• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
20 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Cost of major council schemes set to go up following government interest rate hike

by Jo Wadsworth
Thursday 17 Oct, 2019 at 3:06PM
A A
1
Brighton seafront study wins national praise

Madeira terraces fenced off. Picture by Ken Frost

The Madeira Terraces restoration will not be able to take advantage of low interest government loans any more. Picture by Ken Frost

The cost of future major council projects will rise following a decision by the government to hike the cost of new loans.

The Public Works Loan Board (PWLB) has been a valuable source of funding for a variety of projects up and down the country.

In Brighton, the council borrowed £36million which it then lent to the i360 at a slightly higher rate.

The cost of that loan is unaffected by the rise, but future projects – which could include new social housing or the restoration of the Madeira Terraces – will not be able to benefit from the lower rates.

A council spokesperson said: “As a result of the government’s announcement to increase rates, the higher cost of borrowing will inevitably increase costs of investment in the city.

“However, the council had taken advantage of recent low rates and in the last seven months has borrowed £36m at historically low fixed rates.

“This borrowing was part of planned treasury management actions including providing funding for existing investment plans in building new homes.

“The interest rates through the PWLB during 2019 have been much lower than the market predicted. The viability of capital investment projects such as the housing joint venture or Madeira Terraces are not therefore affected as they had been modelled on higher rates.

“Other market lenders are now more competitive and will potentially offer better rates than the PWLB. The council has already been contacted by market lenders with competitive lending offers, although the council has no immediate need to borrow.”

The rate hike to 2.8% instead from 1.8% was announced last Wednesday, at the same time the overall amount available to councils rose from £85billion to £95billion.

The Treasury’s Local Government and Reform team said the decision to increase the interest rate was taken because “some local authorities have substantially increased their use of the PWLB in recent months, as the cost of borrowing has fallen to record lows”.

In December, the Bureau of Investigative Journalism published research showing the number of local authorities investing in commercial property in the hope of replacing reduced government funding with increased rental income had doubled in the last two years.

Today, the council’s policy and resources urgency committee is being asked to approve a new investment property decision, as part of its ongoing asset portfolio rebalancing.

In 2014, a new strategy was drawn up to manage the council’s property and land, more than 630 commercial properties which currently bring in an annual income of more than £10million.

From April 2014 to September last year, the council raised £31.8million from selling off property – mainly from the sale of former council offices King’s House on Hove seafront.

In January this year, the council bought offices in Phoenix House in West Street for £6.8million.

The property investment being discussed at today’s meeting is marked as confidential, and it’s expected public and the press will be excluded from the meeting.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 1

  1. saveHOVE says:
    7 years ago

    I360 loan renegotiation issue must be decided this autumn On their agenda?

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Couple and teen daughter die after getting into trouble in the sea

Girl fights for her life after three family members die in sea incident

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Father who died off Shoreham beach was Palestinian refugee

Cost of major council schemes set to go up following government interest rate hike

Brighton Wheel could be back by next summer

Huge response after four get in trouble in sea by Shoreham

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Load More
October 2019
M T W T F S S
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28293031  
« Sep   Nov »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News