• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
23 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

Campaigner, 73, demands ‘deathtrap kerb’ repairs after breaking pelvis in fall

by Jo Wadsworth
Tuesday 12 Nov, 2019 at 4:10PM
A A
2
Campaigner, 73, demands ‘deathtrap kerb’ repairs after breaking pelvis in fall


A veteran community campaigner is demanding the city council move a “deathtrap dropped kerb” after she broke her pelvis when her mobility scooter slipped there.

Valerie Paynter, 73, was riding along Sackville Road when her new scooter slid off the kerb at the junction with Livingstone Road and tipped over last Wednesday afternoon.

Since then, she has been at the Royal Sussex with two breaks to her pelvis – but to add insult to injury, when she tweeted the council about it today, its Parking and Transport account replied suggesting the photo above was staged.

The kerb is next to a storm drain, and successive resurfacing of the road has raised the tarmac, creating a deep drop into the drain.

Valerie said: “The road goes straight down into that drain in a really steep way.

“It dips right down into a hole and it takes up quite a lot of the dropped kerb.

“I thought I had my scooter lined up so I could make it. But my chair got over sideways and tipped over straight into that drain.”

Passers-by came to help with blankets and one young woman, a physiotherapist called Saffie, stayed with her until the ambulance came.

Valerie said: “When I got my chair in September I had no idea what I was going to be up against. I’ve lived here since 2002 and even when I was walking with a stick I struggled to get over that kerb.

“People keep saying I should sue the council, but I would rather not sue them, I would rather make a deal with them where they fix this dropped kerb.”

A council spokesperson said: “We were extremely sorry to hear of Ms Paynter’s accident and have apologised for the insensitive and inappropriate tweet which suggested that it was ‘staged’.

“We are taking this issue very seriously and have arranged for the kerb to be inspected as a matter of urgency. We have been in touch with Ms Paynter to discuss her accident further and wish her a speedy recovery.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 2

  1. Valerie says:
    7 years ago

    To the unknown lady who made the 4:20 ambulance call and stayed the (hour?) it took to arrive – you’re an angel: thanx so much!

    To ‘Adam’ & Chris Hawtree who got my Power Chair back to my flat, I was just so grateful.

    Thanks too to the kind people getting blanket, something under me on the wet pavement… just such wonderful support!

    It all helped create a feeing of safety. Blessings and kudos!

    Reply
  2. Christopher Hawtree says:
    7 years ago

    It was a shock to have a call with this news, and I went along, spoke with the excellent ambulance men as Valerie Paynter’s arms shook with shock and cold after being on the ground for some forty minutes. She is being valiant with it all, but it is a grim irony that something which should bring greater mobility ends up leading to less mobility (for now). The pavement drops on the west side of Sackville Road are much better designed.

    Meanwhile, when I visited Valerie the other afternoon with some things and news of local events, there was another patient, who strolled by in a dressing gown. I said, “what are you doing here, Michael Gove? I did not know you were ill!” The fellow replied, “you’re not the first to say that I look like him! What makes it worse is that I can’t stand the man. I shall have to do something about it.”

    Good to have a laughter on a hospital ward.

    One thing’s for sure is that Valerie Paynter is not letting this great pain – and it is that – prevent her stirring up the troops.

    Frantic mistake by the Council to say that the photograph was “staged”. I thought it paid somebody a lot to handle social media.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

New bus route to start next month

Pub tile developer asks court to make council pay his costs

Palm house turned into butterfly garden

New mayor takes over in Brighton and Hove

Campaigner, 73, demands ‘deathtrap kerb’ repairs after breaking pelvis in fall

Councillors vote to close oldest school in Brighton

Phone-free restaurant gets permanent home

School plans 10ft fence around playing field

Father pays tribute to daughters who drowned off Brighton beach

Odeon developer asks permission for 12-month ad shroud

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Oh To Believe in Another World: Shostakovich Symphony No.10

Oh To Believe In Another World

23 May 2026
Robocop vs The Terminator vs Gabriel Featherstone

Robocop vs The Terminator vs Gabriel Featherstone vs direction

23 May 2026
We Are Warriors, Cab Road Tunnel, Brighton Festival

We Are Warriors, Cab Road Tunnel, Brighton Festival

23 May 2026
Whisky Tango Foxtrot, Lantern Theatre, Brighton Fringe, May 22&23rd 2026

Review: Whisky Tango Foxtrot!

23 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Welbeck double sinks Liverpool at Brighton and Hove Albion

Welbeck deserves a World Cup place, says Brighton and Hove Albion boss

by PA sport staff
23 May 2026
0

Danny Welbeck deserves a place in the England World Cup squad, according to Brighton and Hove Albion head coach Fabian...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain gods smile as Sussex draw with Somerset at Taunton

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
18 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 253 (71.1 overs) and 113-7 (57.4 overs) Somerset (15 points) drew with Sussex (10...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

by Mark Tiro
17 May 2026
0

Leeds United 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Dominic Calvert-Lewin struck a stoppage-time winner as Leeds dealt Brighton’s hopes of...

Load More
November 2019
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
252627282930  
« Oct   Dec »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Biggest hospital in Sussex marks two key milestones 23 May 2026
  • Former assistant head awaits sentence for ‘sexting’ boy of 13 23 May 2026
  • Detective arrested on suspicion of drink driving 21 May 2026
  • First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Sussex 20 May 2026
  • Man jailed for burglary, theft and fraud 20 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News