• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
21 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Some operations cancelled at Royal Sussex after inspection uncovers safety concerns

by Jo Wadsworth
Thursday 1 Dec, 2022 at 12:01AM
A A
0
Brighton hospital flies ‘thank you’ flags


The health watchdog has demanded urgent action at a Brighton hospital after suspending some specialist operations.

The Care Quality Commission (CQC) undertook an unannounced inspection of the gastrointestinal surgery department at the Royal Sussex County Hospital in August after receiving concerns about its safety.

The CQC had issued the hospital with a warning notice and told it to make improvements to surgery as a whole in April, with urgent conditions attached.

The full report, published on Thursday, reveals the CQC has suspended upper gastrointestinal surgery at the hospital.

The gastrointestinal surgery department of the hospital is rated “inadequate” while the hospital as a whole is rated “good”.

The inspection found gastrointestinal surgery wards were short-staffed, there had been an increase in patient falls and medicine errors due to staff tiredness, there were not enough cancer nurse specialists, and that senior medical staff “did not share a culture that was respectful or supportive”.

Death rates in upper gastrointestinal surgery were found to be twice the national average – however, this figure “sat within the standard deviation confidence limits”.

There were three upper gastrointestinal surgical consultants at the hospital – fewer than the four to six consultants required by the NHS.

Carolyn Jenkinson, CQC head of hospital inspection, said: “Following our inspection of surgery at the Royal Sussex County Hospital, I am concerned our teams have not seen any improvements, particularly in the upper gastrointestinal services.

“Despite issuing the trust with a warning notice and imposing urgent conditions following our previous inspection, the lack of pace means we have taken action to suspend non-urgent upper gastrointestinal services surgery until we are assured the trust can keep people safe.

“The trust leadership need to take ownership of the issues they are facing by having far better governance and tackling the issues we have highlighted.

“Our inspectors observed nursing staff providing consistent, safe, dignified care. However, there were some who told us that because they were tired and didn’t have enough time to monitor patients, they felt they were letting the people they care for down.

“We will reinspect to ensure improvements are being made and won’t hesitate to take further action if needed to protect patients.”

University Hospitals Sussex NHS Foundation Trust, which runs the hospital, said improvements have been made since the inspection four months ago.

Dr Rob Haigh, chief medical officer, said: “Since inspectors visited in August, we have been addressing their findings and made sure patients who required surgery received it at other hospitals.

“In September, we recruited a new specialist surgeon to bring staffing into line with recommended levels, and we are reorganising nursing activity to increase specialist care time for our patients.

“We also commissioned an external review that has provided us with the assurance that clinical outcomes for upper GI surgery from 2020 to 2022 were within the expected range.

“We continue to work to help us resume the specialist service as soon as possible.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Some operations cancelled at Royal Sussex after inspection uncovers safety concerns

Two Brighton and Hove homeless charities given government funding boost

Voters to quiz by-election candidates at hustings

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Lewes line to reopen next month

Father who died off Shoreham beach was Palestinian refugee

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Load More
December 2022
M T W T F S S
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728293031  
« Nov   Jan »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News