can cause a nasty inflammation, their bite is rarely fatal. They are most dangerous to people who are young, old or ill.

Clarion’s proposal has drawn opposition from county ecologist Kate Cole. She said that, when other reptiles were being taken to another site – or translocated – last year, “significant numbers (of adders) were caught, with all being retained on site”.

The housing association’s aim, working with building contractor Thakeham Group, was to use the excess soil not just to build a landscaping feature – a tussocky grass bank.

The aim was also for the proposed embankment to act as a sound “bund”, reducing traffic noise from the A27 Brighton bypass.

Councillor Atkinson said: “We’ve tried to canvass local opinion and it’s about three to one in favour of using the soil on site at the moment.

“The extra traffic the development will create is still a major worry, as is the strain it will put on GP services.

“Parking won’t be a problem though as there are more than enough spaces on site. Flooding also remains a worry.”

Councillor Peter Atkinson

Neighbours will have a chance to learn more from Clarion and Thakeham staff at an exhibition at Portslade Sports Centre next Tuesday (20 August). Invitation letters have been sent to about 300 nearby homes.

Thakeham project director Gary Gill said that it was an informal event and people could ask questions about the route for site traffic and what would happen during construction work.

Councillor Atkinson and his ward colleague Councillor Anne Pissaridou have both walked the proposed route with a transport official from Brighton and Hove City Council.

Lorries would turn off Fox Way into Thornhill Rise, then into New England Rise and Graham Crescent, down Graham Avenue, into the other end of Graham Crescent, and up Overdown Rise.

The two Labour councillors believe that another route for site traffic may be needed.

And they are keen that – if Chalky Road and Graham Avenue are used – lorries are not on the roads when children are heading to and from school.

Mile Oak Primary School is at the southern end of Graham Avenue and the Portslade Aldridge Community Academy (PACA) is in Chalky Road.

An aerial view of the site of 125 new homes planned for Mile Oak, bounded by the A27 Brighton bypass to the north

Work on the £35 million new estate is expected to last until June 2022, with Clarion having agreed a £24 million contract with Thakeham for the construction phase.

The plans are for 8 one-bedroom flats, 16 two-bedroom flats, 40 two-bedroom houses, 54 three-bedroom houses and 7 four-bedroom houses, making 125 homes in total.

Of those, 40 per cent of the homes will be classed as “affordable”, or low-cost, with 28 of them for rent and 22 for shared ownership.

The other 60 per cent – or 75 of the homes – will be for shared ownership but at the full market price.

The public event next Tuesday (20 August) is due to take place at Portslade Sports Centre from 6pm to 8pm.

Anyone unable to attend can email questions to portslade@thakeham.com.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 3

  1. Eddie G says:
    7 years ago

    They should cut out the middle man and build the homes for the snakes. Snakes need houses and these developers just want to build the houses for people. Build houses for snakes. I would vote for that.

    Reply
  2. Jennie Cockburn says:
    7 years ago

    Seriously????
    What do they expect when they’re going to be living in the South Downs??? Leave the f*ING wildlife alone.

    Reply
  3. Charlie says:
    7 years ago

    Whi was here 1st!!! Leave it as it is.
    Sort the bloody recycling out 1st its crap

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Labour picks candidate for Queen’s Park by-election

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Building work expected to displace venomous snakes behind Portslade homes

Two Brighton and Hove homeless charities given government funding boost

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

High drama as Sussex and Warwickshire end day two finely poised

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
21 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 84-3 (23 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3 overs) Sussex (3 points) lead Warwickshire (3 points) by...

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Load More
August 2019
M T W T F S S
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728293031  
« Jul   Sep »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News