• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
24 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Business

Deliveroo told to close down its ‘dark kitchen’ in Hove

by Jo Wadsworth
Tuesday 20 Mar, 2018 at 2:30PM
A A
5
Deliveroo told to close down its ‘dark kitchen’ in Hove

Deliveroo has been told to close down its ‘dark kitchen’ in Hove because it breaches planning regulations.

Deliveroo opened its Editions hub at Saxon Works in Olive Road in April last year – one of several around the country which have also been dubbed “dark kitchens” and often operate out of prefabs.

Chefs from city restaurants Pho, Gourmet Burger Kitchen, Moshimo, VIP Pizza, Chilli Pickle and more work at the Hove unit to provide delivery-only meals.

The unit itself is not open to customers and Deliveroo claims it does not fall under the same hot food planning category as a high street takeaway, instead arguing it should be considered industrial use, for which the unit already has planning permission.

But Brighton and Hove City Council’s planning department this month served it with an enforcement notice, requiring it to cease operation as food preparation and delivery – and remove the vents and other additions which have been put on the outside of the unit.

A council spokeswoman said: “Deliveroo believed they could operate the premises under a B1 use class, but after research and consideration we made the judgement that this use class isn’t suitable for the activities being undertaken.

“The enforcement notice requires the cease of a food preparation and delivery (Sui Generis) use. The Local Planning Authority considers that the use is causing harm to the amenity of occupiers of nearby residential properties.”

However, Deliveroo maintained they do have the correct permissions. A spokesman said: “Deliveroo Editions is an exciting innovation in the food industry that people love because it allows them to order great new food to their door. These new purpose built kitchens – that are just for delivery – are an excellent way for restaurant brands to grow in new areas without needing to open a whole new restaurant.

“As with many new innovations, we understand that some people may have questions about how it works. We have repeatedly been advised that the site in Hove has the right permission for Editions to operate, supported by decisions made by other councils where Editions have opened in their boroughs. We continue to want to work with the council to address any concerns they or residents may have.”

Concerns have been raised about the operation of the unit by Green councillors Phelim Mac Cafferty and Lizzie Deane, who have previously spoken out about the impact of Deliveroo delivery drivers on the city.

Cllr Mac Cafferty said: “Deliveroo has stated that Editions is based on community engagement – but we have no assurances over issues like road safety, air quality, noise from increased delivery vehicles and new kitchens, or how these will be monitored.

“Furthermore, I’m concerned that local restaurants may find themselves forced out by this uncompromising business model. This will see Deliveroo front the costs of setting up delivery only takeaway kitchens while our smaller, independent sit down restaurants will hardly be able to compete.”

Councillor Lizzie Deane added: “This is yet another symptom of the burgeoning ‘gig economy’ phenomenon which rides roughshod over workers’ rights and local communities.

“Even though the company claims that the kitchens will be away from residential areas, my concern is that noise blight from delivery bikes will affect the whole city. I already receive many complaints from residents about this, and I fear these plans could make matters worse.”

One neighbour has made an official objection to the hub. Ayman Ibrahim of Olive Road said: “Since this business has opened the noise in our home has dramatically increased from several areas, be it from door slamming late into the night to the loud noise from some of the motorbikes used by staff.

“Further to this there has been a blatant disregard from staff when spoken to about noise levels on several occasions. This has been our family home for over 16 years now, and was a very peaceful environment until recently.”

The notice was served on 1 March and delivered to Deliveroo on 5 March. It takes effect on 5 April and must be complied with by 5 July. However, Deliveroo does have the option of appealing, which would effectively put the notice on ice until a planning inspector rules on it, which would probably take several months. The spokesman said the company was considering its options.

In its planning application for the installation of external ductwork and ventilation, which was submitted retrospectively in August last year, Deliveroo’s planning consultants Firstplan said: “Deliveroo has occupied this unit for approximately four months and it has been a popular addition in the local area, breathing a new lease of life into this building and creating a large number of jobs for the local economy.

“The unit is operated under the company’s Deliveroo Editions concept which are hubs that host a collection of hand-picked restaurants, all specially designed for food delivery. There will be no public access to the unit.

“Prior to occupation by Deliveroo the site was in use as a Class B8 warehouse (occupied by electrical supplier QVS) for storage and distribution purposes for well over 10 years.

It adds: “It is important to note that the operation does not provide any facility for customers to pick up their food directly and the operation is entirely restricted to the interior of the building.

“The concept relates only to the preparation and dispatch of food as a commercial operation. For these reasons, the unit is solely used as a commercial kitchen which falls within the classification of a B1c use class as defined by the Town and Country Planning (Use Classes) Order 1987 (as amended).

“Indeed, this is typically taken to comprise: ‘any industrial process being a use which can be carried out in any residential area without detriment to the amenity of that area by reason of noise, vibration, smell, fumes, smoke, soot, ash, dust or grit’.

“The Deliveroo Editions concept is entirely consistent with the B1c classification. Indeed, this classification has been found acceptable by Local Planning Authorities across England and is well established.”

This application for the ductwork and ventilation remains undetermined, on the basis that the application relates to a use which doesn’t have planning permission. The enforcement notice also requires their removal.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 5

  1. Catherine K says:
    8 years ago

    Deliver-poo

    Reply
  2. Fishwife, 49 says:
    8 years ago

    It’s as if Oscar Wilde had been reborn.

    Reply
  3. Florian Von Ostberg says:
    8 years ago

    Aren’t these actually local restaurants in these kitchens? I love Chili pickle. What’s the big deal here?

    Reply
  4. Kinell says:
    8 years ago

    I’d suggest they move to a proper industrial park where there are no residents surrounding their noisy, smelly property and consider investing in electric bikes.

    Reply
  5. Nobbie says:
    8 years ago

    Uber tried to create a new class of employee, now Deliveroo wants to create a new class of commercial premises. Avoid these blood sucking vampires and their ridiculous, flowery rhetoric. We know you are only about profit.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Pub tile developer asks court to make council pay his costs

Former Brighton teacher awaits sentence for ‘sexting’ boy of 13

Palm house turned into butterfly garden

Phone-free restaurant finds permanent home

Deliveroo told to close down its ‘dark kitchen’ in Hove

New bus route to start next month

Opposition overlooked and left in the dark, says councillor

New mayor takes over in Brighton and Hove

Hospital marks £860m project’s helipad and cancer milestones

Councillors vote to close oldest school in Brighton

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Max Cooper announces two 3D/AV shows

Max Cooper announces two 3D/AV shows

24 May 2026
Here’s a night out not to be missed!

Here’s a night out not to be missed!

24 May 2026
Irvine Welsh, Men In Love, Charleston Festival, 23rd May 2026

Irvine Welsh Delights The Charleston Festival

24 May 2026
Oh To Believe in Another World: Shostakovich Symphony No.10

Oh To Believe In Another World

23 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
All to play for as Brighton and Hove Albion host Manchester United

All to play for as Brighton and Hove Albion host Manchester United

by Frank le Duc
24 May 2026
0

Fabian Hürzeler has made three changes from last week as Brighton and Hove Albion host Manchester United in the final...

Welbeck double sinks Liverpool at Brighton and Hove Albion

Welbeck deserves a World Cup place, says Brighton and Hove Albion boss

by PA sport staff
23 May 2026
0

Danny Welbeck deserves a place in the England World Cup squad, according to Brighton and Hove Albion head coach Fabian...

Sussex Sharks open T20 Blast with a win

Sussex off to a winning start in the Blast

by Martin Smith - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
22 May 2026
0

Essex 191-5 (20 overs) Sussex Sharks 192-4 (16 overs) Sussex Sharks win by 6 wickets John Simpson hurried Sussex Sharks...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain gods smile as Sussex draw with Somerset at Taunton

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
18 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 253 (71.1 overs) and 113-7 (57.4 overs) Somerset (15 points) drew with Sussex (10...

Load More
March 2018
M T W T F S S
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728293031  
« Feb   Apr »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Woman dies as car and motorbikes crash 24 May 2026
  • Former assistant head awaits sentence for ‘sexting’ boy of 13 23 May 2026
  • Biggest hospital in Sussex marks two key milestones 22 May 2026
  • Detective arrested on suspicion of drink driving 21 May 2026
  • First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Sussex 20 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News