• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
23 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

Brighton fish and chip shop worker given last chance by judge after cannabis factory conviction

by Frank le Duc
Friday 8 Nov, 2019 at 1:58PM
A A
6
Brighton fish and chip shop worker given last chance by judge after cannabis factory conviction

Harry Imbimbo

A Brighton fish and chip shop worker who helped run a cannabis factory was given a last chance by a judge yesterday (Thursday 7 November).

Harry Imbimbo, 28, was given a two-year prison sentence suspended for two years, having pleaded guilty to being part of a conspiracy to produce cannabis.

His co-defendant, Jacqui Narvaez-Jimenez, 54, was jailed for three and a half years for her role in running the cannabis factory.

Narvaez-Jimenez, who had no previous convictions, had denied the offence – and a charge of abstracting electricity – but was convicted by a jury.

At Hove Crown Court, Judge Christine Henson told Imbimbo that he had been failed by the system but that he was finally receiving the help that he needed.

She told the court: “If I see him again, I will lock him up.”

Imbimbo, who works in a chip shop in King’s Road, at the bottom of Ship Street, Brighton, was ordered to wear an electronic tag for three months and obey a 10pm to 8am curfew. He was also ordered to carry out 15 days of rehabilitation activity.

Judge Henson told Imbimbo, also known as Harry Rogers or Junior Imbimbo, of First Avenue, Lancing: “You are easily led and swayed by others to do things. It seems to me that there have been a lot of system failures up to this point.

“This sentence will hang over you for the next two years. If you don’t comply with the conditions or you commit a new offence, you will be sentenced for the new offence as well as having to serve the two years.

“I hope I don’t see you again, Mr Imbimbo.”

Solicitor advocate Jason Halsey, for Imbimbo, said that when police had been looking for him, he handed himself in and said that he was entirely responsible for the cannabis factory.

Mr Halsey added: “He’s not a leader of men. He’s a follower.”

Piers Reed, prosecuting, had just told the court that the cannabis factory had been set up in a building in Pier Road, Littlehampton.

It had been adapted and cannabis was being dried out there to be prepared for sale on the streets.

Harry Imbimbo

Mr Reed said: “There was a cycle of production. It was a relatively sophisticated operation but we’re not dealing with a sophisticated individual.”

The cannabis factory came to light after a fire at the premises, possibly resulting from a bodged attempt to bypass the electricity meter.

Referring to Imbimbo, the judge said: “He’s got an appalling record but nothing like this.”

The judge heard that Narvaez-Jimenez was a mother of two with a “positive good character” as several references suggested.

Her solicitor advocate Kevin Light quoted from them, saying that she was “good, kind, hard working … a supportive person”. Another referee called her “a fantastic person who’d given … huge support”.

Narvaez-Jimenez, of Ardingly Drive, Goring, had worked as a volunteer at the Citizens Advice Bureau in Worthing.

But she owned the building used as a cannabis factory and had a significant role in the operation, the court was told.

The judge said that the factory was found only because of the fire. It contained 79 plants – enough to make almost 6kg of cannabis for street sale.

The haul was described outside court as having been worth tens of thousands of pounds.

Judge Henson ordered the destruction of Narvaez-Jimenez’s phone and, jailing her, said: “This was an operation capable of producing significant quantities for street use.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 6

  1. gilbert bligh says:
    7 years ago

    What purpose does it serve jailing her for 3 and a half years? Surely a non custodial sentence is appropriate for this sort of offence and person – 6kg of herbal cannabis is a relatively small amount and is not a class A drug – meanwhile arguably far worse drugs in alcohol and tobacco legally sold everywhere.
    The British justice system is a joke – locking harmless people up and letting harmful people stay on the streets… like the scumbag who smashed a bottle in the face of the Korean student.
    There is so much reform needed – the system is broken

    Reply
    • Tell thetruth says:
      7 years ago

      Where you at the case?? Do you know them?? Jacqui deserved what she got. The judge was fair. Jacqui was controlling, manipulative and believed she was above the law. The evidence spoke for itself. What is printed in this article is a miniscule look into what was really going on. She got found not guilty on a few other charges due to circumstantial evidence. Her sentence could of been so much worse.

      Reply
      • ? says:
        7 years ago

        You seem to have a real interest in this case. We’re you a jury member or did you view the trial?

        Reply
  2. Truthwillout says:
    7 years ago

    This has been misprinted and facts were not properly provided. These two people were convicted of 2 completely different offences just happened to be in the same trial. Again another example of police corruption. A woman of 54, no previous arrests or convictions in all of her time, who was the landlord and had no knowledge of this offence, also being a supportive member of the church and community, who’s only crime was being to trusting by renting a property to a individual with adequate identification and through the usual process. She was found not guilty on the other charges due to facts and this one was only on circumstances because of her link to the property. No forensic evidence, or anything to link her to this except ownership of the building, which was up for rent and sale with estate agents. Such a tragic outcome for someone who helps so many and have been left without her care. A real loss to the community.

    Reply
  3. Shaming says:
    7 years ago

    What a real shame. People getting suspended sentences for a lot more, this woman seems like she has been let down by the system. For just owning a property. The man, having a history of offending and given a community sentence. What a miscarriage of justice.

    Reply
  4. John says:
    7 years ago

    What a joke!!!! So the person quoted by the courts as having an appalling criminal record gets a suspended sentence. Yet the person who has no criminal record and of good character gets 3.5 years for renting her house out. 77 plants ! Seen people get less for 100s of plants. This justice system is absurd. I feel for the lady sentenced and Hope she is ok. I would totally be destroyed if this happened to myself. As I previously rented out my house and was used as a cannabis factory. Myself and this lady are the victims of these crimes

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Jury convicts man of raping 14-year-old girl

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Brighton fish and chip shop worker given last chance by judge after cannabis factory conviction

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Girl, 6, dies in hospital after being pulled from the sea with sister and parents

Constance Marten given permission to appeal against her sentence

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

by Frank le Duc
23 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion are preparing to host Aston Villa in their opening fixture of the Premier League season this...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex beaten by Warwickshire in three-day thriller

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
22 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 207 (61.5 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3) and 206-9 (53.1 overs) Warwickshire (19 points) beat Sussex...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

High drama as Sussex and Warwickshire end day two finely poised

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
21 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 84-3 (23 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3 overs) Sussex (3 points) lead Warwickshire (3 points) by...

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Load More
November 2019
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
252627282930  
« Oct   Dec »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Motorcyclist injured in crash with car 22 August 2026
  • Fourth member of family pulled from water in Shoreham dies 21 August 2026
  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Online child abuser given 13-year sentence 19 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News